The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Dodge DeBoulet

Graf's Canceled my Primer Order!

Back in February, I ordered 10K of Federal FA100 small pistol primers. I assumed I'd have to wait a while to get my hands on them, but it now seems as though I'll never get them. Why? Because Graf's will apparently take your order, let it sit in the queue for months, then arbitrarily cancel it on you.

Now, I didn't even know it had been canceled until I discovered their phone number on my caller-id and called them back to find out why they called (no message was left). They looked into their system and could find no record of my order; I was told that it must have been canceled due to a price increase.

This is very disturbing, and makes it unlikely that I will order from Graf's again. Other vendors through which I've had hard-to-get products on backorder for extended periods of time have not resorted to such practices.

Be forwarned.
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
- Charles Austin Beard
Old July 28, 2010, 01:50 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

I find it hard to believe a price increase on primers in the last six months - they've generally been going down as the supply has increased. I would have thought they'd be happy to sell you 10 k primers at the February prices.

Are they still selling FA100 primers? What does their site say about their current availability? I could possibly see them canceling your backorder if they're no longer selling those, but even then, decency would suggest that they at least give you the opportunity to select a different brand and keep your place in line.
Old July 28, 2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Dodge DeBoulet

When I called them, the woman I spoke with offered to sell me Federal FA100's at $141.59/5K, which is now the price listed on their web site (they were $133.99/5K when I ordered them in February).

Interestingly, the web site shows them out of stock, although the CS person I spoke with said there wouldn't be any trouble getting me what I had originally ordered . . . . but not at the original price.

Seems pretty shady to me.
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
- Charles Austin Beard
Old July 28, 2010, 04:07 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

I agree that sounds shady. It appears that they're screwing you out of your backorder in the hopes of making an extra $15 on the primers.
Old July 28, 2010, 06:47 PM   #5
mrawesome22

I don't like not being able to track my order. I've ordered twice from them, but the lack of communication is something I don't like. The second time I ordered from them I had to cancel it. The website said the scope rings were in stock, when in fact, they were not. They called me and I said keep 'em. They then said "Well we expect them in stock in a week". I said "Hell, I ordered them a week ago and your now telling me another two weeks at least?" Lesson learned. Shoulda had a Midway LOL.
Old July 28, 2010, 06:51 PM   #6
gandog56

Well, except for Graf's C&R license holder discounts usually being better than Midway's C&R license holder discounts.
Old July 28, 2010, 06:53 PM   #7
armoredman

Discount only matters if you can get your product.
Old July 28, 2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Dodge DeBoulet

After following up with Graf's via email this afternoon (the email to them stated pretty much what you read in my first post), I received a call from a very pleasant young lady who was very apologetic about the situation. She did state that backorders were subject to price changes, but that they shouldn't have just arbitrarily canceled my order. To make up for the cancellation she said they'd honor the original price and ship them out immediately. I'll have them by Wednesday next week.

So I'm happier than I was before, but I've learned that you can't count on the price you see being the price you'll pay if the item you order isn't in stock at the time.
- Charles Austin Beard
Old July 28, 2010, 09:34 PM   #9
armoredman

Good to know there's a happy ending!
Old July 28, 2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Florida Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDB
I've learned that you can't count on the price you see being the price you'll pay if the item you order isn't in stock at the time.
Interesting, I see places that say "accepting back-orders" all the time but I've always just moved on. If it's a possibility the price may change before your order is fulfilled, they need to clearly state that and get your approval before processing. Anything else will result in annoyed customers.

I'm glad they made it right in the end.
Old July 29, 2010, 10:54 AM   #11
oldscot3

I thought the prices were going down. I bought two boxes of large pistol on sale yesterday at my local retailer for $59.00 including the sales tax. He said they have a large stock of primers and powder.
Old July 29, 2010, 11:24 AM   #12
troy_mclure

Quote:
So I'm happier than I was before, but I've learned that you can't count on the price you see being the price you'll pay if the item you order isn't in stock at the time.
midway has honored several backorder prices for me, once even after a 6mo wait, and $9 increase.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old July 29, 2010, 11:27 AM   #13
oneounceload

Quote:
but I've learned that you can't count on the price you see being the price you'll pay if the item you order isn't in stock at the time.
Unless they guarantee to hold the price, that is correct. If they have incurred a price increase from the mfg. during that time period, their cost has gone up, and so will yours. Just like gasoline, the increase is based on the replacement cost of goods.

I have used Graf's on many occasions and have never had an issue with anything, so it seems there will be OOPS, just like any other company.