The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 19, 2012, 04:20 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Club steel shoots

I know there must be variation between clubs. I havent been able to talk to anyone at my club yet. On the way out I see they have a Steel club event on June 2nd. As a newb I think im ok, compared to anyone with more than a few months experience I am sure I suck. But I want to go through the exoperience and maybe even hit a steel or 2.
So from what I gather there are 5 stations using one clip each station, I shoot a 9mm 1911 with a 9rnd clip. Does the distance or angle vary from station to station? What kind of distance do I need to be able to shoot. I can consistantly hit a 2" circle at 10yds. Move up to a 5-6" circle at 25 yds. At 50 yds im on the paper, as long as its a news paper. I will only have 1 maybe 2 more days I can practice before June 2nd. And I have not shot from a holster. Any sugestions on a good holster for a full size 1911?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 19, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2
g.willikers

Most steel matches follow the Steel Challenge format and rules:
http://steelchallenge.com/

If so, each course of fire consists of five targets, run five times, so you need 25 rounds per stage.
Generally there are 5 stages (courses of fire).
Old May 19, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Don P

Ok, they are called stages not stations. If its a steel challenge there are 5 strings of fire per every stage. So at the least you will need 5 magazines, a fresh magazine for each string of fire. Each string will consist of 5 shots at 5 steel plates.( you want a fresh magazine every string in case you miss a plate and need to make up the shot) every missed plate will add 5 seconds to your time for the string
The plates will vary in size and distance from the shooter in every stage. Best 4 out of 5 times will be kept and the worst time gets tossed.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 19, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
BoogieMan

Whats the max distance they set the targets?
Holster recomendations?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 20, 2012, 05:58 AM   #5
Noreaster

I just did a match and the longest shot was 35 yards, but the target was large and not hard to hit. You will probably have five targets at each stage and you will shoot each stage five times, continuously from the box. Three magazines minimum but the more the better, (at least 25 rds per stage.) You will slow everyone down if you don't have enough mags and your constantly loading. Good time, just get out and do it.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Don P

Quote:
I know there must be variation between clubs.
Not the case, stages are all the same no matter where you shoot. Height, distance have to be the same everywhere for steel. As well as the rules are the same also.
Old June 1, 2012, 01:52 PM   #7
raceroch

reply to Don P

I have shot a few matches over the past couple seasons, and depending on the range and their ability to setup the targets to USPSA SCSA regs, you might see some variation in depth and width of the stages. i have even see plate racks count as a stage which i dont think is an official stage for SCSA.
Old June 1, 2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Don P

Quote:
I have shot a few matches over the past couple seasons, and depending on the range and their ability to setup the targets to USPSA SCSA regs, you might see some variation in depth and width of the stages. i have even see plate racks count as a stage which i dont think is an official stage for SCSA.
We try to set up as close as possible to regulations. We have a bay we set up outer limits and show down side by side. We also have to be right on because we get a lot of folks shooting steel at our range that also shoot Titusville for the Nationals. Most shooters that are at the Grand Master level will tell you if a stage is not right with regards to measurements just by looking at the stage
I understand setting up and being limited because of bay size but it does the shooters an injustice doing so, specially if they are planning on Titusville or a sanctioned match or state match
Old June 2, 2012, 04:23 PM   #9
BoogieMan

I shot the club match today. First of all it was more fun than I had imagined. Lots of ball busting and a good mix of shooters. I was able to take one stage.
the setup was great but not at all what I have seen in steel challenge.
Stage 1 was 3 round steels on a bench with a Texas star as a finisher. Second stage was 6 round steels on a bench. My times varied from poor to fair to poor again. Best time on the combo was 20.08 best time on the straight 6 was 5.90. Going to try an IDPA style next week. The next steel isnt for a month. That will give me some practice time. I think I can do pretty well with the 15yd distance and the small field of competition.
Once again, great guys and a whole lot of fun.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 3, 2012, 10:09 AM   #10
LSnSC

If its a sanctioned event there should be no variation. If its a club shoot, who knows? I saw two Steel Challenge shooters throw their suckers in the dirt and refuse to shoot because a local match wasnt set up to regs.
Old June 3, 2012, 11:30 AM   #11
BoogieMan

Quote:
If its a sanctioned event there should be no variation. If its a club shoot, who knows? I saw two Steel Challenge shooters throw their suckers in the dirt and refuse to shoot because a local match wasnt set up to regs.
Some people are poor sports. I paid $20 for a fun day. I stayed and help clean up when it was done, even though nobody asked. Maybe if I was in contention for a national tittle my outlook would be diferent. But I hope it never is.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 3, 2012, 12:09 PM   #12
Don P

Quote:
Some people are poor sports. I paid $20 for a fun day. I stayed and help clean up when it was done, even though nobody asked. Maybe if I was in contention for a national tittle my outlook would be diferent. But I hope it never is.
On occasion we'll set up a fun stage in steel in addition to the 6 stages for the match. Usually a plate rack, Texas Star, and a bunch of poppers, sometimes from sitting in a chair and shooting through a barrel. All for fun Win loose or draw everyone seems to have a good time and yes occasionally we have Mr. Professional that is all bent out of shape about something. Even had a few that choose not to shoot the fun stage, go figure. Its still slinging lead and on a fun stage you can really let it all hang out.
Old June 4, 2012, 05:33 PM   #13
LSnSC

If its not fun whats the point???
Old June 5, 2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Don P

Quote:
If its not fun whats the point???
Absolutely We call it a fun stage because of having nothing to do with any steel challenge stage.
The more competition you shoot you will see that some folks take time, score way, way, way too seriously. God forbid they are 2 tenths of a second slower than there last string and you think the world just ended. In my opinion that is taking all the fun out of the day and shooting. Couldn't care less about time, hits, misses. Number one goal each and every match is finish the match not being DQ'd
Old June 5, 2012, 01:48 PM   #15
BoogieMan

Glad to hear you have a light hearted approach to the sport DonP. No one at my club shoots for a living nor do I. The last thing I want to do is here someones prima donna attitude over how they are off by fractions of a second. Having said that my absolute favorite thing to do in any competition is beat those type of guys and then let them know its not a big deal. You can almost watch there blood pressure go up.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 5, 2012, 04:08 PM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

I shoot steel with my Buckmark. It's very relaxing. We shoot standard setups and then some fun ones. Last match we had a fun stage with about 14 popper targets. Just mowed them down, some were hard to get to fall with a 22 but we just count a hit if it doesn't fall.
Old June 6, 2012, 09:49 AM   #17
Don P

Quote:
I shoot steel with my Buckmark. It's very relaxing. We shoot standard setups and then some fun ones. Last match we had a fun stage with about 14 popper targets. Just mowed them down, some were hard to get to fall with a 22 but we just count a hit if it doesn't fall.
And that folks is what it is all about.