The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 7, 2009, 07:12 PM   #1
andyjs3589

Heard a noise downstairs while home alone

So a little background, I am a 20 year old college student living at home with my parents. About a week ago my parents left to go on vacation for a few days. They left my two brothers(12 and 16 years old) at my grandparents while they were gone. I was not expecting anyone to be home the whole time they were gone. So one night I am just sitting in my room upstairs, with all the doors locked to the outside, working on some homework and I hear a noise downstairs. I just disregard it thinking its the fridge or something. Then I keep on hearing something for around a 30 second span. So I quickly go to my gun safe with an electronic keypad, open it up and grab my gun, load it up and head to the top of the stairs. I have practiced this many times so it only take me about 20-30 seconds. Once at the top of the stairs I say "hello, is anyone there?" in a firm loud voice. I did not get any response, so I wait about another 30 seconds to see if I hear anything. I hear nothing. Then I hear the window in my brothers room opening. I either thought someone was breaking in or trying to escape knowing that I was there. I say "Who's there" all while grabbing for my cell phone in my pocket trying to call the police. I was convinced that an intruder was in the house or about to be entering. The response I got was, "Hey can you open the door I need my phone charger" it was my brother trying to break in, to get his charger. He used a ladder that is stashed behind our garage and must have known that his window would be unlocked. So I go downstairs and I am shaking at this point, I explain to him how stupid that was not telling me he was coming. He knew that I was prepared to defend myself if anyone ever broke in and knew that I kept ammo hidden close to the gun safe in case this ever happened.
Old July 7, 2009, 07:25 PM   #2
AK103K

We have two big roving burglar alarms, about 250 pounds worth of Rottweiler.

If someone were to just get close to the house without a ruckus, it would be a surprise, inside without permission just aint happening.
Old July 7, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
mskdgunman

We have a rule in the house. If you come home without warning, MAKE NOISE and announce yourself. That way, we know it's a friendly. If I hear someone/something moving quietly around in the middle of the night, there is something wrong. In your case, I probably would have done pretty much the same thing you did.
Old July 7, 2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Beentown71

Ever think of keeping one loaded in the safe? If it were a violent break-in I doubt you would have had time to open the safe and get it loaded. Just a thought.

Beentown
Old July 7, 2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You might also consider relocating that ladder. Never give the BGs an easy way in.
Old July 7, 2009, 08:42 PM   #6
sakeneko

Indeed. Of course, his kid brother would know where to find a ladder, where a bad guy probably wouldn't. But having it somewhere where a bad guy who had been casing the house could find it isn't good.

Otherwise, though, this doesn't sound like it came within a few critical steps of being a shooting, but the original poster was ready if it *had* been a bad guy. The original poster made plenty of noise so that the and gave the person he was hearing plenty of time to identify himself and explain himself. As things turned out, the burglar was his kid brother. If it had been an actual burglar who wasn't interested in a confrontation, he would almost certainly have left in a hurry.

If this were my kid brother, I think I'd have a little talk with him about that marvelous invention, the *door bell*, which can be found at that magical place, the *front door*. ;-) But all is well.
Old July 7, 2009, 08:46 PM   #7
johnboy1981

why didnt he ring the doorbell?
Old July 7, 2009, 09:03 PM   #8
andyjs3589

He did not think anyone was home, my car was in the garage so he couldn't see and all the doors were locked. Yes I told my dad about the ladder and he moved it into the garage. I would keep one loaded in the safe, but I know my mom would freak out if she found out that I did this. In this case I grabbed my shotgun, I wish I could feel safe enough from legal consequences to keep a magazine for my pistol loaded. I got a M&P9 for my 20th birthday, but under Ohio, maybe federal law, I am not allowed to posses it. I am only allowed to use it under the supervision of my parents. I just feel like I, or my parents would get charged with some ass backward violation of furnishing a firearm to a minor or something like that if I used my pistol in self defense. Also I live in a suburb, I would be kind of afraid of a 9mm bullet going into the house next door.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
You might also consider relocating that ladder. Never give the BGs an easy way in

That's a good Idea.

Good thing your brother was not hurt. As a kid I was constantly sneaking in and out of the house in the wee hours. Or I was sneaking someone or something out. I can't count how many times my mom and dad or neighbors thought I was a prowler. I'm lucky I never got shot or whomped over the head with a bat.

Last edited by Shadi Khalil; July 8, 2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:13 PM   #10
stargazer65

Your quick access safe is big enough for a shotgun?
Old July 7, 2009, 09:23 PM   #11
andyjs3589

http://www.gunvault.com/55005900.nxg
Old July 8, 2009, 12:45 AM   #12
bclark1

I could understand sneaking in if you wanted to keep something from mom and dad, but siblings should be on each others' side. He was dumb. It's still a good reminder to keep a flashlight or whatever else you need to identify potential targets.
Old July 13, 2009, 10:20 PM   #13
Terry A

I posted this story once before but would like to share it again because unexpected things certainly DO happen and no matter when they do happen, you absolutely have to make the exact RIGHT decision, often in less than ideal circumstances. Like when you're asleep in bed in the middle of the night.....

A while back on a Saturday night at 0200, I was sound asleep. Two of our 4 kids still live at home but were away. Just me and my wife at home. We're in bed and I hear the door knob of the bedroom door turn slightly but the door doesn't open. It's locked but it is a very weak door with a flimsy lock. It's really there just to do what it did, to make noise. Without waking my wife, I got out of bed and had a Springfield XD-45 aimed over a dresser along the wall that the door is on. Whoever comes in will not be able to see me unless they turn their head real hard to their left, but I can see clearly who comes thru. The door jimmied again and it opened this time. Just waiting to see a target when I see it's my WIFE! She had gotten up out of bed to use the bathroom and when she closed our door, it somehow locked. She went and got a butterknife and jimmied it instead of waking me up with knocks.....

It was a terrible feeling to have aimed a loaded gun at my wife, because she is precious beyond belief. Upon reflection, I still would have gotten up out of bed without waking her up and telling her what's going on, because that would have killed seconds, which do count in times like that. I figured it would be quicker to just get up and get positioned.

There have been many times over the years where a stranger came to the door or somebody heard something bang on a porch or something. It's always been false alarms at home so far. This one could have ended in disaster if I was not trained to identify your target before you shoot. I couldn't have lived with myself had I hurt her and it really made me feel sick for all those people who have accidentally shot someone they loved.

There have been other times when we heard something and I go outside the bedroom. She stays put with a Beretta M-92 and instrutions to MAKE SURE she sees who it is that comes back in the bedroom before she opens fire! I've always thought it best to announce to her that it's me coming back inside and so far, she hasn't gotten trigger happy. But we've trained and practiced a lot and all kidding aside, I do trust her if a bad situation happened.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old July 14, 2009, 07:53 AM   #14
andyjs3589

Believe me I know how you feel, I never pointed the gun at my brother, but I was very close to pointing it at him. Proper training at identifying a target is always essential. That is why I keep a surefire light right next to my safe. It would temporarily blind whoever came into my house while I could identify who they were and decide my next course of action from that. Also notifying that you are there, asking who is there can definitely scare them. They are now aware that someone knows about their presence in the house.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:58 AM   #15
Dragk913

I second the "Keep it Loaded".
It may sound cruel/gruesome (the truth usually is) but would you rather have your mom a little pi$sed at you (How often does she check the guns in the safe?) or be dead?
An unloaded firearm is merely a club. I don't know what type of area you live in, but with the economy plunging & unemployment going up, crime will go with it.

I'm glad no one was hurt, but PLEASE tell your brother to carry a house key, or atleast knock/ring doorbell. Or let you know when he's coming over..
Old July 15, 2009, 05:41 AM   #16
rshanneck2002

1968., i was always forgetting my house key and sneaking in thru the basement window,this went on and off for about 1 yr or so until one night i crawled thru turned on the basement light and my father had a .357 mag trained on me. never forgot my key again.he told me yrs latter he knew who it was by the way are dog reacted and also he knew i had been doing it for awhile and just wanted to teach me a lesson.one well learned and thank god for our dog at the time for wagging its tail and not barking like crazy,i guess he could smell me or something and knew who it was. he had a way of teaching me little lessons like that in life and god rest his soul,i miss my ole man,been gone for 12 yrs now.
Old July 17, 2009, 09:40 AM   #17
Alleykat

Quote:
I got a M&P9 for my 20th birthday, but under Ohio, maybe federal law, I am not allowed to posses it. I am only allowed to use it under the supervision of my parents
You can buy, in a private sale, and possess a handgun if you're 18 or over, and not be in violation of Federal law. Could be that Ohio law differs, though, as most of the "Y" states are just coming around to giving 2nd Amendment rights to their subjects.

When my youngest son was 18, I made sure that he was armed.
Old July 17, 2009, 01:22 PM   #18
Buck88

We have a pretty busy house, 7 people live here. Anyhow, my sisters boyfriend, whom I hadn't met yet, was forced to stay the night. They got home at about 3AM. I was awoken by a crash in the hallway, not loud but loud enough to wake me. My 12 gauge sleeps next to the bed, and I grabbed it up and headed towards my door. I lit my surefire mounted on the foregrip, and gave it a loud rack, followed by quickly opening the door and shedding light into the hallway and onto my sisters BF, who was ghost white, hands in the air, and **** trickling down his leg! Before I could say anything, his voice crackled telling me he was my sister's BF and he had to stay the night. He was trying to find the bathroom and bumped into a picture frame on the wall.

Needless to say we had a big family meeting the next day discussing what needed to be done when someone spends the night. This situation could have gone very wrong, very easily.
Old July 17, 2009, 08:23 PM   #19
Bob F.

"Don't shoot, Honey! It's me." SOP before cell phones when SWMBO or I arriving home when the other was, or might be, home. No kids in house.

Bob
Old July 18, 2009, 09:38 PM   #20
bdturner

Not to be judgemental but have you been trained in house clearing with a firearm? If not a better solution would be to arm yourself and get to a secure room lock the door and call the police.
Old July 18, 2009, 10:41 PM   #21
Trooper Tyree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck88
We have a pretty busy house, 7 people live here. Anyhow, my sisters boyfriend, whom I hadn't met yet, was forced to stay the night. They got home at about 3AM. I was awoken by a crash in the hallway, not loud but loud enough to wake me. My 12 gauge sleeps next to the bed, and I grabbed it up and headed towards my door. I lit my surefire mounted on the foregrip, and gave it a loud rack, followed by quickly opening the door and shedding light into the hallway and onto my sisters BF, who was ghost white, hands in the air, and **** trickling down his leg! Before I could say anything, his voice crackled telling me he was my sister's BF and he had to stay the night. He was trying to find the bathroom and bumped into a picture frame on the wall.

Needless to say we had a big family meeting the next day discussing what needed to be done when someone spends the night. This situation could have gone very wrong, very easily.
Doesn't sound like a very bright chap, admitting he was your sisters boyfriend and all at 3am. Faced with a girls brother with a 12ga I would have said, I'M A BURGLAR, I'M A BURGLAR, please don't shoot me.
Old July 19, 2009, 03:48 AM   #22
T. O'Heir

The 16 year old? And they're allowed to drive. They are a fun bunch to work with at a youth group though.
My brother's stepson was an idiot too. Kept forgetting or loosing his keys and thought getting in via a window was a good idea too. No guns, but a bat in big brother's truck driver hands had the same result. Told my idiot brother to get some military school brochures and leave 'em out, but I was ignored. Somehow the kid turned out ok.
"...I am shaking at this point..." Part of defending yourself, no matter when or where, is confidence. Carrying yourself like you own the place keeps the predators away.
Old July 19, 2009, 09:57 AM   #23
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

OP did good, he was prepared and nobody got hurt. Brother learned a lesson and won't be doing that again. I won't fault having to stop and reload when you are in your own room behind a locked door, it gives you a chance to wake up and calm down a little. A loaded gun at his bedside and the adrenaline rush could have made for an irreparable mess.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 19, 2009, 03:10 PM   #24
B.N.Real

I would cuss out my brother tell him how close he got to getting a bullet in his face.

Bang on the door next time.

Breaking into the house-not too bright.
Old July 20, 2009, 12:00 AM   #25
Archie

Andy, Terry, Buck...

My salutations to you all. You did exactly the right thing and refrained from doing the wrong thing. And, best of all, it worked right! If you can find me, you all can have a beer on me. I'm in Long Beach, CA, PM for details.

As for the prudence of 'clearing the house' or waiting for the police to arrive; if there are other family members - especially children - the police will just have to catch up when they arrive. Trained or not, like it or not, some things just will not wait.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/