The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 22, 2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Nathan

Diamondback DB9

Worth it at $199? I know they have a horrid rep, but surely some of them ran, right? Do they just need a fluff and buff?

At $199, what do you think?
Old June 22, 2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Shadi Khalil

In my opinion, a waste of $200 is a waste of $200. I never thought I'd say this but a more acceptable risk would be one of the Taurus PT111 going all over the place for the same price.
Old June 23, 2015, 11:12 AM   #3
Skans

I paid about $100 more for the one I have and I like it a lot.

No fluff and buff needed on mine. Actually, the feed ramp is fairly well polished. I can't speak for others who have had problems, but mine works well. If they were really that "junky", there would be tons of parts sets on Ebay and Gunbroker like Jennings/Lorcin/Bryco guns. Fact is, not one parts set available.

Last edited by Skans; June 23, 2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old June 24, 2015, 02:42 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

I haven't heard many problems about their firearms since their first generation 380.
Old June 24, 2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Husqvarn

Feeding issues, the Shells get hung up on the feed ramp and top of the chamber. Dremeling the Sharp edges seems too help.

Sometimes this works sometimes nada: Diamondback DB9 Repair
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0hWdF1UgK0

If not search www.youtube.com Problems with the Diamondback Pistols. Get a whole slew of infor and how too fix it.

As I see it no gun is Worth a $ is it doesn´t work just as all guns are equal if they do.
The advantage of a Budget Gun is you not so afraid to do a Little shop work on it to get it up and running where as on the high enders you got too have nerves of steel to go messing with an expensive gun.
Old June 25, 2015, 11:21 PM   #6
michael t

I have a PF-9 some where around 700 rounds and not one problem. I still remember how the VP of that company came on KelTec board running down KT's and singing praise of the Diamondback . He was found out and President of company came and said he was sorry and as I remember VP joined unemployment line .
Their rep is still spotty and I was told by dealer Taurus is taking care of the warranty work . True or not I don't know
Old June 26, 2015, 03:36 AM   #7
Ibmikey

Michael, I cannot imagine a company such as Taurus taking on the repairs of a competitor, i would like to see the source before believing they fix Diamondbacks.
Nathan, I bought one of the early pistols and liked it's diminutive size, it took several boxes of ammo to break in (no pistol released to the public should require the consumer to bear the burden of making it shoot correctly) but then ran reliably. I gave it to a friend who carries it today. If i did not have several pistols on UPS trucks today the price of the Diamondback 9 mm is quite attractive.
Old June 26, 2015, 06:44 AM   #8
Whirlwind06

TAURUS® HOLDINGS SECURES DIAMONDBACK FIREARMS

Quote:
(Miami, FL) – Taurus® Holdings, a worldwide leader in firearms manufacturing, announces the finalization of their exclusive global distribution agreement with Diamondback Firearms LLC. As part of the recent relationship, Taurus will assume all sales and marketing efforts of the Diamondback branded products from its Miami, Florida office.
http://www.taurususa.com/news-detail.cfm?newsID=50

Other sites are saying that Taurus is also the customer service contact now for DB guns.
Old June 26, 2015, 07:50 AM   #9
Skans

So, it finally happened - Taurus bought out Diamondback. I have a DB9 (works just fine), so this will be interesting. I don't know if this is positive or negative. I think I'll grab a bag of popcorn, sit back and enjoy this show.
Old June 26, 2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Ibmikey

Skans, Get a bag for me and i will bring the sodas
Old June 26, 2015, 09:55 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
“Having the opportunity to become partners with a fiscally secure company that has parallel philosophies in sound business practices, innovative design and manufacturing that complements our brand, is a winning proposition for all parties,” says Bobby Fleckinger, Diamondback Firearms owner.
Taurus is one brand I avoid. I would consider a used one from a source I knew if familiar with the gun, but not a new one. DB had a lot of potential. I really liked some of their desins, although I wanted to let the company mature before investing in one of their products. My guess is I won't ever own one now.
Old June 27, 2015, 08:36 AM   #12
Auto5

My brother's search for the smallest, lightest 9mm led him to the DB9. The inability to lock the slide open during training classes did not endear him to the instructors. He eventually gave it up due to reliability issues and went back to the Kel-Tec PF9.
Old June 29, 2015, 11:24 PM   #13
A pause for the COZ

I had watched a Utube report about Diamond Back not too long ago.
The owner took the interviewer though the factory.
Diamond Back is a company that actually makes Swamp boats. Pretty dang good ones too.

He admitted that from hindsight. That just because your a very good boat builder and have a great idea for a fire arm.
That does not mean you even have a remote clue how to mass produce quality guns.

He went on to show, since the Taurus investment. They have replaced the entire production staff and added all new dedicated machines ( Via Taurus) and upgraded their QC procedures.

So supposedly they are putting out a much better product now.
I dont know that for a fact. But at least they knew what was wrong and were willing to improve.

Will see I guess.

I am still intrigued by the DB9 and I may buy one. But man would it have to prove it self worthy before I would take the LCP 380 out of my pocket for store runs.

ahhh ha!! Found the Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXBjlJdtvg

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; June 29, 2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old July 1, 2015, 07:32 AM   #14
wild cat mccane

I sure hope they are better. I finally decided to give them a try. Ordered one in FDE. I used my credit card and I am not too shy to file a complaint through the CC
Old July 4, 2015, 09:23 AM   #15
wild cat mccane

Mine came in!

Unlike the Kahr CM/PM9s, this is a true pocket pistol. It feels and measures comparable to my P3AT/TCP.

Trigger is the same as a LCP/P3AT. Sights are great. The FDE...meh. Wish there was more tan in the color. I will likely change the grip color.

Very pocketable and feels robust. I will have to see if it holds up, the real question of the day.

My FDE DB9.

Proof, the CM9 is nowhere near a .380 in size: