The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 20, 2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Stoic

Colt Pocket 32

I have a late model Colt Pocket 32. It's has a problem. It will not accept a magazine. The magazine disconnect safety prevents a magazine from full insertion. Anyone encounter this problem before? How do I fix it? Thanks for any replies.
Old July 20, 2006, 09:32 PM   #2
News Shooter

I just picked up my first 1903

and have the exact same problem..i was going to take it to a smith, but I hope we will get an answer here
Old July 20, 2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Deaf Smith

Is the magazine a orgional Colt? If not that might be the problem.
Old July 20, 2006, 11:29 PM   #4
News Shooter

In my case

the only mag that came with it appears to be original. It fits. But any other mag will not
Old July 21, 2006, 12:00 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Let's take the questions one at a time. If the magazine safety won't move to allow the magazine to be inserted, field strip the gun and look at the little plunger that sticks out of the back of the recoil spring guide. It may be stuck in the rear position. It activates the mag safety and if it can't move, the safety can't move forward. If that is not the problem, then the magazine safety itself may be stuck and get back to me on that.

If the plunger is stuck, try loosening it with a good penetrant and some pressure. The spring is heavy, but the plunger must move freely.

Now for the second problem. I assume that in that case the magazine won't enter at all or only with a lot of pressure. If the mag safety is not a problem, check to make sure you don't have a .32 pistol and a .380 magazine. Many people think they are interchangeable but they are not and the guns are different. Even some magazine makers have tried to make a common mag for both calibers; some are too large to fit a .32.

Jim
Old July 21, 2006, 09:11 PM   #6
Deaf Smith

Do the mags say Colt on them? Or .32 on the side. Jim may very well be right on this. I have a VERY old first Gen. Colt .32 auto. Bushing on the front. Never jams! Can't say that about lots of newer Colt .45s!

Mine does not have a magazine safety but the mag is maked with the Colt logo.
Old July 23, 2006, 10:06 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

The original Colt magazines were two tone and had no marking at all. It was not until the .380 came along in 1908 that it became necessary to mark them .32 or .380 to distinguish them.

Jim
Old August 1, 2006, 04:08 PM   #8
News Shooter

I finally kept fooling with mine

Until I got it to work. I put the magazine and then push the latch over to hold it.
Old August 1, 2006, 09:05 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

"I put the magazine and then push the latch over to hold it."

Huh? The magazine catch should be spring loaded. You push it back with the magazine as you insert the magazine, then it snaps over the rear bottom of the magazine as the magazine goes into place.

I am willing to bet you had the gun apart and put the three leaf spring in against the frame, like on a 1911. You have to put the magazine catch in first, inserting the little tab into the slot in the frame, then put the three leaf in so its bottom provides tension to the magazine catch. Then install the mainspring, making sure it engages the hammer, insert the grip safety at the bottom until the holes line up and insert the grip safety pin.

Jim
Old August 2, 2006, 08:12 AM   #10
News Shooter

I'll try to be more clear

I'm not a gunsmith or a mechanic so you'll have to bear with me.

My 1903 came with one apparently original magazine. It works fine. But I bought a couple of after market mags and the magazine latch would not engage them, missing by a fraction of an inch. I finally found that if I force the magazine down with one hand and push the latch over it would hold the magazine. It won't work without the second motion. Now I'm through
Old August 2, 2006, 08:26 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, News shooter,

I realize that sometimes the answers you get may be confusing or just plain wrong, but I think most of us here really want to help.

So one more thought. If the mag catch won't come forward on its own with the new magazines, take a flat file and trim a bit off the bottom rear of the magazine until the catch springs forward and holds the magazine without that second motion. Work with the file in line with the floorplate, not across it. If that works with one magazine, then do the same with the other. Touch up the floor plate with cold blue.

Having to fit magazines is a very common situation with repro magazines.

Jim
Old August 3, 2006, 08:32 AM   #12
News Shooter

Great idea Jim!

That's why I said I'm not a mechanic. I'll give it a try.
Appreciate the help