The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 3, 2010, 12:00 PM   #1
jamesicus

Camera tripods as rifle rests

I have used Camera Tripods with home-made hunting rifle forearm adapters for many years -- I really like the infinite adjustments/settings and steady shooting platform they provide.

Here is an excellent overview ..........

The Sniper Saddle

.......... my own detachable quick adapter is similar to the 3rd generation depicted except that I use a 3" diameter PVC coupler sawn in half (ideal width as is) and attach the photo tripod head to it using self tapping washer-head screws. I use standard 3" pipe insulator foam to cushion the rifle forearm (total cost of materials from ACE Hardware is approx. $2.00). Fabrication time is about 30 minutes including gluing the foam in place using contact cement. Here are depictions of the completed adapter:

I use a lightweight aluminum Vanguard Photo Tripod (approx $70) that is fully adjustable and comes with an integral carry handle. I am now in my eighties and arthritic joints prevent me from shooting from the prone and sitting positions -- practically all of my range and field shooting is from the standing position where I find the Camera Tripod provides me a very steady hold, producing consistent MOA groups.

Other good references are:

SOTIC photo tripod usage

Precision shooting sniper cradles

Last edited by jamesicus; February 3, 2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added image