The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 24, 2009, 11:10 PM   #1
tschlar

M-1 carbine ammo

I'm selling my Inland mfg. div. .30 carbine. I have two sealed military tins of.30 ball ammo. Each tin contains 600 rds. I also have a cloth bandoleer that holds approx. 12 ten rd. stripper clips. What is the value of the ammo alone? Thanks.
Old August 25, 2009, 04:52 AM   #2
mrMONEYman

$1 Bob....

.30 carbine ammo is not manufactured anymore, so it might bring a premius. I was just on gunbroker the other day and saw a tin can like you describe w/ a starting bid around the high $400's to $500.

It is worth as much as you can sell it and as much as what someone is willing to pay for it.
Old August 25, 2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Homer2

I think it depends on the type of ammo you have there. The type and year of manufacture will determine if it's shooting ammo or collecting ammo. Lake City (LC) marked ammo is among the best. LC marked ammo from the 50's to '72 is good for shooting and reloading. If it's WW2 dated Winchester or other, it would be more for collectors and will get a higher price.

Lots of companies currently manufacture .30 carbine ammo today, from Remington, UMC, Georgia arms, etc. Commercial carbine ammo is running about 50 cents a round right now. You probably could get more for the cans and bando than that, but I'm thinking that the ammo market has found it's ceiling and people aren't going to be willing to pay much more in a bad economy.

Let's see some pics of the cans and take a look at the headstamps on the ammo. That'll help.
Old August 25, 2009, 08:31 AM   #4
jonnyc

Carbine ammo is pretty common and not really high on the collector market, no matter the date or how it's packed. Someone might want a WWII-era tin to display with their rifle, but that's pretty limited. What you have is old milsurp shooting ammo, not worth as much as new-made ammunition. Price accordingly and it will sell.
Old August 25, 2009, 01:37 PM   #5
emcon5

Quote:
.30 carbine ammo is not manufactured anymore, so it might bring a premius.
I checked Winchester, Federal, PMC and Remington, all still list .30 Carbine in their catalogs.
Old August 25, 2009, 04:20 PM   #6
impalacustom

You have to be careful of the ChiCom spam cans too, they are corrosive and the only stuff I wouldn't shoot in my carbine. They are identical to LC 52 stuff except berdan primed.
Old August 25, 2009, 05:15 PM   #7
kwells6

even Wolff, Norma, S&B make 30 carbine... including me!
Old August 25, 2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Tom2

What does it say on the tins, if anything? If it is US ammo, you can find out the cost per round that it is selling for these days, at gun-deals.com where commercial ammo is selling from 29 cents a round for Wolf up to 55 cents max for ball ammo. But that is commercial stuff. I would not downgrade USGI stuff to the bottom of that range unless you are needing to sell it off fast. Then I guess if you were to undersell say, Wolf at maybe 25 cents a round, you could make a good piece of money off of it, probably more than you payed? If it is corrosive Chinese LC 52 copy stuff, get what you can for it before they find out what they are buying!
Old August 30, 2009, 12:09 AM   #9
stickhauler

Quote:
If it is corrosive Chinese LC 52 copy stuff, get what you can for it before they find out what they are buying!
That's just so wrong in so many ways!
Old August 30, 2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Orlando

I agree!
Old September 1, 2009, 01:23 AM   #11
medalguy

Realistically this is shooting ammo unless it's early Winchester but you said it's LC so that's that. If it's on stripper clips you can get a little bit more but it's probably in cartons as I recall the spam cans. Currently CMP is selling Aguilla carbine ball ammo for $155 per case of 500 rounds, or 31 cents per. This is fresh ammo and it's just as good as LC. Start your pricing from there.
Old September 1, 2009, 05:43 AM   #12
Orlando

It is worth more than any commercial ammo . Do some online checking, you may be shocked