The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 5, 2012, 02:13 PM   #26
FlySubCompact

Nanuk said:
Quote:
send it to Glock with $40 for a new frame.
Is that all Glock charges for a frame replacement? Do you get your original serial number back? Also, do you have to ship via a local FFL for any kind of repair?

I have no real interest in stippling (though some of you do nice looking work), but there is one modification I am considering. Saw this guy on Youtube who shortened a compact size Glock grip to subcompact size. His, he called a "Glock 26L". You end up with a longer-slided subcompact.

Would be nice to know what total replacement cost will be if I decide to do this to my G23 and I don't like it. Thanks.
Old November 5, 2012, 03:29 PM   #27
Dragline45

To be honest I don't think it came out well, it looks like you heated up a paper clip and just punched holes. If I were you I would buy the stick on grip tape and cover it all up.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:23 PM   #28
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45 View Post
To be honest I don't think it came out well, it looks like you heated up a paper clip and just punched holes. If I were you I would buy the stick on grip tape and cover it all up.
Done that before. On a duty belt. With rain and time. Over the waist band. It peels off like a band aid.

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - Walther PPQ - Glock 17 - Glock 34 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 & Getting myself back in LE soon enough..Miss it.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:35 PM   #29
Chaz88

I would have to shoot one before I ever did that to one of mine. But all my handguns prefer to dress up in Pachmayr, so it might never be a problem for me.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 6, 2012, 07:13 PM   #30
Nanuk

Quote:
Is that all Glock charges for a frame replacement? Do you get your original serial number back? Also, do you have to ship via a local FFL for any kind of repair?
That is what I was told by a Glock rep 2 years ago. You will get another SN. I would ship via FFL to be safe.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 6, 2012, 09:09 PM   #31
Dragline45

Quote:
Done that before. On a duty belt. With rain and time. Over the waist band. It peels off like a band aid.
Hmm that's surprising. I used to skateboard when I was a teenager and those things took much more abuse than a carry gun and the grip tape stayed fine. I would only replace it when it started to wear out. Maybe try another brand?
Old November 6, 2012, 09:42 PM   #32
AK103K

Skateboard tape doesnt last to long with heavy use. It works OK when new, but quickly looses its "freshness", and effectiveness. Its also limited in its coverage, and generally doesnt do well on the "curves".

The only place I do still use tape on my Glocks, is on top of the slide just forward of the rear sight.
Old November 6, 2012, 09:57 PM   #33
Yung.gunr

I think the difference with the skateboard tape is the material it is being stuck to. I stuck some deck tape to the clutch pedal on my car and it came off after a couple days. It's holding tight to a modification I did to the baby stroller. The stroller mod is made of wood. I have no technical knowledge to back that up, just what I have experienced.
I do however plan to put some deck tape on my XD as I don't have the guts to try my hand at stippling it.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:42 AM   #34
RsqVet

As others have noted may not be the best looking thing but if functional who cares. It is a glock afterall.

Also I think the job is salvageable if you care about looks. You need to randomize the pattern. A few diff sized heat sources and not
In rows... All over back and forth. That's what makes stippling look like stippling. That is what I found trying it on metal. I would imagine with heat on polymer it will leave a lot of thin edges around each dimple. You could leave these to wear away or buff them down.

Getting skate tape to stick..... First solvent prep the area. Then heat the tape. Apply and clamp. Leave for 2-3 hours.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:49 AM   #35
Edward429451

Quote:
stippling is forever.
Oh come on you guys. What's the harm in making a cheap gun more shootable? I'm not slamming the Glock as a gun, I'm sayin it's a 500 dollar gun, not a 3000 dollar custom job. So now it's worth 495., LOL. The increase in shootability is perhaps priceless.

I think it looks ok. So what if it's not perfect. It's more user friendly now. Good on ya for being open minded enough to make an improvement to it. Can you imagine how many fanboys are in their safe right now with tears in their eyes telling their Glocks oh baby I'd never do that to you?

Glocks don't belong under glass you guys. It's a good cheap hammer. That's all. He is not the guns caretaker, it is his tool. (Oh, go hug your Glock and put it on the top shelf where it doesn't belong, LOL)
Old November 7, 2012, 01:26 AM   #36
Nanuk

Quote:
Glocks don't belong under glass you guys. It's a good cheap hammer. That's all. He is not the guns caretaker, it is his tool.
DING,DING,DING..........We have a winner....
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 7, 2012, 06:48 AM   #37
AK103K

Quote:
I think the difference with the skateboard tape is the material it is being stuck to.
The problem with the grip tape isnst so much that it doesnt stick, as it is that it doesnt hold its aggressive texture very long.

I really never had any troubles getting the tape to stick when applied properly (except on some rounded edges), it was having to constantly replace it because it lost its "stickiness" due to the grit wearing away, and not being to always get it where I wanted it that got old.

As for looks (not that looks really have anything to do with functionality), a reasonably done stippling job generally looks way better than a bunch of tape slapped on in appropriate places, especially when its worn and ratty in different stages of wear.

Quote:
I would imagine with heat on polymer it will leave a lot of thin edges around each dimple.
Thats what tends to give that cat tongue/grip tape/sandpaper feel. The big difference is, it doesnt wear or rub away nearly as quickly as grip tape. It really doesnt wear away at all, but the "sharpness" does seem to soften a little over time and use. Its easily touched up though.
Old November 7, 2012, 06:53 AM   #38
thedudeabides

If it helps you grip better, that's great.

It looks terrible, but we all have to practice to get better. Stippling requires a level of meticulousness AND an attention to detail I can't simultaneously possess--and a good grip with finger grooves helps me hold a gun better than a rough surface.

If you're unhappy with how it looks, a new frame isn't that expensive, and you can use the old one to practice/perfect your stippling skills.
Old November 7, 2012, 07:12 AM   #39
djcantr

I stippled the grip on my Glock 35. I use it for USPSA and didn't care for the factory texture nor the finger grooves. I removed the finger grooves and smoothed the grip portion of the frame before stippling. I didn't go very aggressive with it. The texture is probably similar to grip tape but this won't ever slide around or peel off like grip tape will.

Old November 7, 2012, 07:16 AM   #40
AK103K

Nice job djcantr!
Old November 7, 2012, 07:24 AM   #41
Sport45

If I took a soldering iron to one, I'd probably run across the logo too. It still has the maker's name on the slide if anyone was interested.
Old November 7, 2012, 07:37 AM   #42
94bluerat

Shuler13, in post #11 of this tread.

Very nice, is that your work? I'd be interested in knowing what you did.

Does smith sell inserts alone for M&P?

Cheers!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout