The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 5, 2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Tfarough

Building a Long Range Rifle

Hey everyone I'm looking at building a Long Range Rifle. Mostly for shooting around 300 yards but wouldn't mind if it could reach out farther. I'm on a lower budget of around $900 - $1500 Obviously lower in the range the better BUT I also understand sometimes you get what you pay for. I'm open for some ideas. Currently I'm looking at a Remington 700 or an AR-15 build. I've also looked a bit at Savage 10 BAS/110 BA. I'm also thinking a .308 caliber as I might do some deer hunting with it and it's not a caliber to hard to find. I'm hoping this price range can cover the gun, a good scope, and a new stock and or buttstock. I've recently found a Remington 700 SPS tactical .308 for $597 and a Remington 700 SPS VAR .308 for $571 both have synthetic stocks and heavy barrels. Again I'm open for ideas and suggestions on any and all aspects of the build. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:55 AM   #2
MB21

Well for starters, you can probably get a good bolt gun for cheap. I have a Ruger M77 that I got used for about $600 in 30-06. I would suggest that or a .308. If you are looking at the AR platform, then DPMS has some nice rifles, Windham Weaponry might have some good range rifles for a little more. Odds are, getting a long range AR will run you close to a thousand, but that is with little to no research.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:59 AM   #3
Metal god

If your looking for Precision then you would want a bolt action . ARs are cool but the light bullet moves around alot . I own a few and have shot them 300yds but I like shooting my bigger bolt guns at the longer ranges .

I don't want to be one of those guys that ask you more questions then I answer . However we are early in the conversation.

Will this be primarily a range/bench/plinking gun ?

When hunting do you plan to carry it all day on your shoulder .

I ask cus I would not want to be carrying a 9 or 10lbs heavy barreled rifle all day hiking around looking for something to shoot at But it is exactly what I would want to shoot off a bench or shooting prone with a bi-pod .

As for guns and calibers . The 308 works for me just fine at the ranges your talking about .

The 700 tac is very good and you really can't go wrong with a 700 .

Savage has a new Model: 10 Precision Carbine in 308 that looks pretty nice . It comes with the accu-stock so there should be no need to replace it . I also like the Model: 10 FCP-K it come with the accu-stock , heavy flutted threaded barrel and a muzzle brake .

Howa 1500 heavy barreled guns are nice for the money . They come with a nice hogue over molded stock that I really like the feel of .

Others will give you some more good ideas . There is alot of guns out there in your price range . you need to go get you hands on as many as you can and start weeding out the herd . Find what feels good to you , meets all your criteria and is in your price range .

What I'm looking to get for long range shooting 600+ yards is a 7mm Mag

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 5, 2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:16 AM   #4
alex0535

Been considering a similar build.

The Remington 700 makes a great platform to start, and you don't have to jump in all at once with it. Out of the box, they shoot pretty well as far as most are concerned.

I was considering building mine around a left handed .270 Winchester. Going to describe what I want to build. This build could be made much cheaper with less expensive stock and non fluted barrel, but this is a rifle I will have as long as I live if I ever end up building it.

Left Handed Remington 700 SPS -$550
Timney Trigger -$130
McMillan Tactical Stock -$650
Send action off to Krieger Barrels for truing $100
Fluted Krieger Barrel chambered and installed $700

Probably a little overkill. and honestly once a new trigger and stock are on the rifle I will probably be pretty happy with it as it is. Basically I want a left handed .270 for target shooting and hunting that is bench-rest accurate.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:58 AM   #5
alrekr

Long Range

I don't think one could go wrong with the 700 series Rem. for a distance shooter. My personal choice was the 700 5R (10th ann.) in .308 and found it to be a very good rifle. I have not spent additionnal money on trigger or action refinement but I do spend for good optics and rings. Leapold mark 4 ER/t 8.5-25x50 TMR with high quality Leapold rings. Before investing more in the rifle I would learn what you can accomplish with it by attending a good long range class where 300 yrds is a warm-up. I have spent time as a range officer in the Marine Corp and can honestly say that most rifles can out shoot the person holding them. I am in no way implying that your rifle skills are not honed but I have never out shot my rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rifles 375.JPG (230.5 KB, 32 views)
Old November 5, 2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Tfarough

"Metal God - I don't want to be one of those guys that ask you more questions then I answer . However we are early in the conversation.

Will this be primarily a range/bench/plinking gun ?

When hunting do you plan to carry it all day on your shoulder .

I ask cus I would not want to be carrying a 9 or 10lbs heavy barreled rifle all day hiking around looking for something to shoot at But it is exactly what I would want to shoot off a bench or shooting prone with a bi-pod . "

I do plan to start hunting again soon so I probably will use this long range build to do so. Where I live I'll be hunting deer but I'm always in a stationary position so I wouldn't be to worried about weight. I also will be playing around with it at the range for fun and experience. The current range I go to has a bench setup and I could also go prone. Pretty new in this but I've been reading and learning a lot. I've always wanted to build a long range rifle but just now getting to where I can financially. After research I've been leaning toward the Remington 700 .308 and after reading some post I think it's the right choice. The one I'm leaning toward will have a heavy barrel. Now just to get some ideas and suggestions on add-ons: Scope, scope mount rings, bipod, stock, buttstock, trigger. Of course some guns don't need much to help the perform!
These are the 2 I've been looking at:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...actical_308win

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...tic_var_308_26

Tags
ar-15 , long range shooting , remington 700 , savage 10 , sniper