The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 03:48 PM   #1
rburch

New FNH FNS-9

So I picked up a new toy yesterday after work, and put 50 rounds through it as the sun set...

I'm in love already.

It was more reliability that accuracy testing since the light was fading fast, but still was a sweet shooter.

Did manage to get a single failure to feed on the 4th shot, but couldn't get it to repeat the problem, so I believe it was user induced. (Was using gloves and think my thumbs rubbed and slowed the slide)

I also had a few failures to lock back because the grip I developed for my CZ leaves my thumb on the slide release. Just something I'll have to change.

Here it is, more in depth range reports as I finish my pre-carry testing and evaluation period.

I will say FN doesn't cheap out on the packaging for these guns. Night sights, 3 mags, a nice hard case.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:01 PM   #2
915A

Nice man! I was real close to picking that up as my first. It's still on my want list.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Sheriff Gotcha

I love FNH as a manufacturer, the FNS is on my short list for my first carry weapon. Good buy for sure.

Waiting on the FNX Tactical to come out too to make it my first 45 ACP firearm. Just love this manufacturer lol.

Last edited by Sheriff Gotcha; January 29, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:14 PM   #4
rburch

I've put a few more mags through her, and just like it more and more every time I pull the trigger.

Can't wait to finish up this test period, and start carrying this gun.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old February 1, 2013, 03:38 PM   #5
TheRaskalKing

Nice purchase!

I'm super jealous- I love the FNS/X series- almost picked up an FNX for my EDC gun but got a sweet deal on a USP compact instead.

IMHO the FNS/X series is vastly underrated. I shoot them as straight as I shoot anything else. It doesn't get the love or pub that glocks/XDMs/M&Ps/etc. do and I have no idea why other than perhaps lack of marketing on FNH's part?

Anyway- happy shooting!
Old February 1, 2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Sheriff Gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRascalKing
Nice purchase!

I'm super jealous- I love the FNS/X series- almost picked up an FNX for my EDC gun but got a sweet deal on a USP compact instead.

IMHO the FNS/X series is vastly underrated. I shoot them as straight as I shoot anything else. It doesn't get the love or pub that glocks/XDMs/M&Ps/etc. do and I have no idea why other than perhaps lack of marketing on FNH's part?

Anyway- happy shooting!
I don't know why either, I think your right on the lack of marketing on FNH's part. As well I think they may be more known for their rifles, Scar, FAL and PS90, as opposed to their pistols.

Last edited by Sheriff Gotcha; February 1, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old February 1, 2013, 09:55 PM   #7
rburch

Another 51 rounds downrange after work today. Did some holster work and reloads, and wow, I already shoot this thing as well as I shoot any of my other pistols.

My neighbor came over to ask if I was shooting a Glock based on the rate of fire. He's a revolver guy. Anyway long story short he had an old Glock 17 mag and no Glock so he gave it to me. Was even full of Win Silvertips.

Don't own a Glock, but know a girl with one...
Old February 2, 2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Bart Noir

Thanks for this thread. Until you posted I didn't even know that FN was making a striker-fired pistol.

How long have they had this on the market?

Bart Noir
Old February 2, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9
seeker_4

new fns9

They went to public not too long ago, still new enough finding a holster is the hardest part. I saw the FNS 40 and went back and looked at it about 8 times before I built the nerve to put out the bucks for it. Finally jumped in and yea, I understand the love part... this weapon is awsome. I cleaned it, but found it actually clean in the box. Started at 15 yards, then 25 and 50 and never changed anything with the sights... accurate first time out. 3 magazines. I planned on 50 rounds for first time out, did 250 because it was great, and fun. I am a retired LEO and wish I could have carried this back when I had to. I am a fan on the striker trigger pull and changed nothing so far. Truly one of the best guns I have ever fired... no regrets. Only now, .40 S&W is hard to find so the reloader is gonna get a workout... so I can have more fun...
Old February 2, 2013, 06:09 PM   #10
915A

This is good to hear, I was really close to picking this up. But I cheaped out and got my Ruger much cheaper. Love the Ruger, but looking to add to my collection and this is on my short list in a .40

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 2, 2013, 09:43 PM   #11
rburch

Quote:
Thanks for this thread. Until you posted I didn't even know that FN was making a striker-fired pistol.

How long have they had this on the market?

Bart Noir
It came out last year, and yeah most people seem to have never heard of them for some reason.

Quote:
.40 S&W is hard to find so the reloader is gonna get a workou
FN announced they will offer conversion kits to swap between 9mm & 40 later this year, not that 9mm is much easier to find. Still it means you can buy whichever you can find and just shoot that.

Quote:
still new enough finding a holster is the hardest part.
Holsters are still harder to find than the popular stuff, but not any worse than my CZ's.

Galco makes some, and that's who I got mine from. I know High Noon Holsters has several models for them.

Safari Land makes Duty Holsters for the FNS, and I believe I've seen one in a Serpa somewhere, but haven't checked that for sure.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:25 AM   #12
FairWarning

Looking forward to trying one of those.

Super sweet handling for sure.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:32 AM   #13
rburch

So far the only thing I'd change is the rear sight. I love the sight picture, it's super accurate, and fast, but one hand only reloads and malfunction drills are a lot harder with a Novak style sight.

Not the end of the world, and the gun is fast becoming my favorite pistol, but I wish there was a bit more ledge on the front of the sight.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Sheriff Gotcha

I think you are slowly turning my decision back to an FN handgun for my CCW choice. FNX or FNS I am not sure, but I love the company. 3 mags in this day and age is almost a must as well and definitely makes the decision easier.

Again, I say good purchase, hope all fairs well.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:58 PM   #15
rburch

Impressed with the company myself.

Though I'm thinking it may be a bit big to conceal during shorts & t-shirt weather.

Still open carry, home defense, and winter carry, it's going to replace my CZ I think.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:20 AM   #16
seeker_4

Went down to the gun shop last night and was amazed on how empty it was. Bare shelves and display cases. No .22 shells even.. no 9's, 40's, not even .243. He just recieved 4 handguns from FNH and that brought his total to 19 handguns in the shop (used to have 6 display cases full always). I like everyone else am wondering where this is going to. I have to drive 180 miles round to pick up reloading equipt because everything is sold out, on order, and can't get orders in even. And they've already told me they too can't get materials hardly.
I wrote before how my FNS 40 has become my most favorite of all handguns ever and I watched him put the FNS9 in and came to the conclusion NOW is the time. I have about 400 9mm loaded, about the same in 40 and enough in stock to reload a couple thousand more of each.... so OK, gave my .40 a buddy. The owner is a friend and he told me he has about 400 9mm brass hoarded I could get. I have considered other calibers, but this is what I'm equiped for right now and can load enough of each to last quite some time. Then too, may be the last purchase for a long time so I'm happy enough with FNH I figure it's the way to go. He's down to 18 now, and I'm tickled as can be.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:58 PM   #17
rburch

So after 300 rounds I'm calling an end to the pre-carry trail period.

200 rounds of FMJ, and 100 Hornady Critical defense.

Normally I'd want another 100 of the carry ammo, but at this point I honestly don't know when I'll get more of it to test.

I have just enough to fill the FN and my Kahr CW9 mags, so I'm not willing to shoot it without replacements.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:07 AM   #18
Ben Towe

A friend of mine picked up an FNS-40 stainless a couple days ago and I had the pleasure of shooting it. Needless to say, I will be purchasing one post-haste. It's a real shooter and feels great in hand.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:00 PM   #19
rburch

Quote:
A friend of mine picked up an FNS-40 stainless a couple days ago and I had the pleasure of shooting it. Needless to say, I will be purchasing one post-haste. It's a real shooter and feels great in hand.
I actually wanted the 40, but couldn't find one.

I'm getting the conversion when it becomes available though.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:02 AM   #20
Ben Towe

Quote:
I actually wanted the 40, but couldn't find one.

I'm getting the conversion when it becomes available though.
I put one on layaway Tuesday, can't wait to get it paid off and take it for a spin.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:39 AM   #21
seeker_4

my FNS's

I need to send a thank you letter to the clown (Obumba). Got my taxes done and actually getting a decent return. Paying off my credit card, which means Uncle Sugar is going to pay for both my FNS's. He's squeeking, but in essence, he's buying me both guns. How kewl is that?
I have a friend that is a gunsmith, confirmed .45 guy, but said he's never actually handled an FNS. Took em both over and he shot them. Then gave him a ride to town. The other 3 the dealer got in, was already gone, but my buddy is heading to the gun show in Reno this weekend, with FNS on his mind. He too loved it. He wants the .40...said Uncle Sugar didn't treat him as well. Said he wished them in a .45, but liked them well enough to live with a .40. He's serious enough he ordered a holster last night......