The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2000, 10:58 AM   #1
Solitar

Especially considering that birdshot is aimed skyward, what is the maximum range at which various sizes are hazardous as opposed to merely being a heavy rain? Same for buckshot in case it is aimed skyward such as at a treed critter. How far away would 00 our 000 or 4buck still be likely to cause injury?

One of the reasons I ask is to determine the distance at which people should be kept back and away from a trap, skeet or sporting clays range. How far away should the exclusion fence be?
Old June 15, 2000, 05:24 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

One clay range around here has a 150 yard safety space, but I've no idea if that's more than enough.
Old June 15, 2000, 05:56 PM   #3
K80Geoff

Several of the clays ranges in my area have sporting clays stations set up in a circle around the shotfall area. The distance appears to be about 200 yards but I have never measured it off so this is a guess. Several times while shooting sporting clays I have been showered with spent shot from the trap ranges. I have seen several trappers complain of being hit with shot. Apparently trapshooters often load #6 shot to get better hits (shot larger than 7 1/2 is verboten on most ranges). I have never heard of trapshooters at the club complaining of shot from the Sporting Clays shooters.

Personally I would try to get as much distance as possible if I were setting up a range, especially if non shooters are in the picture. Also post signs prominently indicating the largest shot allowed, it only takes one jackass loading leftover #4 shot to cause problems.

Btw, one range has a herd of deer that graze on the grass in the shotfall area, they seem to know where to stand and not get hit, and the shooting doesn't seem to annoy them at all!

Geoff Ross
Old June 15, 2000, 05:57 PM   #4
Big Bunny

We use 300m for bird shot up to and excluding BR size #4 ...700m for all others and buck.

These are very conservative on purpose and take into consideration a 33 degree elevation (by an idiot) in a semi-circle from the firing point... as well as the possible "welding" of small pellets to form a heavier projectile. Unlikely - but possible- I am afraid.

Be cautious...I have a local story of a camera-man hit at 600m by a BB when taking shots of firers at a "safe " distance.

OK - OK it only just broke the skin and he was also a shooter, but if it was in the eye of an anti-gunner...well you can imagine the headlines !!!

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)
Old June 15, 2000, 09:26 PM   #5
Blue Jays

Big Bunny-

A person was hit by a BB at 600 meters? Sounds like there might be some anti-gunners writing the news stories in your local paper!

Interesting story, though.

I've often wondered myself the "maximum" range where the pellets could be considered dangerous to an adult who is dressed in typical garments. It would be useful to know when facing an armed adversary, too.

It's like, "Hmmmmm, he's out about 200 meters with a shotgun...I have moderate cover and I'm wearing jeans and a leather jacket with a .45 ACP. He's wearing a nylon jacket and has minimal cover."

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old June 17, 2000, 03:36 AM   #6
Big Bunny

Blue Jays -this report I mentioned was from a SSAA photographer in the 1960s and I agree it is inexplicable... but I fear possible. It was on a bird-hunt with beaters in VIC and he was getting some publicity shots for the Game Farm, who was holding the invited shoot. I supposed that someone had got their cartridges mixed up! These were BRITISH size BBs of course.

A bit like a certain american servics USAF gentleman we had shooting woodies(pigeons) in Suffolk in 1960s. We set the decoys and hide and 'left him to it' in a wheat field as he was an expert shot with a 12 bore.
We heard a LOT of shooting and came back 3 hrs later, to pick up his(many expected as he was a Sabre pilot and excetent shot) shot birds, (breasts of which make and excellent pie!)but only found 3...but they were in a real mess, with their insides literally blown out.The pilot retired to the big (manor)house swearing he "should have got 50" and couldn't understand his inaccurate shooting!

We were mystified too ...until the packets and empties were picked up behind him.

On each brown cardboard cartrige was printed "D>D - Lethal Ball" !! (war-time use by home guard - anti personnel) Someone must have sold him them!

So he did quite well after all really.

Any volunteers (Blue Jay?) for a quiet english country-lane walk 600yards away?

Not me

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)
Old June 18, 2000, 04:24 PM   #7
Big Bunny

Where are you Blue Jays.....

------------------