The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 25, 2006, 11:27 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

Question for hogs-with-dogs hunters

I'm still looking ahead a few years, to raising from pup, a good all-purpose hunting dog (& companion, of course), or possibly even 2 dogs at the same time. I had narrowed it down to Weimareiner or Visla (or possibly a GSP). But I think the main focus of my hunting (with dogs, anyway) is going to be going after wild/feral hogs, as I'm interested in that (never hunted hogs with dogs, but sounds like fun). So which of these two would be a better choice for pursuing and keeping at bay hogs, and why? For example, is one more nimble/agile than the other, and/or have a more healthy natural respect/fear for its prey, which combinations would help them in the survivability department, in encounters with aggressive hogs with tusks? Or would the added size of the Weims be more conducive to holding the hogs at bay, and intimidating them? Etc., etc.... Thanks! P.S. Assume I can get Weims or Vislas of the best possible breeding, for the comparison, as I definitely will be doing that!
Old July 25, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Scorch

Hog-hunting dogs need to be aggressive, quick, and smart. While I love Weimaraners and Viszlas as bird dogs, I'm not sure of their tenacity and aggression against pigs. I hunted hogs extensively when I lived in California, and most of the pig-dog people there had pit bulls (usually from the pound), redbone or bluetick hounds (great for running the pigs and baying them up), Catahoula Leopards (a dog bred specifically to hunt pigs, I'm told) or Mountain Curs (Old World breed known for hunting dangerous game). Weimaraners are great trailing dogs for larger game, and could probably do the job, but I have never heard of anyone using them for pigs.

A pig can really tear up a dog in a hurry. If they don't get them with their tusks, they get them with their feet. Even a small pig can gut a dog pretty quick with its mouth, and a kick can cave in a dog's ribs.
Old July 25, 2006, 11:56 AM   #3
leadbutt

DO a search on several different sites and the above post I think you'll find to be spot on,,, there is a breed that was designed from the start for this type of hunting and its the DOGO from south america,,, you can find a few breeders down Texas way,, your going to need a pack any way, you never want to sent just one dog after a pig
Old July 25, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
R.D.Wheeler

Its going to be whichever dog you like the best. I have seen Russian boar run with Catahoula Curs (which I have), Plotts, and even a pack of Jack Russells( hog came by and 4 of those little guys were hanging on like Christmas ornaments). A bulldog was used to catch and hold. Whichever dog you decide on, you can get wide kevlar collars that covers most of the neck and a kevlar vest fitted for the dog. I also recommend getting a first aid kit for the dog which contains a needle and thread, antiseptic, etc. Have fun.
These are my two boys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jigsaw1.jpg (56.3 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg roostercogburn.jpg (32.7 KB, 354 views)

Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?
Old July 25, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Pointer

Pig dogs will surround the hog and take turns harassing and distracting it...

They must be big dogs 50 pounds or more...

They should wear heavy leather vests to help protect them from tusking...

It is not uncommon to lose a dog on a pig hunt... to tusking... don't get too attached to 'em...

Large hounds and Staffordshire Terriers (This is the British Breed of the American Pit-bull.) and Pit-bulls are among the best...

Too many dogs in the pack and they will get in each others way...

Too few, and the pig will run off between them... 4 or 5 is about right.

30-06 FOREVER
Old July 25, 2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Clayfish

I've always heard the best hog-dogs come from the pound. I just couldn't bring myself to send a bird dog to wrestle a hog. I'd get a pitbull or similar.
Old July 25, 2006, 01:02 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Hmm, ok, well nix that idea, lol. This is just not gonna jive with my plans for a couple of reasons.... mainly that I don't want to maintain a whole pack - I want 2 at most trained for hunting. Secondly, my breed choice, as explained above, is not at all the best for hogging (we used to have a different meaning for that term, but I digress...), and I'm pretty attached to my breed choice. And finally, yowsa, sounds like injuries & death are more common than I had realized - the "don't get too attached" comment - well that's just not possible when it comes to me & dogs. Even with Kevlar vests and collar, a first aid kit, prompt attention, etc., a hog could still kill a healthy dog?!? Thanks for the help though. I just can't see myself getting a bunch of pound dogs and caring for them, just for hunting. Guess I'd better find some friends with hog dogs, and get my Weim for birds & blood-trailing.

Quote:
Jack Russells (hog came by and 4 of those little guys were hanging on like Christmas ornaments).

Nice hounds, R.D.
Old July 25, 2006, 01:21 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

BTW, here are some cool photo albums of dogo argentinos hunting hogs:

http://www.huntingdogos.com/hunting_scenes.htm
Old July 25, 2006, 03:19 PM   #9
Pointer

Quote:
I've always heard the best hog-dogs come from the pound.
Quote:
injuries & death are more common than I had realized - the "don't get too attached" comment -
This is why pound dogs are "better"...

"Thar cheap 'n they was prolly gonna be put down any ol' how...

:barf:

30-06 FOREVER
Old July 25, 2006, 06:25 PM   #10
jonutarr

heres some good info for ya

http://boardogs.com/Boardogs_Breed_Information.htm
Old July 25, 2006, 07:03 PM   #11
kymasabe

Here in southwest Florida, the hog hunters use pitbulls. They also go collarless because if a tusk catches a collar, the hog can break the dogs neck. Most of the hardcore hog hunters I talk to say the same thing, don't get attached to the dog, expect the dog to get killed in the hunt, or at least seriously hurt. Maybe not every time but plan for it. They too use pound dogs, cheap, expendable, and if the dog is too hurt, they put them down in the brush and leave them. One local guy I spoke to said the best hog dog he ever had was a beagle, was too low and too fast for the hog to catch. The dog would run around behind the hog and bite/hang from the hogs b@lls. Said you didn't have to listend for the baying of the dogs, you could hear the hog screaming in the woods instead.

Me, personally...I can't treat a dog like that. I have a 12 year old English Springer Spaniel that I've had since she was 8 weeks old, she's well cared for, (some would say spoiled) and is part of the family. She's been bird hunting with me a bunch of times, is a great companion, and loyal protector of the home. I could never send a dog to the hogs.
Old July 25, 2006, 07:17 PM   #12
jhgreasemonkey

I'd be worried about someone shooting my dog or the hog eating him.
Old July 25, 2006, 10:39 PM   #13
Bigfatts

One of my acquaintances lost 2 dogs last season to hogs. One was killed outright by the hog, the other had to be put down. He uses a mix of hounds to bay the hog and usually either Pitbulls or Bulldogs to hold 'em. Whatever he can get.
Old July 26, 2006, 10:33 AM   #14
Harley Quinn

True "hog dogs" are scarce

They are really just giving chase bitting at the heels and trying to get the hunters attention for them.

If you are talking about catch dogs that is a different animal all together.

They are a special breed also. Some are vets and have been in alot of action some never get out of the starting gate. Risky business being a "Hog dog".

Some of the best are smaller than you would think, have terrier in them and are tough as can be expected of them, against any kind of beast weather a hog or a badger. Cuts scratch's and death are just part of the hunt.

I will search the posts/threads and come up with one that will amaze you if I can find it.

Try this one out:http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=193623

HQ
Old July 26, 2006, 04:21 PM   #15
Wild Bill Bucks

There are some guys over in the Scipio area, west of McAlester, that hunt with dogs. Only went with them one time. They were mostly pit bulls and, what looked like blue tick hounds, to me. We started out with 8 dogs, caught one 300 lb Boar, and came back with 5 dogs,2 of which had to have their intrails shoved back inside them and stitched up at the pick-up.

Owner said it was a good night.

It was a wild thing to watch, but a little to gruesome for me.

I'll just have to shoot mine from a tree stand.
Old July 27, 2006, 09:41 AM   #16
Harley Quinn

I was reading about the Celts

Use to run around nude and paint themselve's up and hunt and go to war with nothing but a spear and sword, had some pretty good looking shields.

I believe if you were hunting those boars like that with a spear and shield you might stand a good chance.

I believe dogs bring out the anger and fear (just trying to live) out in the boar and make them much more dangerous.

If you were just stalking them and suddenly attacked with your spear and shield and in the nude they would probably run.

Maybe I will wear a cup.

HQ
Old July 27, 2006, 12:50 PM   #17
H&H,hunter

I haven't posted on this sight for quite some time for personal reasons. But I can't let this one go.

DO NOT use A BIRD DOG for HOG hunting! They will be killed PERIOD!

Hog dogs are a totally different beast than a bird dog. they have instincts that keep them alive while tangoing with a hog. Namely rapid speed and the ability to know when to let go and jump back while never loosing sight of the hog. A good hog dog is an instinctual fighter and must be fearless yet smart enough to know when to back off.

Bay dogs do not have to be very big but they have to be athletic and smart. catch dogs must be seriously tuned up fighting animals that will not let go no matter what like a pit bull, American bulldog, or a Dogo Argentina.

There are several ways to hunt hogs with dogs. One is to use only a bay dog or two. In this case the dog will flush the hogs out of thick cover and chase him until he bays one up usually with a series of quick nips to the hams or testicles. The dog will "hold" the hog in a general area until a hunter can arrive and kill it with a rifle pistol bow or even a spear or a knife if the situation is right. This is what I do with my hog dog. As well as blood tracking.

The other method is to use bay dogs and catch dogs. The bay dogs will do as described then the catch dogs will come in and physically hold the hog until somebody arrives with a knife and kills it. Catch dogs are the ones who usually get hurt or killed by the hogs. Bay dogs tend to live longer but make no mistake they get maimed and killed too.

As far as what dogs to use. Some of the best hog dogs on the planet are Jadgterriers, Catahoulas, Black mouthed curs, various hounds, hound crosses and of course the occasional pound mutt with all the right stuff. they all need to have speed toughness a good nose and ability to fight and move fast.

I like Jadgterriers because they are small fast and make great people dogs when they are not hunting. They weigh about 25lbs and move like featherweight boxers on crack. Hog dogs do not need to be big. I’d put three good Jadgterriers against any other breed on the planet even as catch dogs. They are bred specifically to hunt hogs. And they do it well as either bay dogs or catch dogs.

Jadgterrier

The only problem with the breed is that they can't be trusted when you are away.
Old July 27, 2006, 01:04 PM   #18
Harley Quinn

H&h

Good to see you posting. I really like the picture of your new amigo.
Boy are you taking a chance with that picture. Ha Ha

Pretty soon you'll be out in the woods on your own.

Hogs what hogs, I'll be here when you come back see how good you can do without me.

HQ
Old July 27, 2006, 02:22 PM   #19
FirstFreedom

Thank you H&H!!!

yeah, that's just not for me - not right now anyways. Thanks for the input.

I'd try hunting them naked with a shield & spear, cept I don't think I could find & catch them - that's why I need dogs! Kevlar jock strap, eh? Not a bad idea.
Old July 27, 2006, 03:34 PM   #20
H&H,hunter

Harley,

I'm not sure she knows about this picture....

I give the wife very strict instructions about not letting the hunting dogs on the bed. They have a kennel to sleep in! As you can see these instructions are carefully followed in my house.

This is photgraphic evidence that yes infact my viscious, well trained and strictly disciplined hunting dogs are in fact not only allowed on the bed but they left wirey terrier fur all over my pillow.

Here is a picture of another yet to be viscious hog hunting hound. Look at the snarl on his face it just screams "Blood bath.".

Old July 28, 2006, 12:21 AM   #21
Harley Quinn

Talk about cute

And to think what lurks in that little mind when he decides he is on the hunt.LOL What is amazing, it is in them from the getgo, boy talk about breeding something for a life time and they just love it.

Fear, hmmm what kind of 4 letter word is that

Nice pic's thanks for sharing, again.

HQ
Old July 28, 2006, 10:37 PM   #22
H&H,hunter

Harley,

Instinct with animals is amazing. I take these little guys at 8 weeks old and run a blood trail for say 50' to start with and end it at a raw piece of hog hide.

It never fails to bring joy to my heart when the little guys hit the blood scent and immediately start pulling into their harness trying to frantically run the trail. Then when they get to the hide they instantly attack it with vicious puppy snarls and latch on for dear life.

It is simply amazing to watch!
Old July 28, 2006, 10:44 PM   #23
Harley Quinn

Yes it is really something

Talk about instinct.

We (all animals have it more then others) just look at AE and you. LOL

HQ
Old July 29, 2006, 10:32 AM   #24
GregR

I first hunted over jagdterriers in Austria. It was amazing to see a pair of the ittle devils bay a 357 pound boar, then back off on command so I could shoot it. Once the pig was down, one went looking for more pigs, but the other would not leave until it was able to take an ear for a souvenir. I love those dogs.

I have a Jack Russell that is an excellent blood trailer, but he is not allowed to hunt hogs. Some heavy-handed discipline as a pup keeps him from chasing them, even if we come up on them in close cover. He will trail wounded hogs, although he is very reluctant to do so and will not get closer than 6 or 8 feet to it when he finds it. I did that on purpose - I could care less if he doesn't find a wounded pig. His job is to find my clients' wounded deer. But in addition to being a valuable dog, he is like another son to me, and I could not stand the idea of something happening to him, which it surely would one day if I let him chase hogs.

I do lots of hog hunting with dogs. In Texas, we use catahoulas to bay them, then send in the pit bulls. Once they catch them, we use a knife to dispatch the hog. It's a ton of fun, but it is hard on the dogs. I would not send any dog you are attached to after a hog.
Old July 30, 2006, 07:35 PM   #25
H&H,hunter

Quote:
I first hunted over jagdterriers in Austria. It was amazing to see a pair of the ittle devils bay a 357 pound boar, then back off on command so I could shoot it. Once the pig was down, one went looking for more pigs, but the other would not leave until it was able to take an ear for a souvenir. I love those dogs.
It is amazing to watch these little guys work isn't it....

I love to looks I get from people when they first set eyes on my hog dogs. They must think I'm kidding them, hunting hogs with a cuple of cute little puppies like that it couldn't be..