The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2015, 07:49 PM   #1
Emerson Biggies

Best P64 on a C&R for the price?

I'm ready to buy a p64 9MMMakarov. Have you purchased one lately? Where did you get it, how much did it cost? Most important, what was the condition?
Shipping is also a factor in the price. Are you happy with yours??
Thanks!
Old January 21, 2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Doyle

It seems the price for them has jumped almost overnight. The ones adverstised on Gunbroker now are listed at about $260 - but it looks like have been there for a long time with no takers. I paid about $150 for each of mine several years ago. The one I still have gets carried quite frequently. It is a small enough frame that it fits into a large front pocket (though it is a tad on the heavy side being an all steel frame).

They are very accurate little gun but the recoil snap bothers some people. Don't try to feed it anything heavier than 95gr ammo. Also, replace both the main and recoil springs (main spring with a lighter one to make the DA trigger pull lighter and heavier recoil spring to account for the stronger 9mmMak ammo that is currently on the market)
Old January 22, 2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Taroman

Mine came fro AIM Surplus last October.
Not hand picked or anything.
Very nice after the obligatory re-springing.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old January 22, 2015, 05:50 PM   #4
Doyle

Taroman, I see yours is the old style which I like better for pocket carry. The new style is a little easier to shoot if you like to thumb the hammer back for the first shot in single-action.
Old January 22, 2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Taroman

A pretty slick piece, for sure, wasn't aware there was a difference in them.

Old January 22, 2015, 08:24 PM   #6
Doyle

Quote:
A pretty slick piece, for sure, wasn't aware there was a difference in them.
Look at the hammer. They made a change in '72 from a rounded hammer to a triangle hammer spur. If you pocket carry, the rounded hammer is less likely to snag on your pants. The downside is that it is smaller to thumb if you want to shoot SA.
Old January 22, 2015, 09:30 PM   #7
Taroman

As mine's a '72, must have been among the last of the old model...

Old January 23, 2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Emerson Biggies

Biting the Bullet-hoping for a beauty

Nice picture Taroman and a fine looking piece. I just ordered thru SOG with hand selection ("Extra $10").

I will post a picture when it arrives early next week.

Doyle got me clued in to the springs I need and they are also ordered from Wolf.
Hafta' get this piece now or wait till the price goes up again.

We will see what the extra $10 got me.Maybe nothing????
Old January 23, 2015, 11:31 AM   #9
Taroman

I had good luck with SOG.
Ordered a nice VZ50 from them not long ago.
When you get the P64, check out the Hogue grip wrap, really tames it down.

Old January 23, 2015, 10:12 PM   #10
Emerson Biggies

Thanks Taroman, but aside from springs and stuff that doesn't show, I'd rather keep it original.

The only items I have ever had that makes a gun more pleasant to shoot was the shoulder stock I had with a Broomhandle Mauser and same for my Inglis Hi-Power. Neither one of those really needed any help, but they always drew attention at the gun club.
Old January 23, 2015, 10:19 PM   #11
Doyle

Quote:
I'd rather keep it original.
The grip wrap he's talking about is a little round rubber ring that you can slide over your grips. It only takes a second to slip it on or off so no worries about keeping it original. If you are cheap (like me) you can make your own by cutting a 2" wide cross section out of a small bicycle tire. Works just as good and is free (assuming you've got free access to an old bicycle tire).
Old January 24, 2015, 12:41 AM   #12
Mike in Va.

Southern Ohio Gun, have them for, $229.95.
Old January 24, 2015, 07:43 PM   #13
Emerson Biggies

Right Mike- SOG is Southern Ohio GUN- that is where my gun is comming from.

I'm cheap all right when it comes to loading my own. I will scope out the rubber grip modification and maybe after shooting my first magazine load,, the extra grip rubber will be made apparent to me.

I have read that the little pistol is not easy to hold onto. That is why the last gun I got was a CZ82 from Wideners. The CZ82 also has a built in problem! That is,...... you need a mag loading tool! The magazine spring is actually the front end suspension spring from a Czechslovakian Cadillac, stuffed in the mag by Superman. I bought the tool the....LULA which is a real LuLu! Works great.
Old January 24, 2015, 08:02 PM   #14
Metalboy

Hmmmmm......I'm wondering, because I'm a wanderer, how the Czechoslovakian army/police loaded theirs without hearing about the UpLULA.
I was born a hair South of them. I loaded mine too for years by hand. Of course not in Hungary, because I'm an American citizen by CHOICE.
Old January 26, 2015, 12:44 PM   #15
Emerson Biggies

Wasted $10????????????

It just arrived. Brown delivered it minutes ago.

Looks like a lot of holster wear on the nose.

What do you guys think? Did I blow $10 for the "hand picked model"????
Now we need to see if it will function. Be-back 2-morrow with results.
Old January 26, 2015, 12:57 PM   #16
Doyle

Quote:
What do you guys think? Did I blow $10 for the "hand picked model"????
It all depends on what the non hand picked models would have looked like. I'd give it a good cleanup first. Since you have already ordered the replacement springs, you have to remove the grips anyway. I'd give those a good cleaning. Use a soft toothbrush and a tiny bit of dish soap in water to clean the grooves. For the rest, get some very fine steel wool and some CLP. Give the metal parts (with the grips off) a shot of CLP then rub it down gently with the steel wool. It might take a couple of times to get it clean. Then, hose it off really good with an air hose. That will leave just a tiny film of CLP on the internals. Just before you reassemble the whole thing wipe the external parts with a clean dry rag.
Old January 26, 2015, 01:42 PM   #17
peggysue

$10 Not a waste.. I have two. Here is a picture of one that is a Training Pistoia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polish p64 trainer.jpg (88.7 KB, 35 views)
Old January 26, 2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Emerson Biggies

Hey PeggySue, I can't tell if yours has nose holster wear, like mine, because of the glare. I'd like to see a better picture, tho and an explanation about the paint job. Thank you for showing me yours and thanks for the comment about the $10 being worth it. I hope yours functions well.
I just stuck it out the back door and used a can of my wife's old "Eagle Brand Milk" for a target. (The short squat can. Expired in 2013) From 20 feet I hit it once with the 5th and last shot I had prepared in the magazine. Only 5 as the neighbors might complain.
I was pleasantly surprised that I had no trouble holding on to the piece. The Brown Bear Russian 9mm ammo was gentle on recoil and the trigger pull was not bad at all. I think this will be a fine carry gun.
Old January 26, 2015, 03:03 PM   #19
peggysue

It is a non firing training pistol. Has holes machined in the barrel and cuts on the slide. I thought it was kinda neat.
Old January 26, 2015, 08:45 PM   #20
Emerson Biggies

When you said "Training Pistol" I wondered if the training might have been in training painters!
How did such a neat pistol get chopped up to oblivion for training. I woulda' bought the common blue plastic training pistol instead. No matter what was wrong with it, a wall hanger or parts pistol would be worth more. Oh well, such is war!

The only cosmetic blemish on my new pistol is the neon sign on the slide with importer and manufacturers name, caliber, and country.

Now I must look up Doyles suggestion for cleaner, and find my NRA pistol disassembly book for getting the hammer spring out. I can see this pistol dis-assembles like my CZ82, but the hammer spring may be more difficult.

I'd still like to see more pictures of other P64's out there. Thank you!
Old January 26, 2015, 08:58 PM   #21
Doyle

Here you go young padawan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhMnRs6Gi0
Old January 27, 2015, 12:46 AM   #22
garryc

Mine is great, $165 as I remember. Put new springs in it but the safety would engage when you fired it. I changed the firing pin spring and that fixed that. Magazines are the issue, there are two types different in the feed lips. I bought two extras that will not feed. I just copied the good one and cut them back.
Old January 27, 2015, 01:56 AM   #23
Gunfixr

Got one several years ago, for $150, which was the point. A cheap, small, relatively powerful pocket pistol. Heavy for its size, but not bad. Wolff only had the recoil spring listed then, got the heavy one. A modified ppk spring replaced the hammer spring, as it took two men and a boy to pull the hammer back. It is the older rounded hammer, made in the 60s. I carried it a lot, and rusting was a constant fight, so I cerakoted it. Got like 4 extra mags for it. Still carry it on occasion. Sweet shooting little gun, quite a bit more accurate than expected.
Old January 27, 2015, 04:22 AM   #24
peggysue

here is my P 64 ($180) and training pistol ($100) I got in 2012 . They were inexpensive guns for my collection. Cut out guns are hard to find. Never have shot mine nor will.

Old January 27, 2015, 10:38 AM   #25
Taroman

Widener's is presently offering P64s for $200.00