The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 19, 2013, 05:59 PM   #1
fsfty

S&W 686 for HD

I've been using my 686 for HD, and each evening I take the gun out of the safe and load it. Each morning I unload it and put it back in the safe while I'm at work. I think I read that opening and closing the cylinder a lot, like I do daily, isn't good for the gun. Is this true? Sorry if this is a dumb question...this is my first revolver.
Old February 19, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2
g.willikers

As long as the cylinder is operated in a gentle manner, and not flung about, like in the movies, it's fine.
Old February 19, 2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Ozzieman

Charter Arms are not the strongest guns in the world, I did the same thing to a Bulldog for over 15 years and today it’s still tight and functions without any problems.
But as g.willikers said, you can do a lot of damage to a gun if mishandled and it doesn’t take that many times doing the Joe Friday.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 19, 2013, 06:34 PM   #4
K_Mac

I am curious why you unload it when you lock it up? I don't think you can wear out the revolver doing so properly, just seems like a lot of work...
Old February 19, 2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

You won't hurt by unloading loading it daily. I'm curious though why you bother? It's locked up when you aren't home and unless someone is getting in your safe when you aren't home, I'd just leave it loaded.
Old February 19, 2013, 06:47 PM   #6
fsfty

I'm in NY where we have permits and the handbook states safe storage is an unloaded weapon in a safe / lockbox. For those of you that live in freedom, you probably can't understand what it's like here. Thanks for your help.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:06 PM   #7
MrBorland

+1 to g.willikers. A 686 is my primary match gun - just guessing, but I may open & close it daily than most 686's see in a year. Don't flick it open & closed, and it'll be fine. Enjoy your 686.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:12 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

My 2 bits...

There are no dumb questions, only dumb people.

Really, your HD plan is sound. You are doing ok. I'd add to read the S&W owners manual, keep the stainless wheel gun clean, use only factory made high quality rounds for home protection(Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Buffalo Bore, Corbon, Speer Gold Dot) & know the local gun-use of force laws.
You may want to add a CT lasergrip to your L frame .357magnum. The bright red dot may aid your marksmanship at 430am in a critical incident.
Later on you can buy a NIB Smith & Wesson M&P .357magnum R8 revolver if you want. That N frame has a 8 round cylinder & a 1913 tactical rail you can add a white light or green laser to.
It's high tech but worth it for home security IMO.
Clyde
Old February 20, 2013, 07:11 AM   #9
shafter

It won't hurt a thing. Like some have mentioned previously, their guns are opened and closed a lot during matches. Just don't abuse it and it will be fine.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:43 AM   #10
YankeeSpirit76

I have a 686 that I've owned for 14 years now, must have been opened and closed a thousand times at least with no problem.
I'm curious about what you said about where "it states that safe gun storage is an unloaded gun in a safe". Is that their suggestion, or, is it mandatory?
Are you committing a crime if you lock a loaded gun in a safe?
Old February 20, 2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Pharm

Quote:
As long as the cylinder is operated in a gentle manner, and not flung about, like in the movies, it's fine.
I agree. Don't do the TV flip wrist technique and the 686 will far outlast you.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I'm in NY where we have permits and the handbook states safe storage is an unloaded weapon in a safe / lockbox. For those of you that live in freedom, you probably can't understand what it's like here. Thanks for your help.

Just curious then, but is it even legal to keep it loaded at night while sleeping?
Old February 20, 2013, 03:49 PM   #13
MercyfulFate

Unloading it like that is fine, otherwise how would you shoot it it, load and unload it at the range all the time?

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old February 20, 2013, 04:11 PM   #14
southjk

I think everything I've read about storing guns, including my owners manuals recommend storing them unloaded. I think we can all agree that an unloaded gun is less likely to go off and hurt anyone. That said, if it's locked in a safe I see no reason to not keep it loaded. I keep my 686 in my safe with 6 in it and two speed loaders next to it. And it is not my primary home defense gun.

So the question is, is it NY Law that it be stored unloaded or just their recommendation?
Old February 20, 2013, 07:41 PM   #15
jad0110

Quote:
I think everything I've read about storing guns, including my owners manuals recommend storing them unloaded. I think we can all agree that an unloaded gun is less likely to go off and hurt anyone.
One nit to pick: Guns don't just "go off". The phrase "don't worry, it isn't loaded" is often followed by "it just went off!", usually because some put their booger hook on the bang switch.

As for owners manuals, I had a Taurus manual years ago that stated something to the effect of:

"WARNING: Storing a loaded firearm may result in serious injury or death."

A few "warnings" later, is stated:

"WARNING: Storing an unloaded firearm may result in serious injury or death."

Either they have a sense of humor or they were trying to cover their butts from every angle.

Last edited by jad0110; February 20, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old February 20, 2013, 07:42 PM   #16
357 Python

When I became a Dept. of Defense Police Officer we had to do the same for our issued S&W 64s. Begining of shift get the gun out of the safe, load it. End of shift unload it and put it back in the safe. I have no idea how old those guns were but I had mine for about 5 years and there were no problems at all. The 686 is beefier than a 64 so it should not hurt it one bit.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:37 AM   #17
Hook686

Quote:
safe storage is an unloaded weapon in a safe / lockbox
Reminds me of the story of the medical mission to a third world country examining why condoms were not working. The investigators learned that some folks were reading the directions, 'Place on organ before intercourse', and not having an organ they were putting the condoms on their piano.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 21, 2013, 11:56 PM   #18
Crazy88Fingers

Naturally, that extra motion will add wear to the gun. But you'll be long gone before it ever becomes a problem.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:34 AM   #19
rc

Is there a reason you don't just store the gun in a holster that covers the trigger and put it in the safe while at work and take out out after work. I don't think opening and closing the gun a bazillian times is a good idea. It would be much better to keep a loaded speed loader and take both out at night and put them away in the day or get an auto with a magazine and do the same.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:14 AM   #20
fsfty

Storing unloaded in a safe is not mandatory, but it is recommended. Remember, NY is a may issue state, and can find any reason to withdraw your permit. With everything going on here, I don't want to give them any reason to pull my permit. Also, the permit is for home, not CCW...almost impossible to get an actual carry permit here (on Long Island, anyway)
Old February 22, 2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Rogervzv

When the gun is in the safe, there is no reason not to leave it loaded. Nothing unsafe about that as long as you follow the safety rules and no young people have access to the interior of the safe.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:06 AM   #22
Hook686

It is loaded at all times, whether, or not it has cartridges in the chambers, or not. It matters not that it is in, or out of the safe. The gun is always loaded.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:04 PM   #23
southjk

Quote:
It is loaded at all times, whether, or not it has cartridges in the chambers, or not. It matters not that it is in, or out of the safe. The gun is always loaded.
If you have to defend yourself I sure hope you tell the BG that as your "loaded" gun is clicking away.

I understand the theory behind that statement but we can all agree that it is false. A gun is not always loaded. I unload mine frequently to clean them and for dry fire practice. The goal with that statement is to treat all guns AS IF it is loaded. That is the key. I know I'll probably get flamed for the "as if" thing but I hate it when people say "no, don't treat it as if it's loaded, it is always loaded". We all know it's not a true statement. Treat your gun as if it is loaded.

OP, I understand not wanting to risk losing your right to own a gun completely. If you want to unload it every night I don't think you'll do any harm to your gun as long as you aren't flipping it open and closed.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:49 PM   #24
wooly booger

You won't hurt the gun at all by loading and unloading it as part of your daily routine. My question is, do you unload it and lock it away in your safe before you do your get up Pee or after?

What is the attraction of living in states like NY, NJ, CT, MA?
Montana and Wyoming just passed a law that you don't even need a permit to carry concealed anywhere. LOL...and amazingly they have to lowest rate of violent crime in the US