The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 5, 2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Boomer8404

Remington 870 Super Magnum not fully extracting :(

I grabbed up an Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Turkey gun for a good price the other day, got it home, tore it all apart and cleaned & oiled it. Took it out to shoot and it will not extract 2.75" shells, 3" and 3.5" shells it has no problem with.

I was shooting Remington Shur Shot Heavy Dove factory loads & Winchester AA reloads. Both types of hulls are short base (1/4" brass height). I can run 2.75" shells through the magazine and through the action to load just fine, but fired or not, it will only extract the shell 1/2 - 3/4 of the way out of the chamber and then the extractor slips off the shell base and it wont fully extract.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I am also planning on calling Remington about the issue too. Thanks again.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Virginian

Strange. You're probably going to have to work with the extractor. Sounds like the spring force is pushing the weaker hull in so the extractor slips off the lip. The Super uses the same extractor and spring as a regular 870, and the Expresses use a MIM extractor. I believe I would look close at the profile of the extractor lip, and make sure the spring and plunger are moving very freely in the hole. . Might need to change the angle of the lip a little. Might want to look at getting a forged extractor too.
Good luck.
Old March 5, 2012, 08:47 AM   #3
ScottRiqui

Try pumping the action, but stopping mid-cycle so you can get a good look at the extractor. Pull the extractor outward with your finger and let go - it should snap back "with authority". On my new 870, the extractor spring and the "tunnel" it sits in were gunked up pretty badly, giving me extraction problems.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Boomer8404

I solved the 2.75" shell extraction/ejection problem. Basically what it boiled down to was that the extractor spring is plenty strong, so strong in fact that it was pushing the base of the shell over, causing the shell to hang on the alignment rails of the ejector spring (circled in red after they were reshaped). What I did was just put a small taper on the ends of the rails and the very tip of the ejector spring. The small bit reshaping cured the issue. 2.75" shells extract and eject w/o a hitch and there are no more hangups in the action on the rearward pump with 3" & 3.5" shells. Im glad I got it fixed cause I was about to try to sell it at a local gun show this coming weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions in the above comments. My future plans for it are to add a set of Hi Viz 4 in 1 sights and shoot it more. Hopefully I will get to take some game with it.

Old March 7, 2012, 07:03 AM   #5
Virginian

It sure is refreshing to see that are still a few people in this world who can solve a small issue with their own gun. Common sense has become the least common thing around. Excellent job.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:34 PM   #6
kbails84

Extractor or ejector plate. It may be flat and unable to grab the round. OR... dare I say.. fully and properly running the action of the 870.

best of luck friend.

kbails84
Old March 13, 2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Boomer8404

Well I have good news. I wanted to test fire it and with the modifications that I did pretty much cured the issue. I did have a couple of failiures to fully extract, but I still need to do a little tweeking on it to make it right.
Old March 13, 2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Butter

That looks like the ejector tip is broken. It comes to a rounded point that sits inside of a notch on the barrel.
Old March 13, 2012, 02:49 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Butter, I believe that pic was taken after he groung the tips down.
Old March 13, 2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Virginian

Looks fine to me. He ground the part that sticks up, and the original rounded front of the ejector looks fine to me.
Old March 16, 2012, 11:57 PM   #11
Boomer8404

Well I took the Super Mag out again earlier today to test fire some more rounds after a little bit of light tweaking that I did with a dremel grinding stone. Out of 25 2.75" shells, I think only two fully extracted and ejected. I did some closer looking at the parts and discovered that the ejector is broken. I guess I will be ordering a new ejector housing & spring and the tools to go with it.
Old March 19, 2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Butter

The rivets are going to be unfinished, so you might want to get a cold blue pin. Also, Don't be surprised if the rivets stick out a little bit on the outside of the receiver. They are made a little oversized.
Old March 19, 2012, 11:23 AM   #13
justin251

My dad bought me and him one back when I was in high school. They did the same thing. We sent them to Remington and both are solid now.

Mine hangs every once in a blue moon. A quick shot of rem oil and it doesn't happen again for another couple hundred rounds or so.

Edit: you know its only happened on the cheap clay/dove loads. Never hung up on me while duck hunting with 3" Hypersonic steels.

Last edited by justin251; March 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old March 19, 2012, 11:29 AM   #14
dlb0412

I would send it back to remington. I wouldnt grind on a brand new gun. You shouldnt have to.
Old March 20, 2012, 05:54 PM   #15
TheKlawMan

I don't believe the OP said it was a brand new gun and even if it was, I don't think Remington warranty department will cover things after the OP ground the tips off of the ejector.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; March 21, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:18 PM   #16
Virginian

You can change the ejector and ejector spring without changing the rivets if you are real careful. I've done several, mostly changing 2-3/4" guns to shoot 3".