The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 26, 2009, 07:37 PM   #1
hawkey

reblue a mid 60s savage 110 id,7mm

i'm new tho the forum,but have in the past,got a lot of good info from you guys,my problem right now is my old savage rifle has areas where the barrel has lost its blue.while i know that cold blue isn't the best,i just did my really old remington model 11 and it looks great.I had to heat up the barrel and repeat many times,but finally ,it worked pretty good.the savage barrel dosen' seem to react at all to the bluing at all ,am using birchwood super blue,,thanks in advance for any help.tom
Old August 26, 2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Inspector3711

hawkey

I've experimented with cold bluing myself. What you'll find is that if a barrel is too smooth the bluing won't take as easily. Often the metal is smoothist where the bluing has worn/rubbed off. I had a Blackhawk in the late 80's and experienced this. I ended up taking some fine steel wool to it and got better results. Also, it's a great idea to wipe it good with rubbing alchohol or hose it down with automotive brake cleaner right before you start. this will ensure that residual oil doesn't interfere.

Then the other problem with these products... They gradually turn gray over time. Brownells has some products that are reportedly better but I've only worked with Birchwood Casey. In the end I fear there is no substitute for a hot tank. You can always take a look at GunKote but I think you have to bake it on.

Don't know about you but I'd have to do that when the wife is gone for a day or two!