The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 4, 2009, 05:36 PM   #1
cptmclark

Marlin 60 ejector

I'm trying to fix a model 60 that will not eject. I find no part listed as "ejector", although there is an "ejector lifter spring". Is the lifter also the ejector? The lifter does not come up far enough to serve as an ejector. Also, with both right and left extractors, i'm a bit fuzzy about how the ejection is supposed to work. There is a fixed part, that's in a slot in the boltface that looks like it could be an ejector, but it does not quite contact the case head. I'll be grateful for a brief desctiption of how the extraction works and which part I should be suspecting. Thanks.
Old July 4, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

Right extractor is a hook, left is smoothly rounded so the empty will roll out to the right. The ejector/lifter spring should be the part you want. One leg works on the lifter, the other leg lays in a groove on the left side of the feed throat opening and functions as the ejector. By the way, when you go to install it, the pins through the trigger group do not drive out (ask me how I know that). Remove the tiny c-clips and that side panel can then be removed--fun to put back, too. Here endeth the epistle. Goatwhiskers the Elder
Old July 5, 2009, 11:40 AM   #3
cptmclark

Hmmmm. Goatwhiskers, are you saying the spring itself is the ejector?
Old July 5, 2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Goatwhiskers

You comprende pretty good. The end of the spring leg hits the rear of the fired cartridge as the bolt goes back and kicks the empty out. Many modern guns use coil springs where one leg performs one function, the other leg performs another. Cheaper that way. Here endeth the epistle. Goat
Old July 5, 2009, 07:50 PM   #5
cptmclark

Well, if the end of the spring should contact the cartridge head, this thing is assembled all wrong. One end of the spring is under the lifter (hence the lift) and the other is clear off to the left edge of the reciver, way away from the cartridge.
Old July 5, 2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Goatwhiskers

Try putting it back where it belongs. I'm not looking at one right now, but you should be able to drop the trigger group and put the beast back in the little groove on the left top edge of the silver thing which is the feed throat. If it won't stay you may have to change the spring and/or the feed throat. These Marlins aren't complicated, but can be aggravating. I have fixed a few of the ejector springs by some judicious bending. Here endeth the epistle. Goatwhiskers the Elder
Old July 6, 2009, 03:29 PM   #7
cptmclark

Rifle fixed. Works fine, ejects fine, just fine. The most challenging thing was getting up the nerve to open her up, expecting a gadzillion (that's the next stimulus figure) various springs and parts to go flying everywhere. Very simple. Problem was I had to have it apart to see how it worked. Turned out some other ameture smithy had assembled it with the extractor/lifter spring jammed against the side of the receiver. So there was nothing in the ejector slot of the bolt. I would never had guessed theyd use the end of a spring wire for an ejector. Anyhow, many thanks. I feel really smart now
Old July 6, 2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Goatwhiskers

No problem. Glad I could help. Goat