The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 13, 2012, 09:33 PM   #1
countryboy12v

mag reload issue

howdy yall. i carry a glock 30 and have just recently started carrying a second mag. that got me to thinkin, maybe i should practice reloads from out of battery and tac reloads. there lies my issue.
when i do a outta battery, because of the size of my hands, the empty mag will not fall outta the pistol. i have to pull it out.
my question is, do any of yall smart gun people have an idea to help? weighted mag bases? smaller hands? bigger gun? more practice?
any and all comments/suggestions/nags/groans/complants/smarta$$ remarks are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks,
Keith
Old September 13, 2012, 09:48 PM   #2
kraigwy

I don't shoot glocks, but when I choose a gun, I make sure the magazine falls out under its own weight when I push the button.

I have had some mags that wouldn't, I take a belt sander to them until they do. If I can't get them to fall, I toss them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 13, 2012, 09:56 PM   #3
jimbob86

IIRC, Europeans don't like their magazines falling/flying out of the gun when they hit the mag release...... that's an American thing.
Old September 13, 2012, 10:43 PM   #4
jglsprings

You are using the drop free mags (with metal liners inside)?

Commas save lives...
Old September 13, 2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Slopemeno

My training was to use the heel of the fresh mag onto the toe of the empty mag from the mag well. It looks like a down-up motion; down to strip, up to insert the fresh mag.
Old September 13, 2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Nanuk

Its a Glock thing. Try some armor all on the mag body if it bothers you. I just pull em out.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old September 14, 2012, 01:33 AM   #7
Brit

The original Glock 17, had magazines that specifically were not intended to drop free.

The reason being, if you hit the mag; catch, in error, you would not loose your magazine. Remember they were a mil spec design.

Flash forward, America! Need quick reloads (But I have seventeen rounds, why do I need a quick reload?) The armourall is a good suggestion.
Old September 14, 2012, 01:41 AM   #8
TheSILENTtype

'Tire Wet' by BlackMagic in the long lasting extreme shine variation available at most every place with a vehicle section ; is so slick it is reccomended to not come in contact with the face of a tire, as it may cause sliding.

It will not transfer to your hands or your gun once it has 'dried' but you want to be good and SURE you give it the time it needs to do so, otherwise you are in for one chrome like shiny---everything.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:25 AM   #9
countryboy12v

Thanks y'all for the input. The mag will fall if my hand ain't in the way. So its not a firearm problem, it's more a me problem I guess.
Does anyone know of weighted glock mags? Mag bases?
Keith
Old September 14, 2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Stressfire

Put your hands on a diet

Is it feasible/possible to just adjust your grip when reloading to allow for the mag to drop free?
Old September 14, 2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Sport45

Quote:
The mag will fall if my hand ain't in the way.
Get your hand out of the way when you hit the mag release.

If your hand is in the way no magazine modification I can think of will help short of some type of pyrotechnic.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:23 AM   #12
countryboy12v

Thanks for pointers. I'll get back on the range and do some more practicing and make it work.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:31 AM   #13
zombietactics

A possible point of clarification: You seem to be using "outta battery" in a way that indicates you may not know what it means. Do you really mean "slidelock" or "out of ammo"?

"Out-of-battery" generally means a condition where a round is at least partially fed/chambered, but the slide (or bolt in the case of a rifle) is not fully seated. This condition does not usually require a reload to fix, rather just a simple tap on the back of the slide to send it completely forward into battery.
Old September 14, 2012, 04:13 PM   #14
TailGator

Quote:
I'll get back on the range and do some more practicing and make it work.
No reason you can't practice dropping a mag at home with empty mag and empty (triple checked) pistol.
Old September 15, 2012, 12:53 PM   #15
TheSILENTtype

hey dude,

this question really has me thinking ( as I also have boardering on stupidly large hands )

This morning, I was at the range and decided to swing home and do some
'defiling' or my dummy/training Sig.

I swapped out the mag release for on I made myself in a mold.

I made it at such a length and fashion, that it maintains two stages.
First - is a 3/4 release ( or full release in the case of your situation ) where the mag requires a real good shake or to be pulled out ) due to hands in the way.

Second, is a full release stage, where the slightest of palm adjustment will drop the clip like it weighs a few dozen pounds.

It works great, and despite my hands, on a tac reload , my palm liftup just enough on full release ( second level ) to completely clear the spent mag like no ones business.

If this is something that you think you would be interested in, I will put up a video of the functionality of the product, and give you a HOW TO, that can easily be done at home.

I am heading into work an hour early to have some other guys do a tryed and true testing of my creation. See if we can't get a bearing on just how durable this is.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:13 PM   #16
countryboy12v

Zombie-yes by outta battery I mean, empty magazine, slide locked to rear. Yes I know outta battery means as you described.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:35 PM   #17
9mm

I always catch my magazine when I release it. In a self defense shooting, you are not going to care about breaking/damaging the magazine when it falls. Your gun is going to be taken by the police for a long time, possible rust on it from not cleaning/waiting on courts to use it as evidence. More than likely you will get a new gun.

Even if you don't who cares about $30 magazines? you buy another.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:55 PM   #18
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm
I always catch my magazine when I release it. In a self defense shooting, you are not going to care about breaking/damaging the magazine when it falls....
But if you always catch your magazine in practice, that's what you'll do it the balloon goes up.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 18, 2012, 08:40 AM   #19
Stressfire

Quote:
But if you always catch your magazine in practice, that's what you'll do it the balloon goes up.
Yup, I'll usually use a blanket to catch brass - provides enough cushion to break the fall and not the mag. Then again I shoot on grass, might need something with a bit more squish over harder surfaces
Old September 18, 2012, 03:54 PM   #20
jglsprings

I go through a lot of magazines. Dropping them and stepping on them as I move away. Cost of doing business, IMHO.

Commas save lives...
Old September 18, 2012, 09:59 PM   #21
wayneinFL

I've never broken a Glock mag by dropping it or stepping on it. I've done it thousands of times. Even so they're pretty cheap. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old September 21, 2012, 02:58 PM   #22
countryboy12v

After much practice with different styles/ideas I got it figured out. I used my weak hand to turn pistol and it allows mag to fall free.
Thanks for all input y'all.
Keith
Old September 21, 2012, 03:01 PM   #23
jimbob86

Please tell me you were not shooting the thing turned sideways......
Old September 21, 2012, 07:20 PM   #24
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy12v
After much practice with different styles/ideas I got it figured out. I used my weak hand to turn pistol and it allows mag to fall free....
Sounds like you're on your way to developing some very bad habits. In doing a speed reload, you should not be using your weak hand for anything but getting the new magazine, inserting it and racking the slide to slingshot it into battery from slide lock (preferred) or hit the slide stop to drop the slide.

To see some well executed speed reloads see this video and this video.

If someone has trouble reaching the magazine release, one can learn to shift the gun slightly as shown in this video.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 30, 2012, 06:27 PM   #25
countryboy12v

I will post a video showin how I do it.
Keith.