The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 18, 2006, 02:41 PM   #1
littlmak

Rifle value

I know you can't be exact but your best guess will be good enough for me. An upcoming local auction has a "Smith Corona 03-A3 in A-1 condition". (auction's only description) Since they don't take plastic, just how much cash do you think I'll need to bring this rifle home with me? And where are the serial #'s located so I don't end up with a parts gun at a collector price?
Old August 18, 2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Jim Watson

CMP has been selling well used 03s and A3s for $450, auction fever is likely to run the price a good deal higher.

Americans don't apply multiple serial numbers to service rifles.
The barrel on an 03-A3 is dated and coded for maker, so you can judge originality by comparing it with the s.n. range and known suppliers.

To judge originality otherwise you have to know what style parts were in use at the time and place.

There are a lot of rifles out there that are legitimate arsenal refurbs with new barrels, stocks, or hardware, there are some number of parts guns, and at least a few re-mils as surplus rifles got to be worth more than a Bubba sporterizing job.

My Brophy book is loaned out and I cannot give you particulars.
Old August 21, 2006, 06:07 AM   #3
littlmak

Well, It's a bit unusual but nobody seems to disagree with your opinion so I'll go with $500. All I can hope for is a straight shooter and not an expensive wall hanger. Thank you