The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Get description of BG's and vehicle, retreat and call police. 25 53.19%
Run ready, challenge BG's verbally from safety of resturant doors and hope it's enough. 7 14.89%
Charge the scene maintaining cover, and make your best attempt to stop them by any means necessary. 15 31.91%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 28, 2008, 02:56 PM   #26
revance

IC 35-41-3-2
Use of force to protect person or property
Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against
another person to protect the person or a third person from what the
person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force.
However, a person:
(1) is justified in using deadly force; and
(2) does not have a duty to retreat;
if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to
prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the
commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be
placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the
person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

Here in Indiana if you see a woman tied to a tree with her clothes taken off screaming for help, it is reasonable to believe the man is using unlawful force. It is also reasonable to believe that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to a third person and to stop the commission of a forcible felony. That last highlighted part is important... it means not only can they not file criminal charges against you, you are protected from civil suits too.
Old January 29, 2008, 05:48 PM   #27
Th0r

Well if it was definitely a kidnapping I would call the police and then make an attempt to stop the kidnappers. It depends on the situation aswell, the time, the place etceteras. If it was in a place and I had a gun on me and the place was crowded full of inoncent people going about their lives it would have to be exceptional like a family member. If I pull my gun and they pull their guns there is a good chance that anywhere between 1-5 people could die or be seriously injured.

Is that a risk I want to take?
No.

If it was on a road and there weren't many people about, within close proximity of the kidnappers I would certainly make an attempt to stop them.

Once again I think its another topic that boils down to whether you're in the right place at the right time or the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old January 29, 2008, 06:07 PM   #28
Playboypenguin

Quote:
If it was on a road and there weren't many people about, within close proximity of the kidnappers I would certainly make an attempt to stop them.
I assume by "attempt to stop them" you mean that you would give them a sound beating with trusty Mjolnir.
Old January 30, 2008, 01:06 PM   #29
Th0r

Quote:
I assume by "attempt to stop them" you mean that you would give them a sound beating with trusty Mjolnir.
Very good Mr. Penguin
"Attempting to stop them" would have to be the most appropriate action to stop them.