The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 21, 2014, 12:01 AM   #1
kawasakifreak77

Wanting first front stuffer, can't decide on caliber. Guide me along!

Spending more time reloading than I do shooting I think it'd be nice to have something that doesn't require another set of dies, buying brass etc. Just load & shoot! Always been curious about black powder, just never acted on the itch.

I'm looking for suggestions on purchasing my first BP rifle. Here's what I'd do with it & what I like:

Looking around the traditional percussion rifles by Thompson or Lyman seem to be the most visually appealing yet offer a couple modern features (like fiber optic sights & recoil pad) that'd be nice to have. I generally like old stuff, but it doesn't have to be 100% historically accurate.

50 caliber looks like the best for component availability but not being a big game hunter I'm worried one might be overkill for my needs. I target shoot the most, occasionally getting to hunt small game or varmints. I think this is my biggest hangup is caliber & twist rate. Could a 50 be loaded down enough not to blow a rabbit in half, then high enough to reach out 100+ meters accurately for targets? If not what caliber?

Any insight greatly appreciated!
Old August 21, 2014, 02:13 AM   #2
DoubleDeuce 1

I have been shooting a Thompson Center .50 cal Hawken for over thirty years. I have never had any complaints about the rifle, and it has always performed for me. My brother shoots the Lyman GPR. I think he is on his third barrel. The one that came with the rifle was junk. The factory replacement one was junk too. I don't know the brand he has on it now.

I do love my TC Hawken.
Old August 21, 2014, 04:26 AM   #3
ligonierbill

Since you are ruling out big game, look around for a .32 or .36 "squirrel rifle" replica. No problem finding ball for those, and of course powder and caps (or flints) are the same, other than FFFg for smaller calibers and FFg for larger. Punching holes in paper, a good rifle in these bores will be fine. And you save on powder and shot.
Old August 21, 2014, 07:09 AM   #4
g.willikers

My favorite caliber is the .45, rifled with a slow twist for patched ball.
It can be loaded various ways, from very light target to serious hunting.
.45s seem to be very accurate.
Old August 21, 2014, 07:43 AM   #5
noelf2

Quote:
My favorite caliber is the .45, rifled with a slow twist for patched ball.
It can be loaded various ways, from very light target to serious hunting.
.45s seem to be very accurate.
^^+1^^

The .45 is very versatile, and doesn't foul as fast as the smaller .32 and .36 calibers. Load it light and you punch a nice hole through a rabbit or squirrel. Load it heavier and you can take deer, or punch paper at reasonable distances.
Old August 21, 2014, 07:49 AM   #6
Wyosmith

I have a friend in Riverton Wyoming that has a like-new TC Hawken in 50 cal to sell. It looks unfired. He picked it up from an old man at a yard sale. It's one of the older ones and it's in suburb condition. He does want to sell it.
If you PM me I'll give you his number.

I have shot a lot of the TCs in the past and they shoot extremely well with light charges. Usually about 50-60 grains of 3F will put the balls all into a very small group
Old August 21, 2014, 09:01 AM   #7
mehavey

Either a Lyman Great Plains in 50 caliber (still being manufactured) or a Thompson Center
in either 45 or 50 caliber (available used only). I recommend slow (1:60) twist for roundball
in the Lyman, while TC comes only w/ a "universal" 1:48 that can still shoot roundball OK).

I would install a Lyman 57 rear aperture sight on either/both, with the Great Plains having the
advantage of already being drilled/tapped for it. No fiber optic front sights needed.

Roundball can be loaded up up for whitetail, or down for rabbit. Again, no recoil pad needed.

Having myself multiple rifles in multiple calipers from both manufacturers above, I'd recommend
starting w/ the Great Plains/60-twist/50cal/aperture sight combination.
Old August 21, 2014, 10:16 AM   #8
Pahoo

I like the way you think !!

The bad news is that TC/Smith, is no longer making nor supporting any SideLocks. The good news is that not too many folks are aware of this and there are plenty of used ones out there that are still fairly reasonable. Also, while looking at TC Hawken models, consider their other SideLocks, like the Renegade, New Englander and Pennsylvania Hunters. ...

The good news on Lyman, is that they still make and support their Great Plaines series as well as the Trade and Stalkers. Well made and accurate. ..

On the higher end, there are the Pedersoli's and they are super and the choices will make your head spin.. ...

One of my bench rifles is a .45 TC-Hawken PRB, with Lyman target sights and slow twist. My other range rifle is a Pedersoli Scout. My two .50 Hunters, are TC and Lyman G.P. My small game hunter is a .36 TC Seneca. ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 22, 2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old August 21, 2014, 10:28 AM   #9
jimbob86

Quote:
have a friend in Riverton Wyoming that has a like-new TC Hawken in 50 cal to sell. It looks unfired. He picked it up from an old man at a yard sale. It's one of the older ones and it's in suburb condition.
"Suburb condition" means it never saw the countryside?

I've got a .45 1/66" flintlock ...... great fun for plinking ..... not enough gun for deer hunting, IME ......
Old August 21, 2014, 11:45 AM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

As for store buying your first. You should be made aware of the different twist rate's and their versatile possibilities. {other than patched ball} Caliber. Barrel length based on your needs. Type of butt plate. (crescent or shotgun type w/wo pad.) Then it comes time to personally try and shoulder each manufactures product your interested in. Shoulder fit and the ease of line of sight down their barrels is perhaps most paramount. {You'll find each rifle in its own way is different from another.} Cost is the last hurdle. As with any new rifle the cost of traditional ownership is moving upwards like everything else. ($)

BTW: I shoot a 45 Traditional primarily. That's the way I chose to start out. And probably will stay the course. Have never owned another manufacture's B/P weapon other than T/C's. So having limited experience. I can't suggest who's the best B/P rifle manufacture. But whom ever's rifle you choose. It will be a whole new shooting experience your undertaking.
Old August 21, 2014, 02:16 PM   #11
rodwhaincamo

I have a Lyman's .50 cal Deerstalker. I bought it thinking I'd really like the fiber optic sights, and possibly need the recoil pad.

I've found that the front sight is a little think. At 50 yds it's OK, but I'm thinking it would take up too much sight picture at 100 yds. I want to replace it with a thinner sight and paint it with glow in the dark paint for low light conditions.

I also had read that larger bore rifles, especially when shooting conicals, can really create some recoil. But I've fired the Lee 320 grn REAL with 70 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford, which is a more energetic powder, and it wasn't much, though I did only fire 3 of them after shooting plenty of patched round balls (PRB's).

This rifle comes with the "compromise" 1:48" twist, and at 50 yds it does rather well. I've yet to work on it's true accurate load as I've merely broken it in with ~200 shots. But I also need glasses, which is partly why I haven't done more with it yet.

The REAL's, after using a wad, produced two shots nearly touching at 50 yds without working on an accurate powder charge. It certainly has promise!

A lot of old timers seems to use their large bore rifles to hunt small game. Shoot the head and it's all good. Or for squirrels they'll "bark 'em" by shooting just under them and allowing the bark to kill/stun them.

I'm going to have to try this myself, but I do want a small bore rifle, which still requires head shots, but seems more proper than using a .490 caliber ball!

For the money I think my rifle is great. But I wonder if I'd prefer having the Pedersoli Country Hunter instead...
Old August 21, 2014, 10:53 PM   #12
Colorado Redneck

.45 cal black powder rifle??

Where can one obtain a good inline .45 cal black powder rifle? I have looked and there does not seem to be much available. That would be the perfect all around caliber, for deer, pronghorn, and target shooting, IMHO.
Old August 22, 2014, 12:23 AM   #13
Chuck Dye

Yeah, I know I am repeating the reference, but... Take a look at the Lyman Black Powder Handbook and get an idea of what can be done, then compare that with what you want to do.
Old August 22, 2014, 01:23 AM   #14
kawasakifreak77

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Oh shoot, I forgot to say: show off your rifle with some pics so I can get a visual!
Old August 22, 2014, 05:00 AM   #15
darkgael

BP

The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is, arguably, the best buy in factory muzzleloaders.
I have a GPR flintlock that I picked up some years ago from a friend....I am at least the third owner. It shoots very nicely indeed with the original factory barrel.
100 yards, .490 LRB, 0.010 patch, 90 grains Goex FFg.

I have since moved along to smoothbores..... but that is a whole 'nother thing.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; August 22, 2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old August 22, 2014, 10:06 AM   #16
Pahoo

I agree !!!

Quote:
That would be the perfect all around caliber, for deer, pronghorn, and target shooting, IMHO.
Kind of diverting the thread but have to agree with you. Performance wise, the .45 with the proper Sabot, shot-string, is one of the deadliest hunters on the market. .....

JMHO and;
Be Safe !!!