The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 16, 2009, 08:10 AM   #1
CaptainCrossman

1858 Remington from various parts

re: parts interchange

I bought a pile of 1858 Remington parts for $60 to my door, the guy even threw in a brand new Lee bullet mold in box .451"- what I got was a cylinder made by Pietta, hammer, a barrel made by ASM, grips that needed to be sanded to fit, trigger, (2) mainsprings, stainless bolt and stainless hand, trigger guard rough cast needing fitting/filing, grip screw, hand screw, trigger/bolt spring. There was also a Colt mainspring in the lot.

Looking around, I bought a nice unused 1858 Rem kit gun frame from someone, with another spare Colt mainspring, for $58 to my door- unkown make-blued- with date code XX8 on the side (1972)

Last night I spent a few hours fitting/filing the parts. I borrowed the trigger/bolt/hammer screws and cylinder pin from my other complete 1858, to test fit the new parts/frame. I had to file the bolt lock opening in the frame larger so the bolt would fit, the rear hammer recess had to be filed in the frame, so the hammer would full cock. The hand was too long and caused overcock condition, so filed that down until it was right. The trigger guard was too wide and the tail on it had to be filed down, to fit the frame, it was rough cast unpolished from a kit. The underside of the hand was rough, dremeled that smooth. There was rust in the hand channel in the frame, used a small file to clean that out. The front of the frame was rough where cylinder meets frame (end where bullet comes out when fired)- that was lightly filed to flat it. The grips I marked with a pencil, and just guickly filed off to roughly match the frame. The back of the cylinder was a bit rough, so I filed that lightly then noticed the "FAP" marking on the cylinder.

The barrel was imported by Richland Arms.

Borrowed the cylinder pin from my other 1858, stuck it in, the action works. Built the gun from (3) different mfrs. parts, spanning 37 years (1972 to now), on my kitchen table, using files and a dremel.

All I have to do now, is screw the barrel in, and get a cylinder pin, 3 screws, and a ramrod/loading plunger setup, and this is a working gun. So far my investment is $118, but I got a bullet mould with that too.

yes, it would be a lot less hassle to just buy a Cabela's gun for $169 next time they go on sale, but to prove a point, these parts will all interchange between makes/year or mfr.- with a little filing and fitting.

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; May 16, 2009 at 03:19 PM.