The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Shock&Awe

Winchester 1300 Defender Forend Problem

I've had my Winchester 1300 Defender for several years, and it's developed a problem with the forend grip not locking in place. If you pull back on it without pulling the trigger it will slide back and seems to get bound up somehow. Takes a good bit of strength to slide it forward. Does that make sense to anyone and is there a fix for this?
Old September 21, 2010, 02:03 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings Shock&Awe and welcome aboard,

Has this problem come up since you last disassembled your gun? My first thought was that the bolt wasn't locking-up and that's why you were able to cycle the action without pulling the trigger; but, that wouldn't explain the stiff operation. Obviously there's something wrong -- is it a broken part or a reassembly error? Have you taken the gun apart for a thorough cleaning and inspection since the problem started? If you don't have an owners manual, click this link.
Old October 2, 2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Shock&Awe

Thanks for the input Zippy. Yes, I have taken the shotgun completely apart, & cleaned, and I think I found the problem. It appears as tho the slide arm was actually slipping past the part of the trigger guard that is supposed to keep it locked in place until the trigger is pulled or the release button is pushed. That was the binding up feeling, it was getting wedged in between that part & the receiver. I worked on it for a while, trying to make everything line up the right way. Seems to be ok now. I'm hoping to take it out and shoot a box of shells soon. Hopefully it'll hold up without problems.