The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2011, 06:50 PM   #1
T-CAIN

Hornady or Forster Dies?????????

I have used Forster dies before and really like them, unfortunatly they were'nt mine and I had to give them back. I have heard that Hornady makes a good die but I thought I would ask here because I always get good answers on this forum. Most of my dies are RCBS and they work ok, but after using the Forster dies I want to try something differen't. They just seemed a lot more acurate than the RCBS dies as far as the bullet seating die. So I guess what I'm asking is pros and cons between Forstner and Hornady dies. Thank you.
Old October 25, 2011, 07:36 PM   #2
jdillon

You may want to look at Redding dies as well. Almost use them exclusively.
Old October 25, 2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Charlie98

I started with RCBS dies but moved on to Hornadys and am slowly replacing my old RCBS's with them. I'm not familiar with Forster, the only other set I have is a set of Reddings in .348... they are fine, too.
Old October 25, 2011, 08:06 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Both are great dies.

But I think for the money, you can't beat Hornady's sliding sleeve in their seaters. Great dies for sure.
Old October 25, 2011, 10:54 PM   #5
engineermike

The Hornady dies seem to be a little easier to adjust as compared to the RCBS. I started with the Hornady L-N-L Classic kit and dies so that may be why I think that. I have used both and don't believe you will be disappointed in either and both have good customer service. Redding are good dies too but come with a pretty hefty price tag (I have a couple of their taper crimp dies) but I have not used the Forester dies. I you buy a die set you are not pleased with I don't think it will be a problem getting someone else to buy them from you.
Old October 26, 2011, 07:16 AM   #6
PA-Joe

Plus you get a 15.00 box of bullets with the Hornady dies.
Old October 26, 2011, 07:26 AM   #7
wncchester

I have dies of every current brand and several that are no longer made and have used them a looong time. All dies work, all can produce better ammo than most reloaders are capabile - or willing - to make. That said, there are two places for dies; Forster and Redding are tied for first, all the rest are tied for third and it's not even a contest. Now, with that said, the difference isn't vast and very few factory rifles will ever know the difference.
Old October 26, 2011, 07:36 AM   #8
DaveInGA

+1 what wncchester said. If you want a top of the line seating die, go with the Forster or Redding seating dies. Personally, my choice would be the Redding in a seating die.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:02 AM   #9
Walkalong

I have not used the newer Hornady rifle dies, but I am hard pressed to believe they are better than Forster.
Old October 27, 2011, 10:12 AM   #10
snuffy

I will NEVER buy another Hornady die of any kind. They're built by a relative of Rube Goldberg. Using a rubber tape measure instead of micrometers. That sliding sleeve they use in their seater die has massive tolerances, the fit is sloppy because they don't spend the money for close tolerances .

The zip spin decapper rods were a copy of the collet held lee system, they couldn't get that right, so they changed to a semi-threaded rod. If you have trouble with yours slipping, give 'em a call, they'll ship you some of the new ones with the notches/threads that give the collets a grip on the stem.

Then there's that clip that holds the sliding seater chamber in the die. If you have a bullet that happens to grip that sleeve, it'll slip past that clip to come apart as it's withdrawn from the die. Good luck getting that clip to work again after the tiny tab has been sheared off.

Using Hornady and forster/redding in the same breath is comparing apple to oranges, not even in the same league. Like asking an "A" farm team in baseball to pitch in the majors, the batters would have fun!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 27, 2011, 10:25 AM   #11
swmike

For seating my preferred die is a Redding "S" die with the micrometer seating plug.

For Neck Sizing a Lee Collet and for F/L sizing again a Lee die. For "body sizing" back to Redding.

The only thing I like and use from RCBS, when it comes to dies, is the RCBS lock ring and that's only because of the wrench which works great on my progressive tool heads.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old October 27, 2011, 10:26 AM   #12
wingman

I have Hornady,RCBS and Lee, guess which I use most, Lee and I turn out excellent ammo. Perhaps a true bench rest professional may see a difference but not the average rifle target shooter.
Old October 28, 2011, 07:21 PM   #13
FtrPilot

Here is my recommendation:

Sizing die - EGW

http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-re...eloading-dies/

Expander die - Hornady Powder Through Expander Die (PTX)...make sure it is their new PTX die.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/20542

Powder Check - RCBS Powder lock out

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/536...s-lock-out-die

Seating die - Redding Competition Seater Die

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/734...uto-rim-45-gap

Crimp die - Lee Factory Crimp Die

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/716...cp-45-auto-rim

This "set" is not the cheapest solution, but I believe it is the best. I strongly recommend a powder check die. I believe the RCBS powder lock out die is best since it prevents the ram from traveling all the way up in the event of a squib load (no powder) or double charge. I also recommend seating and crimping with separate dies.
Old October 31, 2011, 08:32 PM   #14
jepp2

Quote:
For seating my preferred die is a Redding "S" die with the micrometer seating plug.
??? The Redding Type S die is a sizer die, not a seating die? Did you mean the competition seater die?
Old October 31, 2011, 08:51 PM   #15
BigJakeJ1s

Forster rifle dies. Hornady pistol dies (because Forster does not make pistol dies).

Other individual dies I like: Lee collet type Factory Crimp dies for rifle or bottleneck pistol cartridges (NOT the Carbide Factory Crimp dies for straight wall pistol cartridges).

Lyman (or Redding) M-type expander dies.

Cross-bolt style lock rings from Forster & Hornady.

Andy