The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 29, 2005, 01:35 PM   #1
zeisloft

Shut er down boys, shut er down

OK boys, I think we need to slow this talk. I believe it is in our best interest not to mention the "deer" word or any of its derivatives, (to include but not limited to ... buck, doe, fawn, hoss, muy grande, cloven hoofed meat snake proprietor, fur covered meat wad, sausage component, wall hanger, bullet and/or arrow sponge, woodland stirfry, the meat that makes your heart beat, protein provider, bush beef, the other pork, "brown pigs", the sultan of sausage, the vendor of venison, the vessel of vittels, strap bearer, the mayor of tenderloin town, the poiprietor of pan fry, or the comptroller of callegen casings) until atleast mid August. You are making me feel a little bit bloody. I dont think I'll be able to concentrate till October if we dont slow it down now. I do not mean to stifle anyones free speach, but I feel that its a bit early. Also try to refrain from mentioning anything about "puttin one between the pump and the broiler room", thanks. Lets talk about fishing for another month or so.
Old July 29, 2005, 02:46 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For the good of your soul, I strongly urge you to find a website catering to fishing. Sorry, but this is a hunt forum. Just one of the little realities of life, I guess.

Life is full of little problems. I had a problem, once, but she quit me. Things have never been the same since--for which I give thanks.

Texas deer season is November, for a couple of months. Until then, I'll just make do with coyotes...

, Art
Old July 29, 2005, 04:05 PM   #3
zeisloft

Art, sharp stick season starts in Oct. And Ive been trying my best to remain calm till then. The coyotes, prairie dogs, and rabbits have all been part of my group therapy.
~z
Old July 29, 2005, 08:50 PM   #4
DucksOnThePond

if you go fishing here in the South take a rifle with you anyway. no season on wild hogs. might see some and need to do a little of that bloody shooting.
Old July 29, 2005, 10:27 PM   #5
stevelyn

Heh....most hunting opens up next month up here.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 29, 2005, 10:47 PM   #6
Greybeard

Quote: "Lets talk about fishing for another month or so."

Some of us will fish only because it's too hot to hunt.

' Might wet a worm late tomorrow - but will likely be far more focused on stalkin' turtles and water mocs.
Old July 30, 2005, 01:31 AM   #7
Twycross

Quote:
I do not mean to stifle anyones free speach, but I feel that its a bit early.
If I had put in for the right controlled hunt tag drawings, I would be out in the woods at the end of August. And it's never too early to answer newbie questions.
Old July 30, 2005, 01:37 AM   #8
chaplain john

Zeisloft can we talk about going after "side-hill salmon"?
Old July 30, 2005, 03:16 AM   #9
yorec

See that little "off" switch on yer monitor? Press it... Now, you won't have to read any of the rest that might involve deer huntin'!

Antelope season starts in a month here - deer directly after that. Time to start gearing up!
Old July 30, 2005, 07:55 AM   #10
PSE

2 weeks away here in SC. but it ends jan 1 so we better hurry up.
Old July 30, 2005, 10:03 AM   #11
Dean C

Bear and Cougar opens here in 2 days. I'm loading the truck now.
dean
Old July 30, 2005, 04:49 PM   #12
Rojoe67

This is a hunt zone..........

Sorry, this spot is hunting 24/7 -365. There is almost always something to talk about in the hunting department even in the dead of summer

Baiting bears kicks off real soon here in Michigan..... Youth hunt just around the bend.........and ah........my favorite, bow season October 1st just to get started..... Fishing is fine too with a bow Some fine carp shooting up in Saginaw Bay and Titabawassee River.... (spring)

Regards
Old July 31, 2005, 10:45 PM   #13
Greybeard

Well, I see this one still clickin' after I've returned to "civilization" from a night under the West Texas stars and about 6 hours in the sun.

While using stock tank dam as a backstop for a little tuneup with the '06, I put out a couple of lines to see what would take the bait. No fishes to report, but I did drag in a couple of turtles. Got to see what a .40 Gold Dot does to 'em out of a 4" Barsto barrel in a Glock 29. The coyotes won't have to work very hard tonight to get at what was left of the insides.
Old July 31, 2005, 11:09 PM   #14
sm

Quote:
For the good of your soul, I strongly urge you to find a website catering to fishing. Sorry, but this is a hunt forum. Just one of the little realities of life, I guess.
-Art

Yeah well that maybe so - still some of us post about Busting Doves early, farm pond fishing to pass the time until the noon time BBQ Feast, then nap at said pond again from all the BBQ eating with a cane pole for appearance - waiting for the evening Dove Bustin' for them Gray Missles missed that mornin' by others to come back .

I thought everyone tossed out bleach jugs with hook, line , sinker and baited with chicken livers, main lines tied to tree/ piers on banks the night before the opening day of Dove Season.

Work smarter not harder I say. Besides gives one something to do when they limit out early only using 13 shells for a 15 bird limit. Haul in the catfish.

Not a darn thing wrong with eating Doves, along with Catfish, Crappie or Bream. I was raised right - ya hear?

I just cheat and mask the fishing posts with Hunting, Shotguns,whatever and even once figured out how to do a post in L&P with fishing in it.

More to responsible firearms ownership than firearms. -Anon
Old August 1, 2005, 01:17 AM   #15
Brick

I knew once sm got in here things would be bursting full of tasty dinners...

And we all know about sm's mastery of "food obtaining"

Old August 1, 2005, 09:05 AM   #16
38splfan

Early and Antsy.

If you get antsy about deer too easily, allow me to suggest my 12 step program. It has saved many a buck fever victim, and a few venison addicts as well. My name is John, and I was a deer addict

1. crappie
2. bass
3. walleye
4. dove
5. squirrel
6. coyotes
7. rabbit
8. wild hogs
9. trout
10. grouse
11. antelope
12. prairie dogs

Combined with a healthy amount of general woodsloafing, these steps can effectively treat even the strongest addiction.
Not only will these twelve steps remove the emphasis your mind places on deer hunting, but they can, over time, lead to a complete replacement of the mournful complex known to the scientific community as "buckititus".

There is a cure, freind, just be willing to help yourself