The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2000, 09:07 PM   #1
Glock-A-Roo

I've had a Mossberg 590 (not the A1) for a while and would like to upgrade the simple brass bead sight.

Like many others, I've shied away from trying to get the factory front blade soldered on.

I am thinking of adding the Mossberg factory ghost ring rear sight, then using a MMC "banded" front tritium sight. This design clamps on to the barrel with no gunsmithing needed.

1) how can I find out if the MMC front blade is the proper height for use w/ the Mossberg rear ghost ring?

2) how reliable is a front sight that is clamped on instead of soldered?

Thanks!
Old August 17, 2000, 10:47 AM   #2
nedfig

I was just looking at the MMC web site and they say that their rear site works with Mossberg front sight, so It should work. I too am trying to go this route. I am about to call MMC to order the front sight band. The only problem is I have the 8 shot Model 500 so the magazine lug is at the end of the barrel making it difficult to install.

ned
Old August 17, 2000, 02:25 PM   #3
jcoyoung

I remember reading a post somewhere (was it here?) that someone had just bought the rear ghost ring sight and a new barrel with the front sight already attached. The receiver should already have the tapped holes for the rear sight so it would be an easy DIY job. Another benefit would be that the shotgun could easily be converted back to the regular bead sight setup. Might be something worth checking into.
Old August 17, 2000, 05:23 PM   #4
hksigwalther

As I recall (I don't have my 590 with MMC sites with me at the moment. I have my other 590s), the MMC 590 banded front sight blade has some vertical adjustability to it along with shims to ensure a proper fit of the band. It should be able to handle the Moss rear ghost ring without any problems due to adjustability at both ends.

------------------
- Ron V.
Old August 17, 2000, 08:33 PM   #5
Jeff, CA

MMC makes a sight with a notched band specifically for the Mossberg with the long magazine tube.

Old August 18, 2000, 09:25 AM   #6
nedfig

I ordered the MMC banded front sight yesterday and the guy that I talked to said not to use the notched band. He said it would look goofy turned around backards.

ned