The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2005, 11:03 PM   #1
gdstoo

Need help reloading the 300 ultra mag.

I have purchased a Remington model 700 in .300 ultra mag.I have enjoyed great success with the 180gr. speer deep shok bullet in my .300 Win mag.I would like to load the same bullet for the 300 ultra mag. What powder and primer would you suggest that I use in a 26 inch barrel to safely obtain 3300 ft./sec. Thanks, gds.
Old March 14, 2005, 10:38 AM   #2
bill k

Good luck on your ulra mag, I've been trying close to a year to get the right formula. My best grouping so far is using 180g nosler accubond bullets, 80.0g's of IMR 4350, with fed 215 primers. My latest trip I loaded a batch with CCI 250 primers with the same load and had a couple of high pressure indications, why a primer would do that I don't have a clue.
I reciently loaded up the 180g bullets with 79g of IMR4831 fed 215 primers. I made one trip to the range and my groups were .3 at 100 yards 3 shots. The next group was .4 3 shots. I'm going out tomowwow and check it out again.
I had problems with my ultra mag getting consistancey and found it needs to be cleaned ever 3 or four shots or my goupd go to ****.
The worst grouping I got was with IMR 7828.
Good luck hope this helps.
Bill