The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 30, 2016, 08:56 AM   #1
ligonierbill

Mauser cousins

Had these two out yesterday. The one on the right is a Model 70 Featherweight Classic 6.5x55. Definitely a close cousin. Her job yesterday was to see how well some Hornady 160 RN would shoot, and they did very well, grouping 1" at a touch under 2,500 fps. This rifle will put a couple different bullets under an inch with the right load. So it's only a case of firearms OCD that would cause me to shoot anything else, but...

The other is a fine example of the "handle" of one of our forum's contributors. It started as a 1935 Brazilian that was stock, except for an aperture rear and a cheap plastic stock. I managed to drill and tap the receiver without screwing it up and mounted a Leupold one piece and a Redfield 2-7. Should have checked the bolt first. It was turned down, but didn't clear. Well, I had this Turk that didn't work out (another cautionary tale), and that bolt fit fine. Headspace? GTG. Replaced the trigger and safety with Timney units. But the stock had to go. Another project had left me with a laminated stock from a 1940 Borsigwalde that had been modified by the previous owner. They did a pretty good job, and the Brazilian fit like it was made for it.

Yesterday's task was to sight in my favorite 8x57 load (175 Sierra Pro Hunter over Re-17) and see how she groups. Pretty consistent at 2", not too bad for an original barrel. I haven't done any bedding on the stock either. Very pleasant to shoot, and that Timney is a good one. On to the next one; OCD is a bear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mauser cousins.jpg (22.4 KB, 129 views)
Old September 30, 2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Friend of mine has the Model 70 FC in 6.5, as well, as his primary whitetail rifle.

Very nice piece of kit.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 30, 2016, 11:00 AM   #3
Ricklin

Kissin cousin

Or maybe a sister? My Sears model 50 is my favorite rifle. FN Mauser action, hi standard barrel, and JC Higgins on the barrel. Mine's in .270 and one day it will be my sons rifle.
Old October 1, 2016, 11:12 AM   #4
Gunplummer

I have a re-cut 6.5 Arisaka. Have used 160 grain Sierra semi-pointed bullets in it for years. It was one nasty barrel when I started on it, but is my second favorite deer rifle now. I have shot a lot of deer with it.
Old July 4, 2017, 10:46 AM   #5
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligonierbill
The one on the right is a Model 70 Featherweight Classic 6.5x55.
I didn't know they made them in that caliber but now I want one. Unfortunately, a quick search on Gunbroker does reveal ONE for sale...a walnut and stainless featherweight....with a buy it now price of $3250.

Guess I' have to wait for a while.

Nunya

Last edited by Nunya53; July 4, 2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old July 4, 2017, 11:08 AM   #6
tahoe2

Way to go Bill ! 2 for sure ready to hunt with !! Always a good feeling when all goes well ! that 6.5 load sounds like a winner,
I've downed a deer with that 8mm Pro Hunter 175 hand-load as well, stopped her cold @ 135 yards !
Old July 4, 2017, 11:19 PM   #7
Don Fischer

I've got a Model 70 FW in 6.5x55, love it! I've only had a few mof 70's over the years and this is the first one I have even shot! Da*n nice rifle.
Old July 5, 2017, 06:17 AM   #8
ligonierbill

I feel obligated to point out that I started this thread last deer season. But I guess it's time to look forward to the next. Don't have a picture at the moment, but I picked up a nice sporter FN Mauser in the meantime. This one got a new 6.5x55 barrel, courtesy of Brownell's and a little wrench and reamer work by me. Still working loads for it. The reamer (rented) advertised minimum chamber, and I stopped cutting as soon as the go gauge would go. So it acts a little differently than the Winchester, for one thing faster by more than would be expected from the extra 2" on the barrel. I will work to common loads for them.

BTW, someone asking over 3 grand for a 70's era M70 probably promised a significant other that he'd sell it. "Honey, I'm really trying, but no bids."