The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2007, 02:37 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

What recipe should I try first for 10mm with 16" bbl

This is a Mech-Tech, straight blowback action. Which slow-burning powder to use, to utilize the whole 16" of barrel?....I'll be using 200 gr jacketed bullets first run. I'll be chronying - looking for high vels and reasonable accuracy out to 50 yards. Also want to be able to light a cigar from the flash out the ejection port with the straight blowback, when shooting left-handed.
Old March 31, 2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Ammo Junky

155 rem hp over Hodgdons longshot is my favorite hot 10mm load.
9.0 HS6 under 155 hp is a good plinker if it will cycle your action.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old April 18, 2007, 09:29 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

Thanks. I may try the first one. But this is a mech-tech, not a pistol. Anyone with ideas for 200 grains w/ slower burning powder to utilize the whole barrel?
Old April 18, 2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Crosshair

I use Blue Dot in my 9mm carbine loads and get great performance. (115 grain slug at 1550fps.) AA#9 might work as well. AA1680 might be on the slow side, but you could look into it since the 10mm has all that case capacity.

With a blowback action it is kinda tricky because you have to get the bullet going before you loose the chamber seal. You might want to look into using lighter bullets as they seem to get the biggest boost from the extra barrel length. I have not had any luck getting a good boost out of a carbine barrel with heavy bullets in 9mm. Light bullets is where you see the benifit as they get moving quickly before you loose the chamber seal and loose pressure to blowby.

Personaly, I would try Blue Dot and see how that works. Sorry I can't give you any specific loading data but I hope this helps.
Old April 18, 2007, 04:47 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Nice; thanks. Interesting. May have to try some really light bullets like 135s. I'll try blue dot first I guess.
Old April 19, 2007, 12:08 AM   #6
Crosshair

Your welcome, I learned alot about how loading for a locked breech is very different than loading for a blowback. I spent alot of time trying to get heavy 9mm bullets to work in the carbine, but I could never get better than handgun velocities. Heavy bullets just don't get that much boost in a blowback carbine in my experience.

One thing that did work was adding mass to the bolt. On my Hi-Point there is room on the side of the bolt to put lead tape (used on Golf clubs) on the bolt to increase it's mass and change the timing of the gun. However you may also reduce the reliability of the gun so there are tradeoffs to consider. (My Hi-Point wouldn't cycle well with regular ammo when I used the tape.) I don't use lead tape anymore simply because it just wasn't worth the effort for me to time the gun to the load I was using. Just finding the right powder and load was much easier. I figure I would at least tell you about the lead tape method.
Old April 23, 2007, 04:53 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

Suggest Vihtavuori N350 lit by CCI300.