The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 25, 2011, 08:13 PM   #1
NHagar

New to Concealed Carry need help choosing a holster

Ok guys title sums it up. Just got my concealed carry license. The gun I will carry will either be my Kimber Custom TLE II 5" barrel or the Smith I just bought the 1911 E-Series with Crimson Trace Grips also 5" barrel. What are some good holsters and/or jackets that provide good concealment? I have shot pistols a lot but never used a holster. any help would be nice thanks
Old August 25, 2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Arizona Smithshooter

See my post here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460889
Old August 26, 2011, 02:11 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Uses choices styles for 5" barrel 1911a1 series .45acp pistols

Hi;
There are a few major factors when buying or picking a good 1911a1 type holster.
Budget/$$$, security/retention, clothing styles-garments-fashion, skill training, etc.
Major brands like Blade-tech, Galco, Safariland, Mitch Rosen, Bianchi-intl, Don Hume, Kramer Leather, Alessi, Ted Blocker, Milt Sparks, Blackhawk all have decent kit. The Safariland SFS or new ALS holsters have merit.
The polymer Blackhawk CQC or SERPA 1911a1 holsters are sold in different colors/sizes. Many gunners dislike the SERPA models but with training & skill they do very well.
Re-holstering one handed may be needed. A good holster that protects the sights is a desired feature also.
Please note that some popular custom shops like Milt Sparks or Greg Kramer or Mitch Rosen may require a long wait.

CF
Old August 27, 2011, 06:15 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Lots of good brands out there. Galco, Bianchi, Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen just to name a few. Holsters can be pretty subjective but any holster from a quality maker will service you well.

As far as concealment, you don't need a special jacket, any jacket and or untucked shirt can help with your concealment. Just remember that you will have to dress around your gun, especially with a 5" 1911. They are pretty easy to conceal, but you will still have to dress around it.

Additionally, more important than the holster is a good leather gun belt. They are not cheap, but they are built to support your gun and holster. A good gun belt is vital to your CCW rig.

Check out www.thebeltman.net for some good ideas.

As far as holster, my favorite is the Galco Fletch holster. http://www.usgalco.com/Marketing/Fletch.htm
Old August 27, 2011, 07:17 AM   #5
10-96

I don't see any need to add to the posts above- very good recommendations. I just want to add: Don't skimp on price or quality. A cheap holster may not give you a good picture of ease and comfort for carry. And if it isn't comfortable- you may not carry, or you may end up with negative views of your whole setup.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 27, 2011, 08:41 AM   #6
graysmoke

Uncle Mikes has a NEW Pancake design style side holsters.
Condura ballistic nylon with optional adjustable over the top strap.

Worn on a belt - I like the Pancake design for concealment carry.(snug to the body).

If you don't wanna spend a ton of cash, and still have a quality made holster check it out......for type of gun and size fit go to unclemikes.com and then check gunbroker.com
Old August 27, 2011, 09:50 PM   #7
shooter_john

Considered a Trotac? Concealable, good retention, comfy... Review below.

http://mytumultuousadventure.blogspo...rd-review.html
Old August 27, 2011, 11:41 PM   #8
moyers

Different companies make inside the pants holsters which are good for wearing just a t-shirt. I have a belt slide holster made by Bianchi that hugs my waist and is perfect for carry when you are wearing a button up or something similar over it and they come in thumb break and non-thumb break. They come in strong side, weak side and small of back carry positions. I have shoulder holsters, thigh holsters, hip holsters, Blackhawk Serpas and the inside the pants holster. For conceal-ability and comfort the belt slide by Bianchi is definitely the best one that I have for hotter weather where as for cold weather i wear the shoulder holster, belt slide, or the Blackhawk holsters. Winter time you can do a lot for comfort and conceal-ability. Inside the pants holsters have the retention of your body, the Serpas come in no retention and trigger finger button release. The others are thumb break. First choose something for conceal-ability, then choose the kind of retention you prefer, and lastly for whatever weather conditions there are around you.
Old August 28, 2011, 12:51 AM   #9
ClydeFrog

A systematic approach...

There are a few good messages to read & understand here for a new or entry level gun owner.
Smart pistol packers & "quiet professionals" use a system; holster, belt, mag holder(s) that all work to support or function together in a critical event.
A $900.00 custom 1911a1 and a $8.00 belt or a $10.00 gun shop barrel holster is a non-starter.

Trust me!
Old August 28, 2011, 10:34 AM   #10
308Gunner

+1 on Clyde Frog's post; the belt can be just as important as the holster you're picking out. A $10 Wally-World belt probably isn't going to cut it

As far as a 'concealment jacket' goes, anything past waist-length should do. I personally prefer just a plain button-up shirt untucked with an in-waistband holster. Not expensive (attire or holster), easy to find, and works year-round. Some people like to use Hawaiian shirts because they're looser, but I find any shirt long enough will do. You don't want to start buying stuff that 'brands' you as a CCW holder. Some on-lookers automatically assume anyone wearing 'tactical' clothes is carrying a weapon; or anyone in one of those long photographer's vests .

You may need to adjust your wardrobe slightly for your day-to-day attire. Getting to be comfortable with a CCW may take some time and money at first until you find what works for you. Some folks can carry a full-size 5" 1911 OWB in the middle of summer in a T-shirt and shorts, and others still feel conspicuous carrying a sub-compact Glock under 3 layers of clothing.

— George Mason
Old August 28, 2011, 11:18 AM   #11
irish52084

As covered already, get a good belt. A good belt helps, especially with full size pistols. Carry at least 1 spare mag, 2 is better. You're already carrying the pistol, an extra mag or 2 is easy to carry.

My favorite concealed holster is the comp-tac minotaur. It's like a super tuck, but in my opinion better. I've had both and they are both good, but I like the minotaur a little better. Here's a link: http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Their customer service is awesome as well, very good people to deal with.
Old August 29, 2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Qtiphky

Cross Breed Super Tuck Deluxe

All of the comments are fantastic and right on the money. The only thing that I could add would be to research a Cross Breed Super Tuck Deluxe. I am not a big guy and was limited to carrying a small Walther PPK/s concealed due to this fact. Not that I ever felt undergunned where I live and carry, but I always wanted the ability to carry more rounds of a little higher power.

I just got this holster two weeks ago for my new Beretta 92FS compact and absolutley love it. It holds the gun nice and tight and with the fact that it displaces the weight over a larger area, I don't even notice that I am carrying it. As stated, buy an actual "gun belt" instead of going to the local store and looking for a heavy leather belt. I have those and after wearing a true gun belt, which by the way is dressy enough for work, I won't go back to regular belts. I don't carry extra mags though as I figure if I can't get myself out of a situation with 15 shots, 30 probably won't help or I'll be pushing daisy's.
Old September 6, 2011, 12:42 AM   #13
scsov509

Almost all I carry anymore are 1911's in one configuration or another. And, while it can be a lot of gun to carry for sure, the right gear makes all the difference. IMO, the MOST important part of the carry rig is the belt. I know others have said it as well, but the value of a quality belt in concealed is something that simply cannot be overstated. I carried over 10 years before I finally spent the money on a quality belt, and wish now I had purchased the belt first instead of wasting an exorbient amount of money on holsters that I now realize work wonderfully with a good belt. So my personal recommendation to every new carrier now is buy a belt first. If yo don't want t spend tons and don't require leather for daily attire, the Wildness Instructor Belt in the 5-stitch model is an exceptional quality gun belt for less than $50.

Quote:
I don't carry extra mags though as I figure if I can't get myself out of a situation with 15 shots, 30 probably won't help or I'll be pushing daisy's.
Not quite the same when your carrying an 8 shot 1911. Regardless, IMO at least one spare magazine is mandatory carry with any autoloader in the event that you need to clear malfunctions, especially the dreaded double-feed which is exceptionally difficult to clear quickly without a spare magazine. But to each his own...
Old September 6, 2011, 01:39 PM   #14
Single Six

I'm the guy who always champions the underdog when it comes to guns and gear. Just because something's not trendy, that doesn't automatically mean it shouldn't be looked into. Seems everyone loves Glocks and Sigs, while I use, and have great success with, Rugers. For carry gear, the majority of folks appear to prefer Galco, Mitch Rosen, etc. Me, I've found Fist holsters to be top-notch and easy on the budget. Check 'em out at www.fist-inc.com.
Old September 6, 2011, 04:28 PM   #15
engineermike

There is also a company called "Kangaroo Carry" (Spelling may not be correct) that you may want to look at. I have not bought one of these but I am still considering. However, I do own a Galco Miami Classic (Shoulder holster) and would recommend one but it may not be what you are looking for.

I found a link: http://www.kangaroocarry.com/
If you don't buy the holster at least the girls are easy on the eyes...

Mike
Old September 6, 2011, 05:20 PM   #16
loose_holster_dan

i can't remember who makes it, but my dad carries his on his ankle. it's a very well supported and padded holster. i'll see if i can find out who makes it and pass on the information. i can't count how many times i've seen him reach down while i'm visiting him on a sunday afternoon watching football, when he reaches down and takes it off to sit it on the table, and i had been with him all morning and not even noticed.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 9, 2011, 07:46 AM   #17
Vortexyz

+1 for the Crossbreed Supertuck
I got one for my 5" 1911 and I carry it everyday with absolutely no problems.
It is extremely comfortable and I can conceal a full size .45 in shorts and a t-shirt.
Old September 19, 2011, 01:15 PM   #18
jakeLC

i like the wilson combat leather holsters there very comfortable and practical
Old September 20, 2011, 09:40 AM   #19
Fusion

Comp Tac, or Crossbreed would be the best choices imo. They are both great, so I'd pick which one you like the look of best. The nice thing about the Comp Tac is if you have several guns you carry, you can just replace the kydex bodies instead of having to replace the whole holster, but if you are only carrying one gun that's not an issue.
Old September 25, 2011, 10:14 AM   #20
dgludwig

The Galco KingTuk is very similar to the Crossbreed SuperTuck but, at least where I live, is cheaper (I paid a little over fifty bucks for one at Cabelas) and far more likely to be found on a store shelf.
Old September 27, 2011, 02:17 PM   #21
ftttu

New to Concealed Carry need help choosing a holster

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/holsters,16.htm

The above link has my next work and taking it easy holsters. I know a few guys/gals with their work holsters and they absolutely love them. Retention is great and the draw is fast. Take a look.

P.S. I currently use a Fobus OTW pancake and really like it. It is just that the retention really isn't there though.
Old September 29, 2011, 10:02 AM   #22
raisitup

+1 for CompTac, got a Minotaur Spartan IWB from them for my G27 and haven't looked back.

Ryan
Old October 1, 2011, 04:54 PM   #23
MagnumWill

I just got my CrossBreed SuperTuck deluxe in the mail for use with my New Agent (Colt 1911, short Officer's frame and a 3" barrel, trench sights) and it disappears almost completely. With a t-shirt, button-up shirt and some slightly baggy pants, it looks like I'm not carrying at all. Even with tighter jeans, it's still very concealed (plus, you're looking for it). That New Agent may be a small 1911, but it's still kind of heavy in carry land- the SuperTuck makes it very easy to carry. And yes, a good strong belt is mandatory.
Old October 1, 2011, 10:22 PM   #24
rookie5.56

This I can tell you, youll go through many holsters before you find one you like. I bought expensive bianchis and wound up carrying desantis nylon or don humes 20 to 35 dollar holsters. best advise borrow a few holster rigs from friends and wear them around a day a peice deside on how your gonna carry. then go from there!