The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

870/500 dissasembly differences...

QUICK!!!! I am holding Juniors new to him 870 Express MAg (Don't ask me why he wanted a 3 1/2 gun that weighs so little)... Still had plug so I opened the mag tube and got the spring retainer out (WITH MY FINGER and removed plug... But I smelled that factory preservative so i am gonna do a filed strip on it for him. I see 2 TG pins I expect need pulled. The shell loader don't seem the same as a Mossberg. Mossberg just pops loose from holes in the receiver. Action bar removal and bolt are the last 2 concerns.
TIA
Brent
Old September 15, 2009, 12:11 PM   #2
GeauxTide

Just punch out the pins on the receiver and the trigger group and shell follower come out as one unit. You can clean away with a toothbrush and not fool with the action bars and bolt. The only time I did a complete disassembly was duck hunting a mile from the Gulf.
Old September 15, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I found the "Life, Liberty, etc" vid on youtube....
Brent
Old September 15, 2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

One advantage of the 870 is the ease at which it can be field stripped.
And, field stripping is all that's needed. Disassembly of the trigger group is no needed.

Here's an owner's manual that shows how to disassemble.
Its also recommended to disassemble and clean the magazine tube assembly too on a new gun, and periodically thereafter.
They'll also send you a manual free:

http://www.remington.com/library/dow...rs_manuals.asp
Old September 15, 2009, 07:39 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Dfaris, The video helped and it went back together fine. It was harder to get the action bars and bolt group in than my mossy. Had to push in on two springs which was a bit difficult with my mucked up arm.
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 04:47 PM   #6
USMCGrunt

And the disadvantage of the 870 is replacing parts. The shell latches are held in place by the trigger group and the ejector is held in by a screw on the Mossberg. On the Remington, these parts are staked in place and even when you restake parts back into the receiver, there is a finite number of times you can do this until you run out of receiver metal to perform another staking operation. Think this won't really happen? We had a few older 870s in the armory that were about 1 or 2 staking jobs away from being sent back to depot as unrepairable before we turned them back in for new 870MCS shotguns.