The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2009, 05:39 PM   #26
TN Hillbilly

Update

Talked to my BIL and he said he talked to Federal. After arguing with them about the rifle being the wrong chamber size and the custom shop did not know what they were doing they changed their minds. So Federal said to send all of your XM193 Federal ammo to us and we will test everything. They also said they would replace the ammo that is tested. I guess we will see. The sad thing is this problem might not happen again with the ammo my BIL has. After replacing the damage parts on the rifle the shop ran 3 boxes of Federal XM193 through it and had no problems.
Old October 17, 2009, 05:18 AM   #27
thallub

This LC ammo that LC that Federal is selling is military reject. No one knows for sure why it was rejected by the US Army. One thing for sure, some of the cases are drastically out of spec with very long necks. That long neck can get jammed into the forcing cone and cause pressure to increase dramatically. A ballistician friend says the pressure could go to over 90,000 psi. One of these days someone is going to get very seriously injured or killed by that Federal ammo and it will hit the fan.
Old October 17, 2009, 11:40 AM   #28
snuffy

American eagle tactical XM193

It just so happens I have some of the above mentioned ammo. I bought one box(20) from an open case at my local gunshop. I shot real good, and had the coveted LC cases. So I returned to buy a whole case!

I've been shooting it in my bushy 20" scoped AR. It averages 1.5 inch groups @ 100 yds. I ran some over my chronograph, IIRC it was 3350 fps, give or take 50 fps.

I just opened two boxes, did some measurements. The loaded case lengths were right at 1.750- 1.755. Headstamps are two types. Four numbers/letters at 90 degrees L-C-0-7. The other type is LC- -08- -nato circle with cross, oriented at a 120 degree triangle.

I don't know how rumors like this get started. Maybe there's something to this. I will continue to shoot this ammo with expectations similar to already noted performance.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 17, 2009, 12:08 PM   #29
rwilson452

I bought a case of Winchester Q3131 5.56. On inspection it was WCC -07 with the NATO logo. I assumed the cases were military rejects. On closer inspection all the primer crimps were off center.
Old November 11, 2009, 12:27 PM   #30
TN Hillbilly

Update:

My BIL received 600 rounds from Federal, 300 to replace what he sent to them and I guess a extra 300 to make up for the damages done to the rifle. I have great respect for Federal in doing this. They could have told him to kiss off and not sent anything back but what was sent to them.