The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 23, 2012, 09:03 PM   #1
45YearsShooting

Hornady 17 Hornet

I've been using the 17 HMR for many years on thousands of prairie dogs. I love the accuracy, low noise level and lack of recoil that allows me to see each hit through the scope.

I just saw an ad for the new 17 Hornady Hornet factory round. Anyone have a rifle chambered in this yet? I'd love to hear all about your experiences with it. I'm most concerned about accuracy. I've heard of issues getting 22 Hornets to shoot accurately. By "accurately", I'm talking about consistent 5-shot groups under 1-inch at 100 yards with no wind.

Does the fact that the Hornet case has a rim make it inherently (or typically) less accurate than a .222 or .223 cartridge? Is it harder to make accurate reloads with this case? ...Or... does none of this matter assuming you have an accurate bullet and barrel combination?

Is anyone else manufacturing factory rifles in this cartridge, other than the Savage Model 25? I was at Cabela's a couple days ago and saw they have the Hornady factory ammo in stock, in boxes of 25. If I bought a rifle chambered for this cartridge, I would plan to reload for it.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Mobuck

I don't think it's the rim itself that hampers accuracy since you can still adjust reloading dies to headspace the case on the shoulder rather than the rim. It's just an archaic case design from the blackpowder days that limits the potential accuracy for a couple of reasons.
I'm sure that the newer rifles designed to shoot the 17 Hornet have some tweeks that the turn of the century 22 Hornet missed originally.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:41 PM   #3
taylorce1

It is just the .17 Ackley Hornet made commercial. Get a hold of Magnum Wheel Man, he can probably tell you the most about it on this forum.

Last edited by taylorce1; September 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a 10" Contender barrel ( which limits accuracy... at least in my hands )... however I did take alot of Contenders last time I went p-dogging ( several years ago now ) & even a 10" Contender barrel is accurate enough with a good rest... ( though not as fun as the compensated AR with the 20X scope I used to have )

my 17 Hornet barrel is a factory custom 17 K Hornet... I've confirmed that the 17 Hornady Hornet will fit in my chambers ( they don't fit in my buddies 17 A.I.Hornet though ) so they are "different"... but I havent shot my gun yet with the factory 17's...

Hornets don't suffer any accuracy differences than the 17 HMR ( which is also rimmed ) or any bottlenecked cartridges... if you headspace on the rim with the Hornet, your cases won't last, if properly sized to headspace on the shoulder ( the 17 has a much more pronounced shoulder than the 22 ) case life is increased, & accuracy is very good... I honestly didn't shoot this round much, as a handload only proposition, as the 22 Hornet cases had to be sized to 17, then fire formed to the improved 17 chamber... the 17 Hornady Hornet makes my gun alot more shootable...

accuracy... in a good gun, I'd go as far as to say, you should be able to tune a 17 Hornet handload to be more accurate than the HMR cartridge

BTW... I like how Hornady at least spent a little money in marketing the Hornet round, & don't like how Remington dropped the ball on the 17 Fireball, but if I didn't have a Contender barrel for the 17 Hornet, I probably would have moved right into the 17 Fireball, which IMO, is a more balanced cartridge, & much easier to reload... you can read my 17 Fireball thread I posted today for more info there... but before the barrel is even broken in, I'm getting 3 shots in a 30 caliber hole... not too bad for me pulling the trigger...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:25 PM   #5
45YearsShooting

Thanks for the info, Magnum Wheel Man. I appreciate it. I'll wait on the 17 Hornet a bit. I just read that CZ is going to chamber a 455 rifle for the cartridge.
Old September 25, 2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

no problem... The CZ is a great platform for the Hornet with it's action sized about right... I have one in 22 Hornet, & it shoots very well... If CZ builds a rifle on the 17, Hornady may get the market share it's looking for by standardizing the cartridge... BTW... don't discount the Ruger rifle with it's rotary magazine... they build one for the 22 Hornet, so it would seem to be a natural to chamber in 17... when the Rugers 1st came out, they were not as accurate as the CZ's, but I also have a newer stainless / laminate Ruger, that shoots very well

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 25, 2012 at 05:49 AM.