The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 3, 2005, 08:05 PM   #1
2002gti

what should i expect to pay to fit a beavertail to a 1911?

im going to my local gunsmith to fit a beavertail(bias cut the frame) and install a set of kings hardball sights that should be a drop in install. can anyone give me a rough ball park figure that i should expect to bay for these two procedures. id like to know how much before i go in so i dont get took.
Old May 3, 2005, 09:21 PM   #2
BigSlick

grip safety fitted - max -65.00 drop in - max $35

sights - max - 35.00

Both for about $75-80 bucks + parts

HTH

BigSlick
Old May 4, 2005, 01:34 AM   #3
mikikanazawa

I think fitting a high-grip safety would cost a substantial amount, since it'd have to include frame refinishing and potentially LOTS of grinding.
Old May 4, 2005, 12:17 PM   #4
trespass

self

if fitting a hi-grip safety like the ed brown..check brownell's can get a pin set to guide you with a grinder remving the material...then, polish it up with wet fine grit sandpaper and a polishing wheel...fitting the safety itself into the gun is not difficult..check the khunhausen manual (also available from brownell's) or get the AGI build a 1911 video....and if just a "drop in safety" the manual or video is probably all you need to know. then test fire to be sure of function.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:39 PM   #5
mikikanazawa

Quote:
then test fire to be sure of function.
Make sure the hammer doesn't drop when you disengage the thumb safety! (Assuming a DIY job!)
Old May 5, 2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Dave Sample

It still takes me several hours to do an Ed Brown grip safety. I don't view it as easy to do. I always lost money doing them and I charged $125.00 and that included the part. There are no "Drop In Sights" that I know of, but I am out of touch on some of the new things. Fixed set of sights? Minimum shop charge of $40.00.
Old May 16, 2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

beavertail

Dear shooter:
Novaks had the same problen until I asked Wayne to buy a rotary table. I rigged up a jig the frame locks on and with a .250 cutter cut the .250 radius the Ed Brown takes (NOT the Wilson - a different radius). It takes at most twenty minutes with grinding frame contour and all. Now, lately I've been using Brownells Oxpho-Blue and it does a great job; not as good as hot blue but acceptable.
Also, Brownells sells a little jig, hardened steel, that fits in the safety hole that you can grind part-way and file finish - you should be able to use that and do it yourself as the jig is cheap.
With the Ed Brown be careful in grinding your frame not to get into the safety hole as it's close! You can do this!
Harry b.