The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2005, 11:13 PM   #1
woodland

Powder particles in neck ok when seating bullets?

I noticed after charging the cases, there were some powrder grains clinging to the inside of the neck. I took a toothpick and ran it around to brush them off, cause I wasn't sure if they would cause any problems when inserting the bullet.
Just loaded up a bunch of different combinations of bullet styles and powders today, and will be trying them out over the next few days. Can't wait!

By the way, I am loading .223 for my H-BAR Elite. I measured all the charges, and weighed and sorted all bullets. I want to find the best combo, then I will start experimenting with how much difference slight variences in bullet weight, ( i.e. unsorted ), will make. This should be lots of fun!

Here is what I am running:
60gr. V-Max over 23.2gr of 748

60gr. V-Max over 24gr. of 748

69gr. Sierra BTHP-Match over 27gr. of 760

69gr. Sierra BTHP-Match over 21.5gr. of BL-C(2)

52gr. Speer HP over 24gr. 3031
Old February 10, 2005, 11:35 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

I wouldn't worry about any powder grains clinging to a case neck. The bullet will push them down into the case for you. Of all the millions upon millions of rounds loaded each year, I have never heard of a round going off by powder being trapped between the bullet and the case neck - if that is what you're concerned about.
Old February 11, 2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Tom Matiska

Quote:
........I have never heard of a round going off by powder being trapped between the bullet and the case neck -
I know of one suspected case in the late 70's(still makes it pretty rare). A friend was ramming 243 boat tails down on a compressed charge. flash/bang... eyebrows were gone and the ratio of forehead to hair was increased. No frag wounds.

Can't imagine any other cause than powder trapped between the boatail and case neck.
Old February 11, 2005, 08:58 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

"Can't imagine any other cause than powder trapped between the boatail and case neck."

I can. It might be that one in a billion chance of a compressed column of tubular granules lining up just right through the flash hole so that the primer anvil can compress and ignite the primer compound. If he is "ramming" a little too vigorously - it just might happen.
Old February 11, 2005, 11:35 AM   #5
woodland

Thanks guys, I didn't think it should be a problem, but wanted to lean twoard the side of caution till I knew. Like I said, I am very new to reloading, and I am quite attached to my fingers and whatnot.
Old February 11, 2005, 12:26 PM   #6
Oldphart

Powder Particles in Neck

There is one other thing to think about with regard to this: What makes the powder stick to the inside of the case neck? If it's excess lube, it might also cause uneven burning of the powder. I've gone to a routine of depriming/sizing first, then tumbling to remove any excess lube, then priming, charging and seating. I don't really know if that's a better system or not, but it's certainly better than worrying about the possibility of contaminating the powder.