The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 4, 2009, 12:57 PM   #26
Rich Miranda

Hogdogs, you do realize that I'll have to report you for holding Homer Simpson hostage, don't you?

Oh, and BTW, I think you got the whole HD thing all wrapped up!
Old April 4, 2009, 01:29 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I want him arrested for stealing my comfy winter slipper!
What good is one slipper?
It was the bestest, fastest thing I could think of to avoid scratches (least important) or slipping and falling to the floor (more important) as that pistol is used for all sorts of tasks including being a good way to get my "QUIT YER YAPPIN'" order complied with when the yard full of dogs goes off. Snakes, rabbits, and other critters get it at times too. It often is chambered...
Brent
Old April 4, 2009, 01:33 PM   #28
21CFA

Keeping weapons safe without a safe

Of our 10 grandkids, 3 are service-men, 2 Navy 1 Marine. ALL of our grandkids know what guns are and what and why they do what they do. Our 11 and 8 yr-olds handle all of my guns, empty, and could pull a trigger, but can't rack any of mine. So that's how I keep them all. Most are in plain sight. Easy to reach day or night. The only hidden pieces we have are under the counters in Bath and Kitchen. Mounted on dowels of appropriate caliber size installed in easy reach and cocked and locked. The counters and cabinets all have kid-proof latches. Our master-bath is our "safe room." It's a go-to place for tornadoes also, and has its own survival tools, incl. CB, cell, and stainless steel reinforced door. The linen closet abuts a storage closet which is accessible from outside the house. We practice E&E through the access a few times a year. I've mounted a pump-12 gauge beside the front door also. Sort of a "cha-ching" piece which I don't use before darkness. We plan for the worst and pray for the best.
Old April 4, 2009, 02:03 PM   #29
Wuchak

The idea of moving it from one place to another each day is a really bad one. You WILL forget one day to put it away and open the door for tragedy. Have you ever had go back to restaurant to get your wife's purse? Have you left the house in a hurry and forgotten your wallet, your lunch, the cup of coffee on the counter? Relying on your memory to keep your children safe from guns is not a good idea. Picture your kid lying dead by your gun because you forgot to put it away and how you would live with yourself or explain why you were switching it from location to location to your wife, your extended family, and the DA. Keep it locked unless it's on your person. It's the only responsible way to have a handgun in a house with children.

Switching it from one location to another the question is WHEN you will forget to put it away, not IF.

As for needing it for defense the question is IF you will need it, not WHEN.

Secure the guns to avoid the most likely risk.
Old April 4, 2009, 04:25 PM   #30
Lee Lapin

I'd suggest on-body carry while you're at home and awake, and locked in an easy access lockbox when you are asleep or otherwise occupied. A toddler in the house mandates maximum security for the gun, and a pistol is the easiest to secure.

Mossberg's Loc-Box works well for shotguns without Sidesaddles. Installed behind a door, a curtain/drape or inside a closet, the device 'holds' the key when it is unlocked- the key can only be removed when it is locked. Put the key on your keyring with your car keys, unlock it when you're home and you won't leave home without locking it- you CAN'T, unless you leave your keys behind.

No matter how you do it, your gun needs to be safely secured out of the reach of your toddler at all times...

lpl
Old April 4, 2009, 04:29 PM   #31
TridentOne

Holster as much as you can. That is absolutely the safest form of carry. That being said it is the most uncomfortable way to have a gun available. If you are not comfortable sitting, standing, walking, rising, driving with it, you won't carry it and have more to worry about where it is or was.

For the night time, my advice is that if you have kids, keep your guns locked up and get dogs that will alert you to the doings'-a-transpirin' and/or protect you long enough to get your gun when it is not on your hip.
Old April 4, 2009, 08:26 PM   #32
Rifleman 173

On MY right hip where it belongs except when I'm in bed. Then I have it up high in a closet where I can get to it in a hurry when needed. That way when I bail out of bed I have to take 2 steps, open a door and then move to engage the target. So by the time I get ready to shoot, I'll be wide awake.
Old April 5, 2009, 12:28 AM   #33
autopilotmp

I think i've got it figured out now. I just reviewed the first episode of "the best defense" and he showed a 12" x 12" board with a mag holder, flashlight holder and serpa holster attached to it. With this rig you could mount it anywhere, in my case shoulder level in the closet in the bedroom. This setup makes it easily accessible to my wife and I, as well as keeping it out of reach of the little one. No need to move it daily thus eliminating the "oh s#@T" when something happens as well as the horrible thought of my girl getting ahold of it. Also something to mention if you guys didn't catch that episode, an old cell phone that you've replaced will still dial 911 put it on a charger by the bed and leave it.

Again Thank you to all who contributed, hope this helps others with questions as well.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:12 AM   #34
Wuchak

OK, not to be a jerk Autopilotmp but, WHAT PART OF KEEP IT LOCKED UP WITH CHILDREN IN THE HOUSE are you not understanding? Mounting it on a board in the closet is not locking it up. You need some kind of locking container for your gun if you have a child in the house, PERIOD! Doing anything else is irresponsible and setting the stage for tragedy.

Last edited by Wuchak; April 5, 2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:16 AM   #35
trigger happy

a pistolgrip shotgun above the inside of my closet door, my carry gun in my holster either on me or in reach
Old April 5, 2009, 09:17 AM   #36
scottaschultz

Quote:
This setup makes it easily accessible to my wife and I, as well as keeping it out of reach of the little one.
For some people, children must be like Doritos... "We'll make more!"

Scott
Old April 5, 2009, 09:19 AM   #37
trigger happy

I have 3 little future gun owners running around my house
Old April 5, 2009, 09:37 AM   #38
m&p9newbie4sure

gun magnet

i have one of these http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...l.aspx?p=22821
by the way my children are old
Old April 5, 2009, 09:42 AM   #39
skydiver3346

Where do I keep my SD guns?

Well for me, its pretty easy as my kids are grown and have moved on, (so don't have that worry about guns in the home anymore).
I keep my Wilson Combat CQB .45 auto on "top" my nightstand, (not in the drawer) so I can retrieve it with the quickest response time and not have to fumble around in the drawer, etc looking for it in an emergency. Next to the nightstand is a Remington 870 with #1 buckshot as backup. On the other side of our bed, my wife has her S&W model 60 fully loaded and ready to bark. So we are pretty well protected at nightime. Also, have a S&W model 36 with Federal +Ps lying under a TV mag on my recliner stand in our living room in case of a problem during the day or evening in the event someone breaks in and we don't have time to get to the bedroom, etc.
Pays to be prepared nowadays. Even though we live in a pretty good neighborhood, you just never know what can happen to any of us, (day or night).
Old April 5, 2009, 09:45 AM   #40
Dragon55

My 84 year old next door neighbor lady...

sleeps with a S&W 38 under her pillow and has another at the front door on a shelf as she answers the front door..... her left hand is on the grip as her right hand turns the knob.
Old April 5, 2009, 10:09 AM   #41
troy_mclure

in which room?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 5, 2009, 10:15 AM   #42
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I was raised with loaded guns in the home at all times... My kids were too... Right before a very swift slap to the back of the hand they hear "MINE DON'T TOUCH... BAD" same as I got as a toddler... When unable to supervise during the preliminary training they would get locked away. I worried more about Junior playing with my tape measure and feeler gauges (he thought it was pocket knife and destroyed them) than fear him or his little cohorts in crime messing with my guns.
Brent
Old April 5, 2009, 12:52 PM   #43
Stevie-Ray

On the nightstand right next to me. Fairly light sleepers, both. No kids. Cats make a great early warning device.

Quote:
I use a Secure-It Key-Operated Handgun Storage Safe in my cars and for under my bed. Cost: $29.95 each
I use those in my trucks. They're great, nice and flat, and go under seats perfectly.
Old April 5, 2009, 06:50 PM   #44
armsmaster270

When mine is not on my belt it's on my nightstand and vica versa. The dog will wake me before anybody even gets on the property, let alone in the house.
Old April 5, 2009, 07:28 PM   #45
jpoolsmyd2

Quote:
Children in house = gun are ALWAYS either in a locked container or a holster on the hip, no exceptions.
Yep. Get a Gun Vault. Can be accessed in seconds. Keep the rifles locked up in a safe.
Old April 5, 2009, 07:38 PM   #46
Nnobby45

Quote:
Looking for ideas on this, Best Defense says to avoid the nightstand, sock drawer is too far away, under the matress is to difficult while in the bed. Where are you guys keeping your HD guns. Was thinking of mounting a holster to the back of my nightstand. Out of sight in case of daytime (while at work) intruders, 2yr old can't get to it. Looking for a solution to the current in the gun-safe issue i have.
If Best Defense is so d#%@% smart, where DO they recommend you keep it.

A firearms instructor I know, of international fame, keeps his on the floor so he can roll out of bed and be behind cover.

The gun I carry goes on the night stand, within immediate reach, and a P226 is in an Uncle Mikes holster affixed to the back of a dresser drawer right next to my electronic hearing and an 870. I don't have kids in the house, so that may not work for everyone. Keeping your CCW/HD gun near you at night might be a better idea.

Some feel that, when you're up, having a gun in any direction you have to run to, in the event of a home invasion, is a wise idea. Wouldn't be good to have Bubba between you and a gun. Of course, having the gun on you solves that problem.
Old April 5, 2009, 07:52 PM   #47
dabigguns357

I have 2 kids in my house and i keep all but 1 in lock up.I keep one on me at all times.That way i don't have to run for the gun room.
Old April 5, 2009, 08:23 PM   #48
scuba200ft

Glock 17 with NS and TLR-2. 2 extra mags. Right next to the bed in a drawer.

Anyone with little children who dont have their gun/guns completely locked up is out of their minds.....

Old April 5, 2009, 08:36 PM   #49
jpoolsmyd2

Quote:
most carry states have exemptions for private property owners to disallow carry while on their property.
Yeah, even if your kids are educated and know to never touch one without your supervision, what about their friends? That's what worries me. All of ours are always always either a.)on me/my wife b.) locked up
Old April 5, 2009, 08:41 PM   #50
autopilotmp

Thank you all for your constructive criticism.

was looking at different small pistol vaults today, for between the bed and nightstand that does seem to be the most viable solution that can be used even after my little one grows enough to access a gun no matter where i put it outside of a safe.

Last edited by autopilotmp; April 5, 2009 at 09:16 PM.