The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old December 26, 2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Hairbag

Cheaper than dirt AMMO

I ordered 500rds of 7.62x39 brown bear ammo on Christmas day from CTD for 159.00 I see today they cancelled my order and raised the price to 189.00 for 500rds. I mean really not a good way to do business. I've been buying ammo from them forever NOT anymore.
Old December 26, 2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Dr Big Bird PhD

Did you at least get your money back?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 27, 2012, 06:39 AM   #3
tAKticool

Borderline criminal right there...Redonkulous.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:31 AM   #4
RamItOne

They have the right. It's just crappy business practice.

I'm worried now that I saw this thread, I ordered 5 pmag 30rnd w/window on the 18th. They said it would be on backorder till jan 1, I'm fine with that, they were 15.99 each (reasonable). I'm now just waiting for the cancelation notice like the OP got.

It's one thing if CTD realized they weren't getting any of the OPs ammo for months and did not want to keep a hold on his credit card. But obviously they have the ammo since they're offering it at a premium.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old December 27, 2012, 11:45 AM   #5
chiefr

I would have called them on the phone. You are not the only one this has happened to when dealing with CTD. I had the same problem a few years back when I phoned in an order in which their new catalog said the cost was $1X. When I called, it was $1.5X.
Unfortunately, with all the buying frenzy & hysteria after a recent event, you can only expect more of the same from certain retailers. When the frenzy abates, I would avoid future businesses with retailers like this.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Jkady

Short answer would be to stop dealing with CTD, they're price gouging cowards who turn their back on their customers under media pressure.
Old December 27, 2012, 05:38 PM   #7
jasmith85

That is a pretty horrible thing for them to do. I am fine with people raising prices if other people are willing to pay it but if the order has already been placed that, at least to me, should be illegal.
Old December 27, 2012, 06:51 PM   #8
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Remember these are also the ones that, on the Friday of the shooting, jack Gen 2 Pmag prices to $49.99 or $59.99(can't remember) but then dropped them to $29.99 until they sold out.....
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 27, 2012, 07:13 PM   #9
22-rimfire

Once the price is set, it's set. That's retail. You don't go to the cash register and find out the price is higher and be happy about it. This happens all the time at the one Kmart I visit. They're closed now. Guess it is mostly Walmart Walmart Walmart for me now.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:43 PM   #10
m.p.driver

If you have a printable invoice at the original set price, I'd inform them that it's either deliver or face a lawsuit,or at the least a BBB complaint.If they run out of an item,or discontinued then i could see the cancellation.I quit doing business with them years ago because of their unsavory practices.
Old December 28, 2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Thread moved over to Retail Deals and Feedback:

From this point on, BE SURE TO READ/COMPLY WITH THE GUN SHOW FORUM/FEEDBACK RULES. NO OTHER WARNING SHALL BE GIVEN.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 29, 2012, 04:25 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

I personally ran into a similar situation with CTD over S&W 59 mags by Mec Gar. Ordered 'em, got the CC charged, then got an email saying they were out of stock. I could have sworn that I saw the mags going for $36 a piece AFTER I placed the order for the mags at $22 a piece! Sure, I got my CC credited, but it really left a bad taste...

I have a real hard time believing CTD 'cause these are the same guys charging $50 for Ruger BX-25 mags when they were $23 a week before. Now it says they are out of stock and the OLD price of $23 is listed again!
Old December 30, 2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Hairbag

My wife wants to call the BBB I think if they get enough complaints they will stop this pratice. Greedy just greedy. I'm done with them. No they have not return my emails and I will TRY and call them tomorrow. I have to say Wideners are a straight up company. I ordered a crate of 5.45x39 ammo (which took a week- understandable)to ship.The ammo value went up alot before they even shipped it and could have raised the price i guess. By the time that ammo got to my house it has doubled in price.
Old December 30, 2012, 01:46 PM   #14
Ricklin

Lousy Retailer

I too have stopped doing business with CTD. There are plenty of retailers both online and brick and mortar who do their best to honor their published prices.

On another retail vein I bought a new TV at Walmart, the sign on the wall had a too good to be true price. I asked a clerk about it. Yup she said, that's the price.
When I arrived at checkout the item rang up for 50 dollars more than the sign in the back of the store. (It was still a killer price anyway)

The manager and I walked back to the sign at the back of the store, I showed it to him, and explained that I had also asked a clerk about the price. He balked and said the price is 398, not 348. I said no thanks.

He then stated that they would sell it to me at the price on the sign, and they did.

Kudos to Walmart, even tho I mostly avoid shopping there. I just could not justify spending hundreds more elsewhere. 348 bucks for a 40" LCD smart TV is an unreal price. Merry Christmas to me!
Old December 30, 2012, 04:58 PM   #15
Hairbag

I have to put another plug in for SG ammo they are a family run business. I ordered 1000rds of 7.62x39 of tula crap over Christmas and I though the purchase did not go through and my CC was not charged so i figured oh,well. I just got a email that it's on the way! SG ammo prices are always cheaper than CTD and fast shipping. They could have been greedy but they were not. Tula is going for alot more than I paid on GB right now. Thats a great deal on a TV BTW lol and to think what we paid for our LCD and Plasma when they first came out Thousands!
Old January 19, 2013, 12:13 AM   #16
skeeter

They can do whatever they want and so can I. I will never buy from them again when things cool off.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:01 AM   #17
38superhero

I can't connect to their site anymore, says "The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred." Not that i would buy ammo at this point.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:34 PM   #18
mlw270win

There are just to many honest reputable dealers on line to do business with. They could shut the doors as far as I am concerned. I quit doing business with them years ago.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:23 PM   #19
rrawhide

CTD & Dicks

No longer supporting either one of them. Their ethics and business practices suck. Have spent a lot of money with them - not another dime.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:50 PM   #20
JWT

Chaper Than Dirt ain't. (cheaper than dirt).

I think I used them once. Never again.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:00 PM   #21
dajowi

During the "last" shortage I looked at the prices CTD was charging for 100 round boxes of Mini-Mag .22 ammo. Like the guy up the street at the LGS it went from a little over $2.00 a box to over $10.

I didn't buy it then, I'm not buying it now.