The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2011, 08:26 PM   #1
yggorf

.257 AI dies

I need to buy some Redding dies (my favorite) for my new .257AI bolt gun. This is my first reloading experiment for a bolt gun (shot gas guns up until now) and also my first experiment with AI chambering.

I understand that I get .257 brass, shot it in the AI chambered rifle, and it is magically transformed into .257 AI brass from then on. My questions are:

1. Should I need a full length resizing die? Once the brass has expanded in this rifle's chamber, can't I just neck size form then on?
2. If I need to full length resize, I assume I should use a .257AI resizing die (not a .257 resizing die).
3. I like to use the Series S resizers with the neck bushing. What size neck bushings will I need for this?
Old February 8, 2011, 08:58 PM   #2
t45

I neck size my 243AI only. As far as bushing size goes, it depends on your chamber size. Mine is a tight neck.
Old February 9, 2011, 02:06 AM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello, yggorf. Yes you can get away with neck-sizing..up to a point..brass tends to work harden & won't spring back as it did when new. Your bolt will tend to become harder to close. You might want to invest in a bump die..this pushes the shoulder back to original position, but doesn't reduce case body size like a F.L. sizer would. I like the Redding bushing dies myself, lets you tailor neck tension. Best of luck with your Ackley. That reminds me...I have a custom rifle in .22 Ackley Bee..I have to get busy & buy dies for that myself!

P.S.
I re-read your post & saw where you asked about bushing size? Seat a bullet in case neck, & using micrometer measure neck dia. I like to go .002 to .003 under this dimension..usually I buy the two bushings..as brass work hardens, you can go to smaller size.