The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 28, 2011, 09:01 AM   #51
Uncle Buck

Although the article referenced a difference shooting, if this is representative of the mindset of the PPD, it is one scary situation.
Old April 28, 2011, 11:23 AM   #52
Deerhunter

I haven't had a chance to read every reply...however..

If I was carrying one of my guns into the house and someone came running at me, I would run into the house if the gun was not loaded. I think one thing that can be agreed upon is that this police officer was off duty, I am guessing and maybe I missed it but was no in uniform. So if I run into my house and he follows me in I am thinking as I believe a lot of people would that this is some nut wanting to rob me. Who knows if the guy with the unloaded pistol knew the off duty cop had a gun. Maybe the best thing he could come up with was to point it at the guy and hope that just having the gun the guy would leave. Either way.....cop or not come running at me and kick in my door and I will likely be shooting you. The cop should have announced himself as such. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't but if he didn't they should throw the book at the guy.
Old April 28, 2011, 03:43 PM   #53
TailGator

It is difficult to discern what led up to the shooting, with conflicting reports about a dispute over a parking place and whether or not the civilian pointed a gun at the shooter. The one detail that stands out to me is and does not seem to be in dispute is that the shooter ran away after the shooting. That is not the way a LEO would act if he thought he was lawfully apprehending a criminal or a suspect.

My bet is that as we learn more about this situation, even if some of it is unflattering to Taylor, it is going to become apparent that the cop reacted with unjustified rage to something.
Old April 28, 2011, 05:16 PM   #54
Casimer

Quote:
if this is representative of the mindset of the PPD, it is one scary situation.
I don't know how pervasive it is, but it's there. Here's an encounter that depicts the attitude pretty well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-vUYeJXSrA

*NSFW, lots of swearing

The sergeant who is recorded at the beginning is like an old Philly cop, and the backup that arrives is the new Philly cop. Notice how the sergeant is trying to calm the other cops down.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:42 PM   #55
JustThisGuy

It's still a pretty good argument for transporting guns in their gun cases.

If the gun was in his hand walking to the car, that's just not very smart. In many jurisdictions, Gun in hand = about to use.

It's a good idea to keep a gun holstered or in its case. Just my opinion.

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.
Old May 11, 2011, 02:04 PM   #56
Kodyo

Any idea of the outcome of the victims condition?
A quick google search yields nothing but what's already been said.
Old May 11, 2011, 05:15 PM   #57
Glenn E. Meyer

We are going nowhere, so I'm closing it.

Deleted three posts that were just folks preaching a touch about cops.

Important points were made before that.

Tags
attack , cop