The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 3, 2012, 09:32 PM   #1
sig220mwxxxx

California compliant

I read a review on the S&W M&P 15 Sport and read that there was also a California compliant version. What does California require from this type of weapon for compliance?
Old December 3, 2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Metal god

As far as the law is now it means it has a bullet button . There are some older California compliant version out there that are from the first AWB before the bullet button . They have a fixed/pinned stock no flash hider just a smooth crowned barrel and some other stuff I don,t remember .

I live in CA and both of these are California compliant. The dark earth one I bought from the LGS the other I built

If its a new production rfle it will be just like all the others exept it will have a bullet button http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...9_757784_image

I can't seem to find any photos of what the older ones looked like , sorry

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:00 AM   #3
saands

Just to be perfectly clear for the OP ... there is a great flow chart on either CalGuns or the CRPA site. But at a minimum, if you go with a bullet-button, you MUST NEVER put a magazine in that build that has more than a 10 round capacity ... that pops it right back into the AW category. Please read up on the law so that you can eloquently educate people (e.g. LEOs) that ask you about your new purchase.

Normally I sign off with a Stay safe ... but in this case I will go with "Stay out of trouble!!"

Saands
Old December 4, 2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Dr Big Bird PhD

-Bullet Button
-No Flash Hider (only muzzle brakes and compensator)
-10 round mags or smaller
-No incendiary bullets. Dunno if hollow points are legal, but staying with FMJs will be savvy.

You can only have an adjustable stock WITH a bullet button. I got mine with an ACE fixed just to be safe (and it looks sexy).

edit: Chart here - http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart_front.png

The bottom right hand corner isn't ENTIRELY true. You can never have a grenade/flare launcher. As for the flash hider, maybe you can have one with a bullet button. not sure
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor

Last edited by Dr Big Bird PhD; December 4, 2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Metal god

Quote:
As for the flash hider, maybe you can have one with a bullet button. not sure
I have the standard A2 flash hider on both of mine pictured . The tan one I bought from a LGS in San diego this year . If you have the bullet button you can have alot of the cool stuff . I have noticed that LA county has other restictions but I don't know what they are

To the OP : it looks like your in Texas . If so you can just replace the bullet button . There are fixed with some type of thread lock so you may need a gun smith to replace it .

This is what the end of the barrels looked like before the bullet button . You don't want one like this . If you see one don't pay top dollar for it .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 4, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:08 AM   #6
Dr Big Bird PhD

The LA county laws have more to do with periods of purchasing, locations, and caliber.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 4, 2012, 12:13 PM   #7
saands

Quote:
-Bullet Button
-No Flash Hider (only muzzle brakes and compensator)
-10 round mags or smaller
-No incendiary bullets. Dunno if hollow points are legal, but staying with FMJs will be savvy.
As far as the state is concerned, if you have a bullet button installed, a flash-hider or brake is a non-issue and there are no restrictions whatever on ammo that are specific to an AR platform. If the ammo is legal to shoot in any other rifle, then it is legal in the AR. The incendiary/trace bullet restriction applies to all ammunition in the state. Hollow points are perfectly OK in an AR ... there are not even any gray areas about it at the state level. Maybe there are some local restrictions ... I don't know.

Again, as far as the state is concerned, there are no restrictions on "features" for an AR built with a bullet button (grenade launchers are prohibited by a completely different set of statutes, but those are not available for the AR anyway). CA has a more restrictive minimum length than BATFE, but I don't think that I've ever seen the parts that could make an AR go below that length without being an SBR by BATFE rules anyway.

Saands