The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 14, 2010, 08:30 AM   #1
gregjc9

IDPA shooters, drop slide on empty chamber?

I started shooting IDPA last year, and love it. I have a knock-off match at a local range tonight, so last night I was practicing, and realized I had been dropping the slide on my XDm on an empty chamber when showing empty to the RO at the end of a stage. I've read all the pros and cons about doing this, and I try not to whenever I'm at the range practicing. But when finishing a stage and showing the RO the firearm is clear before holstering, I realized I had been doing just that. I will start easing the slide closed with my off hand. Just wondered how many others do it at a match, but not when regularly practicing?

Greg
Old April 14, 2010, 11:38 AM   #2
RickB

I never intentionally allow the slide to slam shut on any gun I own. Some people do, and if it doesn't bother them, it doesn't bother me. That's not true, I cringe every time.
Old April 14, 2010, 02:51 PM   #3
TINCUP AL

I do not let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber for any of my guns.
Old April 14, 2010, 07:35 PM   #4
gregjc9

That's kind of what I had figured. I never do any other time, I guess I was getting caught up in all of it. I had a match tonight, and I made sure I didnt let my slide slam close.

Greg
Old April 15, 2010, 07:58 PM   #5
rsxr22

you will get tons of people with different opinions. I know the side of people that say it is bad for the gun and the others who says it doesnt matter. I know i have dropped the slide on empty chamber thousands upon thousands of times with pretty much all of my guns and have NEVER had an issue. However, i feel that its like most things, when done in moderation it will not effect, so i am trying to switch over, but when shooting competitions the man giving the instructions is boss and if he says something about riding the slide forward and you dont listen, you will be asked to leave or not attend again. I have found most competition shooters to be very helpful and friendly, but most places ive shot do not give more than one chance on unsafe gun handling or disobeying range officer commands
Old April 28, 2010, 08:33 PM   #6
DT Guy

Tuned 1911 or BHP, CZ SA or the like-never, not ever.

Glock or XD-all day long.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old April 28, 2010, 11:46 PM   #7
ProCarryNAustin

+1 on what DT Guy said.
Old April 30, 2010, 08:10 AM   #8
johns7022

IDPA: It goes without saying there is always some nervous gun guy at a match with an opinion, but you have to do what he says...it's one reason some peeps don't compete..

Never heard of showing an empty chamber, usualy just holstering is considered safe.....
Old April 30, 2010, 09:39 AM   #9
jmorris

Quote:
IDPA: It goes without saying there is always some nervous gun guy at a match with an opinion, but you have to do what he says...it's one reason some peeps don't compete..

Never heard of showing an empty chamber, usualy just holstering is considered safe.....

It is not just IDPA that has set up the triple redundant system other gun games use the same procedure, IDPA didn‘t invent it they just copied a good system. The shooter unloads and looks into the chamber to make sure it’s unloaded, then the RO looks into the chamber to make sure it’s unloaded, then the shooter lowers the slide and dry fires into the berm just incase they both missed it. If 100% safety isn’t your game, neither are any of the gun games.

FWIW ranges are almost always "cold" so a loaded pistol is a no no unless you are the shooter.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:36 AM   #10
spankaveli

johns7022, if you ever go to a USPSA match (and I think IDPA is the same), after you finish the course of fire you are required to show the RO (and yourself, more importantly) you have an empty chamber and then dryfire the weapon before you reholster.

ETA: FWIW, I've never had any qualms dropping the slide on an empty chamber on any of my handguns.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:42 AM   #11
alienbogey

I've shot a fair amount of steel matches and don't believe I've ever seen anyone do anything but drop the slide without riding it. Some of the people shooting are national level competitors. I've never heard anyone say that it's bad for the gun, either.

Old May 4, 2010, 11:26 PM   #12
Gryff

I ride the slide forward. I see no reason to subject the gun to more stress when it doesn't serve any purpose.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:41 PM   #13
orionengnr

I have only shot one match (last Saturday, and it won't be my last ).

I was asked to "show clear" at the end of each stage. However, unless I had shot to slide-lock during the stage, all I did was a) drop the mag, b) pull open the slide to eject the chambered round and c) hold the slide open to show the RO. Then I rode the slide closed. At which point I was told to drop the hammer (by squeezing the trigger).

If shot to slide lock, I dropped the mag, showed the RO the empty chamber, and rode the slide closed. They had no problem with that.

I shoot a 1911, FWIW.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Steviewonder1

IDPA Shooters drop slide on empty chamber??

I have been doing this in IPSC for the last 21 years and IDPA for the last 3 years. Guns, Para 16-40 (1911 wide body in .40S&W), Glock 21, Springfield Armory 1911 45ACP. No issues and all still shoot just fine. Lots of matches plus practice at my Home ranges doing the same. For me this is an "Old Wives Tale" along with shooting lead in Glock guns......YMMV.
Old June 2, 2010, 04:27 AM   #15
dukeofurl

I've heard the story about never slamming the slide on tuned 1911's but my Rock River has been just fine after all I've fed it and all I've beat on it at the range.

I'll let it slam forward personally but I will not deride those who use a gentler approach.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:12 AM   #16
Don P

Quote:
It is evident from your above statement that YOU have not/ do not shoot IDPA.
The rule book, page 11 C 18. Range Commands states the following,
H. Unload and Show Clear.
I. Slide Down or Cylinder Closed.
J. Hammer Down.
K. Holster
Then and ONLY then is the RANGE SAFE. PERIOD
I have omitted the range commands A-G as they do not pertain to the discussion at hand
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 28, 2010, 03:08 PM   #17
lawboy

Non-issue

To me it is a non-issue whether it hurts the gun or not. Firing the gun hurts the gun! That is why after a while they get loose and need rebuilding. If dropping on an empty chamber damages something I will just replace it as a normal maintenance/wear issue. That is why you inspect your guns, rotate through a stock of competition and carry guns so when one is being fixed another can be used. They are tools, they wear, they are fixable and replaceable and it only takes money, which I have. Non-issue.
Old June 30, 2010, 11:45 PM   #18
Lead Junkie

I say let it slam! Ya gotta love the sound it makes.
Old July 1, 2010, 12:09 AM   #19
Wildalaska

I view it like flipping your cylinder closed with a wrist flip, its the mark of someone who watches too much TV.

Some folks like to pop the clutch too. Guess its all about cool.

WildbutheyyourgunyourfunAlaska TM
Old July 1, 2010, 12:22 AM   #20
noyes

Quote:
dropping the slide on an empty chamber
bad ,bad , bad ....................BAD
Old July 1, 2010, 12:44 AM   #21
Retired15T

I rarely just let the slide go on an empty chamber. I just don't like the sound it makes personally.

But years and years of using Army Beretta M9's have shown me that it probably doesn't matter in that weapon at least. Every time you go to the range, people are letting the slide go forward to an empty chamber all the time. And those of us who believe this causes stress that can be avoided, we all cringe when people do it.

When I get in my car, I COULD slam my door every time. I doubt it would do much harm to the door for some time. But after a while, the window WILL break and then, the handle will break. While cars and handguns are very different animals, I still don't slam my car doors or my gun slides. Just something about the sound makes my ears hurt.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson
Old July 1, 2010, 12:51 AM   #22
RGR3/75

if all it takes is dropping the slide on an empty chamber to ruin your gun, then you need to buy a different gun. i don't see why anyone would ever be worried about this. probably the same guys that IG their guns every time they go to the range.
Old July 1, 2010, 03:07 PM   #23
Jay1958

I don't make a habit of dropping the slide on an empty chamber, however when I am competing and the SO says "... show me clear ... SLIDE ... trigger ..." I do just let it slam forward on "SLIDE".

So if doing it only in those cases causes any harm, I'm hosed. So far, never any issues. I'm about four years and 10,000 rounds in, so far - on this one pistol.
Old July 2, 2010, 12:44 AM   #24
noyes

post 21 & 25 has some pictures , it's not a hand gun .....but without the shell as a buffer ....you'll get the ideal

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ighlight=50bmg
Old July 2, 2010, 07:57 AM   #25
fineredmist

I looked at photos 19 & 21 and from the looks of the damage I would say the it was caused by misaligned live rounds striking the edge of the chamber opening. The bolt face and the breech face are mated machined surfaces and unless there were something foreign on the face of the bolt or the breech this damage is not possible. The sharp, hard nose of a .50 BMG will act as a perfect punch if it is slightly out of alignment with the bore of the weapon. I think this is referred to as a "jam" or "misfeed".