The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2013, 01:36 PM   #26
schmellba99

Speaking of chrono's, what are good brands to look at?

Midway has a couple on sale right now, but being ignorant of the world of chronographs, I have no clue what is better than the other, and can only base my selection choice on reviews on the website.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852...al-chronograph

This is the one that I'm thinking about getting - seems to have all the bells and whistles that I'd need, but not sure if it's good even at the sale price.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:17 PM   #27
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
bamaranger

Oehler 33 was a great chronograph, I still have a couple laying around along with several boxes of screens.
Working at Rock Island
Back in the 50s we would shoot Against a calibrated steel disc that would rock in a pendulum. It would have a swing arm that would rock with the plate. The swing arm would stay in the maximum deflected Arc when hit by the bullet.
With this deflection and knowing the weight of the bullet we could calculate the velocity and energy of the bullet.

With the 270 which by the way, was my first rifle for the Christmas of 1947!
I Would get 2800-2900 out of the 130s. Back then I used a lot of 4895 sold in paper bags. I was looking at my old loads and found my most accurate with highest velocity out of IMR 4064 @ 49.5 Grains. So I just stayed with it. We did not have a lot of powders available, or books on the subject. With the new powders now days who knows!

ED

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"
Old January 2, 2013, 03:24 PM   #28
hooligan1

I'm kind of on the fence, about chrono's, I think I need one but I already am married so another device to point out my shortcomings doesn't really jump out as a must purchase.
I'm getting both accuracy and decent case life, with not overwhelming recoil, what I believe I need most is a 200-500 yd range to shoot at.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:20 PM   #29
Edward429451

Aw, don't feel bad. I've shot two Chronys. Aim higher!

Did you get any numbers from the Airsoft? I chronyed a freon powered bb pistol on mine before (looong time ago) and they were ~ 200 fps and consistent readings.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:27 PM   #30
reynolds357

I shot one with a bow.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:14 AM   #31
Colorado Redneck

Distance from muzzle to chrony

I agree with the statement that distance to chrony is important. I like 12-15 feet. That way there is less liklihood of little chunks of material throwing off your readings.

That said, I look through my notebook every now and then to review the various loads I have chronied, and it is funny how many times there is a nasty swear word printed next to the velocities column because of bogus readings. Sometimes for no reason whatever the screen will flash error. Other times it will show exactly the same velocity for 3 rounds in a row. That seems highly unlikely to me.

Chronies are just another tool, and darn sure not the end all-do all of hand loading. Good accuracy and experience with a load like the OP has used is the most important thing.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:53 AM   #32
old roper

I got my 35p to check loads for a wildcat and they offer Oehler Ballistic Explorer for it @ $70. that was 1988 price then I got what was called Ballistic Calculation Program 1991. Good about that was could plug in Elevation/Temp plus everything that was known for the load and get print out to 1000yd.

I like mine works good for me.
NRA Life Member
Old January 3, 2013, 12:30 PM   #33
Gbro

Has anyone placed a number of chrono's SxS and compared the results?
Hooligan1, that was a LMAO comment!
And I loved edward's5759's story,
Could this be considered, Annie-Logg?
Quote:
Back in the 50s we would shoot Against a calibrated steel disc that would rock in a pendulum. It would have a swing arm that would rock with the plate. The swing arm would stay in the maximum deflected Arc when hit by the bullet.
With this deflection and knowing the weight of the bullet we could calculate the velocity and energy of the bullet.
However, you are indicating that you could be getting old!
Thanks for such informative input, Sir!
Old January 3, 2013, 12:41 PM   #34
jimbob86

Quote:
Aw, don't feel bad. I've shot two Chronys. Aim higher!
Twice as many as I have.

As you have 2X the experience I have ...... what caliber for Chrony?

A Berry's 230gr plated RN @ 850 did not give complete penetration......
Old January 3, 2013, 04:55 PM   #35
Ronbert

Friend and I placed our cronos in series as close as we could get them and put 10 rounds of his .40 handloads thru them. That meant the same bullet went thru 2 cronos.

His crono was first, mine second. Mine read 9fps lower than his. Which we figured is pretty much good enough.

Didn't do the experiment of reversing them because we were just seeing that they were pretty close to each other in readings.

(not sure what models they are - not even too sure what mine is without looking)
Old January 3, 2013, 06:02 PM   #36
hounddawg

I use my chorny for is to make sure my loads and technique is consistent, if all it gave was the standard deviation of my strings I would be happy.

I do recommend a crony that has a remote or a remote capability if you will be shooting at a range where there are multiple shooters. I use a CE Prochrono with the optional interface cable that hooks it into a laptop.Lets you control the chrony, puts all the info on screen where you can see it plus lets you save it to a test file if you want.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:23 PM   #37
Edward429451

Quote:
As you have 2X the experience I have ...... what caliber for Chrony?

A Berry's 230gr plated RN @ 850 did not give complete penetration......
1st one, 45acp 140 gr Glaser Safety Slug @ 1350 from a G21. It penetrated the brain and bent the middle divider WAY over but did not penetrate. I recovered most of the shot, tip, and jacket from inside the Chrony.

2nd one, a 22lr Stinger @ ~1000 fps from a FA Mini-Revo 1-18" bbl. Penetrated the brain and dented the divider. Bullet unrecovered.

Doh!
Old January 4, 2013, 12:33 AM   #38
RC20

Quote:
It's a good idea to verify the chrony by using some 22LR Match ammo. It tends to be very close to published velocities.
Its nice to have that as a verifier.

So far my 9mm loads have consistently been below factory Golden Saber.

Not sure what magic they use but no overpressure and velocity very close to what Remington says it is.

It does seem like most loads are lower than the books say they should be in the 223, 270 and 30-06 loads
Old January 4, 2013, 01:44 AM   #39
bamaranger

replies

Wow, lots of replies on what I thought was a sort of lame post, thanks guys.

Some answers to questions posed. No, we did not get reads on the airsoft BB's, the literature (yes I DID read it) says the unit does not "see" so well indoors w/o a kit. We were goofing around, Christmas Day and all, and gave it a whirl. I believe outdoors, in the correct light, it will read an airsoft BB.

The lit says 15' (?) from muzzle and we measured same ( or at least the correct distance, it may have been 12). Several .270/110's went 2850 +/_.
The object of the .270/110 was to get a 3000 fps and a laser flat trajectory out to 300 yds for our smallish Dixie deer. I had heard enough about 130's and 22" tubes to believe that 3000 fps would be pushing it. But it seems I have lots of margin to push the 110 harder. I have seen enough good press and reports on the 110's on deer to believe it will do fine. That could be a whole new post.

In the same rifle, my load with 130's was 53.5 IMR4350. Less powder and a heavier slug, again from a buddy's Sierra manual. After seeing the results of the 110's, that 130 load must really be loafing along. No wonder it did not seem to expand like it should. Accurate though. I will screen some Super-X 130 Silvertips and see how they do, have enough on hand to finish season.

The pal I was shooting with said "Test it w/ some .22's, first", and we did. The readings were good and we proceeded.

I watched another bud drill his Chrony....twice, before I could do anything to stop him. Anybody asks, a .40 FMJ controlled pair, will take out a Chrony every time!

I am looking forward to screening my bows, .22v.22 mag, and a host of other projects, AFTER deer season.