The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 9, 2008, 01:44 AM   #1
pfch1977

Tactics and pistol selection for the one arm man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTVBYlHSIRY

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KTVBYlHSIRY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KTVBYlHsIRY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This youtube video demonstrates how a SEAL team member deals with a malfunction of their MP5 and uses one handle to handle their P226. When there MP5 jams during an entry event, they simply secure the MP5 with one hand and handle their P226 with the other.

This illustrates how the unpopular 9mm round can come in handy because of it's ease of use when you "one arm" your pistol.

The FBI HRT has chosen the 1911 and to this I must question. I am a fan of the 1911 do not get me wrong...however I dont believe its so easy to one-arm your 1911. It does take a strong-hand to handle this pistol.

On the other hand, why did the SEAL team choose the P226 with its heavy pull on the first shot? You can see how the SEAL team member is having trouble cooking off the first shot of his P226 and you have to think if accuracy might be a problem on that first round.

When your MP5 malfunctions, a second or too is all it takes for the bad guy to gain the edge. I can see where valuable milliseconds can be wasted with the 1911 or the P226. The FBI had it right with the Browning Hi-Power and it's single action. A one-arm man can easily handle the Browning. I think many of the FBI team members were just trying to get a pistol that they can take to competition versus one that was useful for entry.

I have noticed that Iraq security contractors favor either one of two pistols, the Browning Hi-Power or the Glock 9mm. Both are easy to one-arm and draw. Ultimately, if one of their arms is taken out or their main-weapon system fails, they have to fall back quickly on their side-arm usually with one arm. These contractors have a choice of weapons and can arm themselves with whatever they want versus the government employees who have but one selection.

Lets not talk about the .40 or the 357 sig because those are like cannons and impossible to one-arm it. The .40 has so much blast and kick. Dirty harry can one-arm it with his cannon, but I cant with my own.

Government administrators need to re-think a bit and take it from those who know. Its nice to arm the team with hand cannons, but we are not simply going to throw the MP5s at the bad guys then draw the iron on our man with both hands.
Old March 9, 2008, 01:50 AM   #2
ActivShootr

Old March 9, 2008, 05:09 AM   #3
MLeake

It's not hard to one hand a 1911

or a P220, or a USP. The recoil spring isn't all that much stiffer than on a 9mm.

However, the issue with one handed racking of a slide is that most people don't practice it; if they do practice, they should probably not do so with live ammo, since the usual muzzle control safety practices are hard to observe when hooking rear sight on belt, boot, etc.

I don't know ANY SF guy who lacks the muscle required to cycle a slide against a .45 recoil spring with one hand.
Old March 9, 2008, 09:50 AM   #4
EastSideRich

Quote:
+1

Why do they need to use one arm; doesn't their main weapon have a sling?
Also isn't the MP5 a 9mm also?
I would think capacity, ability to fire accurate shots quickly, and the convenience of only needing one type of ammunition would be better reasons for carrying a 9mm sidearm than the ability to use it one-armed.

Also, I've seen that clip on tv. I can't remember what show it was on, but one of my favorite quotes is from that guy (illustrates the importance of shot placement over caliber):
Quote:
"Being a 9mm, some people might say 'Well it's only a 9mm, it wont do anything'; but, when I put two rounds through your heart and one through your head, you wont know the difference".
Old March 10, 2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Shorts

I have one arm. Anyone can be proficient using any gun..for that matter, anyone can become proficient in a skill if they practice that specific manipulation. It's called specificity. All it takes is time and practice.