The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2012, 06:22 PM   #76
LSglock89

I just started reloading, the initial cost is high but I don't figure on saving any money. Only thing I figure on is being able to shoot more and fueling my expensive hobby.
Old March 28, 2012, 11:12 PM   #77
farmerboy

Break Even??? everytime I buy gun powder and bullets Im that far deeper than I was!
Old March 29, 2012, 04:48 AM   #78
darkgael

Saving

reading through this thread.....a lot depends on what we each understand as "save money".
I look at the number of rounds that I shoot and how much that cost me per round. I compare that to what the same amount of shooting would have cost if I'd used factory ammo. Using the aforementioned .45 ACP ammo as an example at $2-2.50 per 50 rounds fired, the difference is substantial. If I applied that savings to amortizing equipment....it would not take long to "save" enough to equal the money spent on hardware.
Of course, we don't do that.....we use the difference to buy more components or another doo-dad so that we can shoot more or reload faster.
I have long ago passed the point where the cost of the equipment is a factor in the cost of shooting; it has paid for itself many times over.
Pete
Old March 29, 2012, 03:10 PM   #79
hulley

I dont consider the Press/dies in the equation as those are tools and still have value. I actually have dies for calibers I dont even own yet! Sick I know.

When I go to the range (indoor) I chat with people and they end up giving me their brass so that was free. My brother has property and is always shooting .357/.44/30-06/30-30/.45acp/.40/5.7x28/.223 and he saves me his (and his friends) brass. So I literally have thousands of pieces of brass saved for many different calibers.

So when I load I take into consideration powder/primer/bullets and I'm saving money right off the bat. At least thats what I tell my wife.

I'm actually going today to buy more powder/primers/dies!
Old March 29, 2012, 10:38 PM   #80
farmerboy

Like most. After you reload for awhile. Me about 19 years now and if I want to look at it as in paying for itself the more I reload. Mines payed for itself 1000 times over.
Old March 30, 2012, 08:06 AM   #81
old roper

Reloading one of those hobbies that you have to spend money first to save money.
NRA Life Member
Old March 30, 2012, 10:42 AM   #82
pgdion

For 9mm, I kept it cheap, a Lee hand loader, a tumbler, and a digital scale (I already have the machinist tools such as calipers and such). I save maybe 3 to $4 a box so my break even point will be somewhere around 2000 rounds, a lot but very doable (that's 2000 reloaded rounds which for me is about 4000 rounds total). My break even point for .45acp will be half that but since I shoot 10x more 9mm, the .45 break even is way farther out. My son bought a Lee press set up he'll save $6 or more per box of 20rds reloading his 30-30. His break even point will probably be about 600 rounds. Although 600 rounds of 30-30 through a lever action Marlin is going to take him a while.

I reload mostly for the following reasons myself:
1) It's fun, I like doing it and it adds something to the gun hobby.
2) Better quality rounds (yes, it's actually true, I didn't believe it myself)
3) I can shoot more variety and rounds I can't buy like my favorite, the +P 124gr FP 9mm.
4) Independence, If another ammo shortage comes around, I'm covered.
5) Cost savings ... yea, I may see this some day. But if you get some parts as christmas or birthday gifts, then the cost saving comes sooner. I do like being able to whip up a box of good 9mm rounds for 6 bucks.
Old March 30, 2012, 10:46 AM   #83
carprivershooter

Money

Are you suppose to save money reloading. I thought you were suppose to reduce trips to the ammo store. I started reloading because I live in a rather isolated area. So I reload so I can shoot more. I have not done the math but if I can go out a shot 300-400 of 9MM,38 cal, 357 mag, 44cal and 45 acp rounds on a weekend, and a couple hundred rounds of 223 or M1 carbine. I am saving a bit of money. and as my wife said "he isn't hanging out in the bar if he is in the basement reloading".
Old March 30, 2012, 09:23 PM   #84
toolguy2006

I was given all my initial reloading equipment, so I broke even right away.

Seriously though, the more common the cartridge, the less you save. I like to reload for my .308, because precision is the game. I reload for my 10mm because it actually makes it financially possible to shoot on a regular basis ($8 vs $25 per box of fifty).

You have to have a real love of reloading, fancy equipment, or an ammunition shortage, to reload for 9mm, or other common military rounds.

In my case, I have found that I love reloading, so I reload for my 9mm.

Just my $.02
Old March 31, 2012, 01:24 AM   #85
Rangefinder

Quote:
You have to have a real love of reloading, fancy equipment, or an ammunition shortage, to reload for 9mm, or other common military rounds.
While I generally agree (because I DO love reloading), my .40S&W is running me $0.04 a pop with casting involved--and I dare anyone to find a box on any shelf of any surplus outlet, store, etc that will run you $2.00 for a box of 50. If they find them, I'll stand WAY back while they shoot them. On a side note, my HP casts outperform every commercial bullet I've out them up against. So, if one is willing to put the time in to develop it, it's a REAL win-win.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.