The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2005, 08:30 PM   #1
virginia scout

9mm bullseye 124 grain rainier flat point

I loaded some rounds today following the midway site reached from the rainier ballistics site.

Their reccomendation for a plated 124 g Flat point was 3.3 to 3.9 grains of Bullseye.

Well i decided to go from 3.3 to 3.8 with an OAL of 1.090 and CCI Small Pistol primers. Well the 3.3's got out of the barrel and cycled the slide, but just barely. The shells landed on the bench. The 3.8's were a little better but not full ejection, just over the shoulder.

Anybody have any thoughts on the max load for this senerio?
Old March 22, 2005, 01:41 AM   #2
jaysouth

Bullseye is an awfully fast burning powder for 9mm. For optimum loads in a 9mm with 124 jacketed bullets, I would go looking on the bench for a can of Green Dot, 231, Unique, WSF, etc.

I am sure that your current loads are safe, but the pressure curve on a fastburning powder makes it dicy at higher pressures(velocities).

Or, instead of increasing your powder load for the Bullseye, get a lighter recoil spring.
Old March 22, 2005, 12:03 PM   #3
HQBrass

From Alliant's web site but for a 125gr FMJ

Minimum OAL (inches) 1.150
Bbl Length 4.0
Primer Win. W.S.P.
Powder Bullseye
Charge Weight(grains) 4.9
Velocity(fps) 1,155
Chamber Pressure(psi) 32,000

http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg....escr=125%20FMJ

I shoot BE in 9mm with a 115 currently and use 5.1 gr. which exceeds their loading so use at your own risk but I have had no problems at all and they take steel plates down nicely.