The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you answer your door armed?
Night and Day - I pack and show my M60 8 5.93%
Night and Day - but it is hidden from view 69 51.11%
Night only or stranger only - condition yellow 42 31.11%
Never - If you can make it past the bear traps and land mine - you can knock on my door. 16 11.85%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9, 2005, 02:52 PM   #51
perception

The other night, I was sitting at home. It was WELL beyond dark, and I had a knock on the door. I looked out the winow, it was about 4 adults and 8 kids out of a large cargo van parked on the street. Instead of answering the door, I went and got my gun. They were gone the next time I checked, and they left me some nice you're going to Hell if you don't turn your life around material, but what business they had coming to my door that late I will never know. I wasn't going to answer the door, but I was going to be very prepared if anything happened.
Old May 9, 2005, 02:54 PM   #52
jonathon

When I am home alone, the 12 gauge never leaves my side. We've been broken into twice, and are well off the road so.
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old May 9, 2005, 06:09 PM   #53
Edward429451

UT Air Assault, I totally agree with your last post.

Duxman, thanks.

Quote:
Set the claymores up foeward.
<fruedian slip?
Old May 9, 2005, 06:21 PM   #54
InToItTRX
Registration in progress

During the day I usually look through the peep hole, and if it looked like someone dangerous I would get one of my guns. During the night if I don't know the person the gun is with me before I open any door.
Old May 9, 2005, 10:58 PM   #55
pamick

My friends and family call before they visit, just as I do. I do beleive the days of "just dropping by" are gone. Like Ben Shepherd said, "If I don't know you, I won't answer the door period. I'm not paranoid, I just value my ME time." I live in the County Seat of a very rural county and don't expect ANYONE knocking on my door after dark. The last occasion was this past February. It was about 7 pm and suddenly someone was pounding on my door, and I mean POUNDING! I picked up the Para and and yelled "who is it?"
The answer I got was "we have to talk to you". "Who are you?" "We need to talk with you." The outside lights went on, I opened the door a bit with the wedge at my foot and the .45 in my hand.. they were "missionaries". Well, they got a fire and brimstone and "you #%@!!!" sermon from me they won't forget for a long time.
Old May 10, 2005, 04:06 PM   #56
Netzapper

In general, I don't have a weapon while I answer the door.

Today, though, I changed that. At around 11am, somebody rang my doorbell. So, I asked them through the intercom system who they were. The guy on the other end said, "Postman... [mumble mumble distortion] package for you."

But, I wasn't expecting any packages. Neither was my roommate. Furthermore, if it were the postman, he could have just left it in the entryway downstairs (I live in a three-unit apartment building). What's more, something just felt off.

So, I told him I'd be down in a second. Grabbed my pistol, slapped in a magazine of +P JHPs, racked the slide, and tucked it in the back of my belt under my shirt.

I went down and answered the door. Turns out it was the postman. No problem. But, I'm still glad I went with my gut feeling on that.
Old May 10, 2005, 04:14 PM   #57
Blackhorse

some years ago, the wife presented me with an x10 camera system, I have the monitor in my den, can flip between 6 cameras with the push of a button, if I see someone at the front door that looks like they don't belong there then I answer with an auto tucked in the belt.
Old May 10, 2005, 06:17 PM   #58
steelersfan0000

Well i can say that I only answer the door armed when i am home alone or it is late at night. I live in a good neighborhood so i never saw the need.
Old May 10, 2005, 06:49 PM   #59
MGRacer

I carry whenever I'm not at work -- so I have one close at hand at home and it is with me (concealed) when I answer the door. Things happen when you least expect them to happen. I think of my gun like I do a fire extinguisher -- it is better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it.
Old May 11, 2005, 10:55 AM   #60
alpineman

I only make a point to answer the door armed if it's a stranger or at night. I live in rural KY, so I know most of the people who'd be coming to my door. Also, I work from home & sit at my desk looking down my half-mile driveway, so I see who's coming. Of course, my county has a really bad meth problem, so I'm usually carrying anyway (even in the house).
Old May 11, 2005, 08:53 PM   #61
Walter

I have one of the little miniature cameras over my front door.
If the doorbell rings, I click the tv remote to the camera.
I can see my entire front porch on the tv, so I will know who
is at my door. If I don't know them, I either answer the door
armed, or I don't answer the door.

My back door? If they knock on that one, they have climbed
the fence, because I keep both gates locked from the inside.
A knock on my back door would bring about an immediate
"condition red" full alert, with weapons being 'at-the-ready'.

Walter
Old May 12, 2005, 07:44 AM   #62
PythonGuy

Most of you must live in more rural areas then I do, I grew up in NYC and now live on Long Island. I am careful when opening and answering the door and try and convey that to my family, but I have never carried a gun in my house period. I also have two children, the youngest is 7, so I don't think its safe to carry in that situation, my guns are kept in a locked safe. If I lived in a less populated area and the kids were grown, I'd probably use a shotgun for home defense anyway, its much more reliable for that purpose. Interesting read though, I never thought so many armed people are out there, but then, I don't go messing around other peoples property unless invited.
Old May 12, 2005, 08:22 AM   #63
Rojoe67

Me......

My early warning systems are as follows: K9 whom thinks he is King Kong, motion detection lights and.....My hearing is real good. I am lucky enough to live in a lower crime area and have great neighbors that look out for me as I do for them. That said, I still find my day to day status in a low caution yellow mode. I have only armed myself a few times when answering the door. If I don't know who it is, I seldom would take the chance to open the door. If I do the dogs happy dental work is right beside me to show the visitor not to be frisky or he might leave his reproductive organs at the steps. I would sometimes go upstairs and open a window and talk down on the unknown visitor. It keeps them about 9-10' away from me and they have know idea that I have armed myself.... The K9 is one great weapon of deterence in my home.......Just love that Shep..... If I was living in a different area that was known for crime I would have a lot different tactics too...

Good luck and stay safe.....
Old May 12, 2005, 09:00 AM   #64
foghornl

Anytime the doorbell rings, the 1911-A1 is in my hip pocket.
Old May 12, 2005, 03:46 PM   #65
beenthere

Answering the door

A couple of the comments about a firing port in the door made me chuckle. Do you remember the scene in "Josie Wales" where g'ma was commenting on how religious her son was? "See all of the crosses cut in the doors and window shutters".

Wish the climate was more moderate here. It sounds like a great idea.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old May 12, 2005, 04:21 PM   #66
Vic303

Usually I just let the dogs answer the door. They haven't broken it down...yet! They drive off most door-hangers & sales types. I also have a can of Fox OC out of kidlet reach. At night, all contacts are armed & Surefired.