The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 17, 2002, 10:59 PM   #1
1S1K

Making the right trade.

I have the opportunity to trade my 1022 for either a marlin camp gun 9mm or a .30 carbine. I am looking to hunt coyotes and ground hogs at less than one hundred yards. Which would make the better trade.
Thanks,
Bill
Old November 17, 2002, 11:23 PM   #2
H&H,hunter

From a purely functional and cost stand point I'd go with the 9mm.

From a cool stand point the Carbine wins hands down.

Sorry to cloud the issue just get them both.
Old November 18, 2002, 12:12 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If you're gonna do more hunting than plinking, ammo's not much of a cost factor; I'd probably go with the GI Carbine. By the way, what manufacturer on the Carbine?

Art
Old November 18, 2002, 06:45 AM   #4
yankytrash

I'd be leary of the 30carb. There are lots of inaccurate ones out there. Make sure she's a WWII model in good condition, and ask how she shoots.

You know, with the 1022, you have a decent varminter for under 100yd already when fed decent high velocity ammo. Why change?
Old November 18, 2002, 10:42 AM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Looks like we need some more information.. If the carbine is GI, your about to get a screaming good deal. Minimum price around here is 500 bucks. Make the trade, check accuracy and sell it if you need to. The camp carbine (IIRC) can have a scope mounted on it , but has less power than the .30 carbine. Comparison - .30 carbine is 110 grains at 1900 FPS, 9mm is 124 at 1500 (ish). Plinking ammo is cheaper in 9mm, good hollow points run about the same price as soft points in .30.
Old November 18, 2002, 08:24 PM   #6
1S1K

Some of the space is as small as 50 ancres, so I do not want to use anything high powered. I am not sure of the year and make on the .30. It does have a factory scope. The Marlin has been drilled and tapped, but no scope. The man I am trading with has never fired either gun, so no comment on accuracy. I just want to stop coyotes in their tracks. I do not want to take a chance of a bullet traveling too far.

Thanks for your responses.

Bill
Old November 18, 2002, 09:26 PM   #7
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

1S1K,

Not trying to queer your deal or anything, but I dunno if either will "stop 'em in their tracks" - of any of the three mentioned.

Too, unless you're assured of a goodly backstop all the time, I'd suggest something a bit more high velocity, shooting much more frangible bullets. They (the high speed .22 centerfires) tend to break up quite rapidly & really do minimize any chances of downrange "oops!" Pistol caliber bullets just don't have the zing to break up reliably (fo rme anyway unless solid backstops). YMMV

Too, the centerfires'll most certainly drop 'em in their tracks with good placement/bullet.

May be a case where more is actually better.