The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2008, 02:12 PM   #1
INGunGuy

Lead corrosion?

Hello,

I have been going thru some older ammunition that I have around here. I have found some bullets for my .243 that have some sort of corrosion on the lead tips. I was looking thru my oldest .22 hornet and .243 Winchester ammo, and some looks to have this same kind of corrosion. Is this still safe to fire thru my guns? I am going to attach a couple of pictures to let you see what this stuff looks like.

INGunGuy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0050.jpg (224.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0053.jpg (234.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0056.jpg (198.5 KB, 44 views)
Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government.
Old December 28, 2008, 02:13 PM   #2
INGunGuy

Lead corrosion pictures

More pictures.

INGunGuy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0057.jpg (204.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0060.jpg (224.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0061.jpg (224.2 KB, 36 views)
Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government.
Old December 28, 2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Sport45

The exposed lead has oxidized a little. The bullet tips don't come near the barrel and the jackets look fine. I wouldn't think twice about loading and shooting those. If the oxidation bothers you it can be taken off with some fine steel wool.
Old December 28, 2008, 03:17 PM   #4
jrinne0430

+1 on oxidation. Will make no difference in performance of the ammunition.
Old December 28, 2008, 10:45 PM   #5
INGunGuy

I didnt think it would affect the performance, I just wanted someone else to see the corrosion. BTW, what the hell causes lead to corrode? I mean I didnt think lead corroded?

INGunGuy
Old December 28, 2008, 11:16 PM   #6
glicerin

Steel rusts to iron oxide, just like lead does to lead oxide, usually white, but sometimes brown, yellow or blue. All it takes is time, heat and humidity. A lead alloy with tin or antimony in it will stay shiny for a much longer time.
Old December 28, 2008, 11:25 PM   #7
noyes

desiccant + air tight ammo can + Latex Rubber gloves ( i see finger prints on those ) = very, very, very long term storage
Old December 30, 2008, 12:46 AM   #8
INGunGuy

Yea, this is some really really old ammo that I inherited from my father.

INGunGuy
Old December 30, 2008, 01:15 AM   #9
noyes

I would keep some forever than.
Old December 30, 2008, 11:13 PM   #10
INGunGuy

Oh believe me, I was going to. I have his final loads from .22 hornet, which I took the picture of. I also got a full ammo can, probably 2000+ rounds of .357mag and loads and loads of other ammunition. Heck I even found a couple of hundred rounds of .32, and as far as I can tell he never even owned a .32 Oh well... hats off to dad and his foresight.

INGunGUy
Old December 30, 2008, 11:20 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

They're fine. If you have to store exposed lead for a long time, rub a little Johnson's Paste Wax on it to prevent that.

The oxide layer is harder than plain lead. I would not shoot lead bullets, airgun pellets, or un-patched round ball or miniball with that coating. It is abrasive to the bore if it makes contact with it. It also doesn't shoot as accurately as normal. Don't ask how I know.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 30, 2008, 11:28 PM   #12
INGunGuy

Yea, luckily the .22 hornet and .243 lead tips dont touch the barrel at all so I will probably shoot them at the range. But I will keep some of dad's old loads. Dad was also fond of pushing the .44mag and .22 hornet in the T/C to it's limits. The first time I fired one of his handloaded .44mag the gun just about flew out of my grip...

INGunGUy

Tags
ammo , bullets , corrosion , lead