The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 14, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Specialized

Mossberg 930 Barrel Issues?

So I have a Mossberg 930 SPX that I bought a few years back, and I took the breacher barrel off in favor of three new interchangeable barrels: the 18.5" defense, the 24" all-purpose, and the 24" cantilevered slug barrel. I just recently sold the breacher barrel to another 930 owner (this one a 930 waterfowl model, apparently), because he wanted to be able to configure the gun for home defense. For some reason, his gun will not cycle with the new barrel installed. I double-checked with him, and he says he put the piston in (dumb mistake that I've made myself), and I've seen pics of the parts -- they look just like mine. I also asked how it cycles, or attempts to -- the answer was that it doesn't even appear to move the bolt upon firing the gun. Now the ONLY way I can think of that this could happen would be if the gas holes were plugged (they're not, we did the flashlight test), or if the holes just don't move the piston somehow. Has anybody encountered this or a similar problem? I'm baffled, and the barrel is 160 miles away, so I can't tinker with it myself. Anybody have any ideas?