The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 19, 2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Philthy

New VS Once-Fired Brass

Recently new to reloading. Proud new owner of a Dillon XL650, and started with 45 ACP & .357 magnum. Can someone please (in simple terms for now) explain the difference/advantage/disadvantage of reloading new versus once-fired brass? Is there a significant price difference? Which would most choose? For what it's worth, the club to which I belong will clean, polish, lubricate and resize for a really small fee.

Please & thanks, folks

Phil
Montréal, Québec
Old October 19, 2005, 02:43 PM   #2
ClarkEMyers

Just about impossible to reload new brass - smiley

The issues don't come up between new and once fired brass per se which in my own experience are substantially similar when I've loaded a lot of new brass fired it once and then reloaded it. Espcially in .45ACP where case length is seldom a factor. There are more differences as the brass ages.

I've seen substantial differences between a lot of new brass and a lot of so called once fired that included not just mixed lots but mixed headstamps and mixed ages and so mixed work hardening, mixed case length and in fact varies on just about any dimension. Even after trimming the lot of mixed brass will have cases that really would do better with different expander adjustments and crimp, show differences in bullet pull and so forth and so on. I've even been known to use different expanders with the same cartridge and load depending on brass thickness and spring back.

That said the price difference for bulk lots of brass guaranteed to be fired at least once but often more makes it my choice for much of my shooting. I can get quite distracted watching my primo brass fly and I'd rather not do that. Shooting enough to justify an XL650 (hope you got the case feeder?) means for me and for most people mostly cheaper brass - but not always. I will have some prime brass maybe bought as such or saved from factory loads (which I try to buy at least a case at a time to give me a single lot of brass)

What's your target and what's your aim (pun intended) - minute of beer can or minute of clay pigeon or minute of Texas Star is one thing. Draw and fire on the 7 yard line practicing presentation for IDPA or 50 yard slow fire at Camp Perry?
Old October 19, 2005, 04:48 PM   #3
Jeeper

A typical price difference for new vs once fired is 5-10 times as much for new. Some calibers are cheaper for once fired than others. If you bought a 650 then why pay someone else to clean your brass unless your are buying the once fired from them. If you dont have a tumbler then buy one. Unless you are shooting competitive bullseye then I dont see a reason to use new brass. Try places like brassmanbrass.com or HQ brass for prices for once fired.
Old October 24, 2005, 10:07 PM   #4
Ben Shepherd

Unless you are shooting bullseye competition, or building "specialty" low use loads, once fired is THE way to go.

Don't worry- once fired cases should have at least 10-15 more loads in thier lifespan.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor